Grunting, What's Wrong With It?

Options

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    You're at a gym. If you have an issue with grunting, or people sweating, or smelling bad, then I suggest a home gym.

I suppose you could say the same thing about restaurants. If you don't want to hear people laughing and having a good time, then stay home. Sounds simple enough, except that there are always extremes that break the rules. Regardless people are definitely allowed to be annoyed and complain...even if we don't agree with it.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    No anti-grunters? I know they are out there...
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Grunting with effort is okay as long as it isn't a kiai grunt. I have heard some guys making loud grunting as it they were rutting in bed with some bimbo, apparently just to call attention to themselves. It works, but not in a good way. But performing a Val Salva maneuver (when you hold your breath to increase intraabdominal pressure) can increase the risk of heart attack and stroke, depending on your risks. That's how Elvis died. Keep breathing throughout the movement to be on the safe side.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    You're at a gym. If you have an issue with grunting, or people sweating, or smelling bad, then I suggest a home gym.

I think the issue is when it's the loud yelling grunt that's heard all across the gym in the 'check me out. YEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!" kind of way.

I'm fine with a normal human grunt that says "yes, my weight is heavy. I'm struggling but it's cool." Not the annoying show-off grunt that just makes the person doing it look like a complete tool. I grunt I'm nearing failure on my set but I don't make a big production out of it like some people do.

I agree that sometimes it is too much, but it really doesn't bother me.
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's basically the same reaction I have to people who sneeze loudly. I suppose it's possible that they absolutely can't keep from dragging out that sneeze so that the entire floor can offer them a blessing, but I have my doubts.

I am a loud sneezer and it has nothing to do with wanting everyone to bless me. Sometimes my sneezes sneak up on me and they are very loud and they actually hurt my throat. It drives my husband nuts when my sneezes come out that way but I can't help it. :blushing: There's no way for me to know how my sneeze is going to come out until it's there.

Ditto here - I have the LOUDEST sneezes and hiccoughs and I so wish I could be quiet and not have anyone look at me.... and they both hurt my lungs too :(
  • NekaMaye88
    NekaMaye88 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's context specific. When deadlifting, okay. When on the treadmill, it's a bit much.

:laugh:

Agreed :)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I grunt when I lift, don't care if anyone else does.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

I suppose you could say the same thing about restaurants. If you don't want to hear people laughing and having a good time, then stay home. Sounds simple enough, except that there are always extremes that break the rules. Regardless people are definitely allowed to be annoyed and complain...even if we don't agree with it.

Oh they are absolutely allowed to, but I'll still get snarky with them. :tongue: Some people hate kids being at a restaurant, but that doesn't mean that they should have to leave. But yes, there ARE some extremes.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    No anti-grunters? I know they are out there...

I'm anti- only if someone is making a scene, grunting, and throwing weights around, all to show every person within a square mile around them that they are the fittest/most attractive/most badass person at the gym.

If it's grunting in terms of "i'm providing an effort, therefore I'm straining a little," I think it's totally fine. But I should not be able to hear you over my own headphones while you're doing wrist curls.
  • Eyesee
    Eyesee Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I used to think grunting was a show-off thing-- maybe because I've mostly been exposed to those types of "hear them across the gym through headphones" guys who grin and give you the "wassup" head-nod when they get your attention-- but when I started using weights (and I don't even lift a crazy amount) sometimes it is hard not to grunt at least a bit, just from exerting the effort. So maybe there should be some middle ground between the Planet Fitness method of grunt-hate and the "check me out grrrrrrruuuuuuYEEEEEEAAAAAHHH!!!" guys.

(So maybe you can count me as an ex-grunt-hater? Good luck finding the person you wanted to debate with, lol.)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    (So maybe you can count me as an ex-grunt-hater? Good luck finding the person you wanted to debate with, lol.)

Yeah, this would be me too I guess. And where is that guy?!

I actually posted this after reading a thread about Planet Fitness. I've never been there, and I get what they are trying to do, but grunting is not in and of itself wrong... at all.

Hell sometimes it helps to get the weight up, but then again I'm definitely not looking around afterwards to see if anyone is watching my sweet set :laugh:
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

Yeah, this would be me too I guess. And where is that guy?!

I actually posted this after reading a thread about Planet Fitness. I've never been there, and I get what they are trying to do, but grunting is not in and of itself wrong... at all.

Hell sometimes it helps to get the weight up, but then again I'm definitely not looking around afterwards to see if anyone is watching my sweet set :laugh:

It's not bad to grunt but when the grunter is doing it for the sole purpose of showing off and getting high fives and nods from their bro's then it's annoying and unnecessary.

I go to Planet Fitness and I grunt. I also tend to stamp my feet when the weight is getting really heavy too. The point is you can't hear me across the gym when I'm doing it.

I laugh at the people who do the extremely loud grunting because they sound like complete tools.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I laugh at the people who do the extremely loud grunting because they sound like complete tools.

Eh. I think it's fine that a couple of months ago, some guy let out a hellacious grunt while doing bench press. It turns out he was doing a new 1RM of 4-something. Yeah - you're pushing 400+ lbs - you can grunt as loud as you need.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I grunt from time to time. Sometimes it may be on high rep sets of push ups.

I think most people can recognize genuine grunts of exertion vs. 'look at me,I'm a rock star' grunts.
  • foolsforsarah
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know Explosivedonut!
    Boy am I glad there are people out there so bothered by online spelling and grammar! You keep up the hard work, keep the streets safe ;)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    At my gym grunting seems to increase in amount and volume in proportion to the number of women in hearing range

Lol at MY gym I'm usually the only one grunting. There are very few serious lifters who know what the *kitten* they are doing at my gym.
  • magentamorbid
    magentamorbid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Grunting is fine. I make faces and swear at myself sometimes lol. The only time I'm annoyed is when the guys are sounding like they're in labor or dropping a massive one. There is no need and frankly it's off putting. I've walked past a gym before that I considered joining and kept walking when I could hear, from outside, everyone grunting.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Its also depends if its a male or a female grunting. I hate to say this but whenever I hear women grunting while lifting it sounds like they are having an orgasm and I begin to feel slightly uncomfortable.

You are the most sexist person I've encountered on the internet. I feel like I should send you a medal. :noway:
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    How about cursing... when I am going for that last rep I often let and F-bomb or a MuthaFer slip... or a **** grunt....

The obnoxious loud grunts are good too, lets you know who the @$$holes are