What does your day look like? Fitting in exercise...

Options
I have completely hit a slump when it comes to exercise. I keep making excuses that I'm busy and too tired to add daily exercise into my day. I know I'm only BS'ing myself because there are TONS of people who have much busier schedules than mine but manage to get their workouts in. I have 2 small children who rarely sleep through the night so I never get a full nights sleep.

My typical days looks like this:
Wake up, get ready for work and get kids ready for daycare
Go to work until noon
Pick up the kids
Lunch
Nap time for the kids while I clean the house/organize/manage bills
Make dinner
Have quality family time
Get kids to bath and bed (that takes anywhere from 1-2 hours, ugh, mentally exhausting!)
Clean up the house (again)
Crash!

So ... how do you all do it? Have energy to go through your busy days but still get to the gym, do homework outs, etc ...

I'd love to hear from others to get motivation and help me to tell myself to 'suck it up! this is life, just do it!'

Thanks!

Replies

• yesirodriguez120
    Options
    My day is not busy at all as I am a stay at home mom but I still managed to make excuses not to go to the gym even though I just sat on the couch watching tv all day. (Too sore, I "don't have time", I see no results) but as I tried on my clothes and realized I looked TERRIBLE I decided it was time! I'm on day 5 of the 30 day squat challenge and 30 day abs challenge. I took my after picture this morning and seeing the results from day 1, I refuse to be a couch potato! looking good in my clothes again is what motivated me! make time for yourself it's possible. Event though its hard, CUT THE EXCUSES! :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Make part of "quality family time something active like walks, playing, dancing around the living room or even playing "pick up" so you will have less to do later. Make sure this active time is about an hour before bath/bed time. You may also want to limit naptime to an hour. My kids would refuse to go to sleep on time if their nap was longer than an hour.
  • rhia575
    rhia575 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My day goes typically like this.
    5am start - eat breakfast and coffee
    -30 minute run
    -work
    -tidy up/clean
    -workout - strength training/p90x or some form of circuit training
    -cook
    -clean up
    -shower
    -whatever i can fit in before i sleep
  • SaraAxm
    SaraAxm Posts: 30
    Options
    My days basically looks like this.
    4.30-5 am: Up, drink a cup of coffee and eat something light.
    5 am - 5.30 am: First training session (90-120 min)
    7.30 Breakfast, shower, getting ready for work.
    8 am get on the train to work
    9 am - 4 or 5 pm: At work
    5 or 6 pm Home from work, eat something.
    6.30 pm Either going to the stable or have my second training session.
    8.30 pm Either the stable or my second training session.
    10.30 Home, eat again.
    11.30 - midnight: Bed

Then up again and do the same thing the next day. On day offs I might manage to fit into some more sleep and a 3rd training session. Sometimes I start earlier and can only fit an hour of training into the morning. Sometimes I get home earlier and can go to bed earlier in the evening. Sometimes i can work-out on my lunchbreak.

It's all about priorities ;)
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    6am- wake up, make kids lunches, take care of dog quickly
    620-730am work out upstairs to a DVD
    740- take kids to school
    8-3pm-work from home, in between do housework
    3-6pm, homework, after school activities, sports, etc.
    6-830pm-dinner, nightly duties, get kids to bed
    9-10:30-relax and watch TV
    11pm- bed

I need to work out first thing!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I sacrifice the cleanliness of my house.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I just make myself do it. I'm a single mom with 2 dogs and 2 jobs and I still do it :)

6am wake up, take dogs out, get ready for work and son ready for school
    715am drop son off at school and go to work
    730-430pm work
    430-615pm pick up son, go home, take dogs out, homework, dinner
    615-745 gym
    8-9pm snacks, check homework, put to bed

Yes, I cram a lot into my days and I don't schedule hours of quality time. I do what I have to do I guess on weekdays and then weekends are playtime. We have a lot less to do so we spend a lot of time at playgrounds, hikes etc to get workouts in and have our quality time
  • shonnaatch
    shonnaatch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I, too, always said I was too busy but came to realize that's just an excuse. I committed to 30 minutes per day, six days per week and have been at that for three weeks. I take longer walks on the weekends when I have more time. Here's what my day looks like right now:

6 a.m. - Out of bed to workout
    6:45 a.m. - Quick shower and get ready for work
    7:30 a.m. - Out the door for my 30 minute commute
    8 a.m. - 5 p.m. - Work
    5:30 p.m. - Home from work, quick change of clothes and grab a snack
    6 p.m. - 9 p.m. - Work my second job (I own an airbrush tanning business)
    9 p.m. - 10 p.m. - Shower, check in with teenagers (they are older and self-sufficient, thank Gawd!), meditate, bed

I am VERY sleep sensitive so I am usually asleep by 10:30 at the latest. Working 11-12 hours every day can be exhausting and I made excuses for a very long time that I was just too tired and too busy to find any time to exercise, but the truth is you can ALWAYS find time if it's important to you. Like I said, I up my workouts to an hour or so on the weekends when I have more time. My daughter plays competitive softball and always has to be at the ballpark an hour before her game time. I've started using that waiting around time to take a walk instead of just sitting around or going to eat breakfast somewhere. When you make exercise a priority...you seem to find time you never thought you had.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    4am - Wake and protein shake
    4:10 - 4:30 - Dogs Morning Walk
    4:30-4:50 - PreWorkout and get ready to leave
    5:00 - At the gym start my work out
    6:30 - Finish my workout head to work
    7:15 - Showered and eating breakfast at my desk while reading emails
    11:45 - Home to walk my dogs and protein shake.
    12:30 - Back at work eating lunch
    4:15 - leave work
    4:30 - Home and walking the dogs
    6:00 - Dinner
    8:45 - Protein Shake
    9 pm - Asleep to repeat.

And some other random stuff goes on in between there but that is the majority of my day.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    4:45 a.m. - 4:50 a..m. Try to get my azz out of bed
    5 a.m. Workout
    6:30 a.m. Shower and get dressed for work
    7 a.m. Drop-off the kids and drive to work
    8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Work
    4:30 p.m. -5:30 p.m. Drive home and pick-up the kids along the way
    5:30 p.m. Take the dog out for a quick walk and potty break
    6 p.m. - 8 p.m. Depends on the day of the week. Tues & Wed. kids have activities. Otherwise cook dinner and prepare lunches for tomorrow, help the kids out with homework and do stuff around the house.
    8 - 9 p.m. Get clothes ready for the next day and get the kids ready for bed.
    9 p.m. Shower
    9:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m. Sleep!!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    my day looks a lot like yours except it starts at 430am because I work full time and come home to do homework, so if I don't exercise early I don't get it in. I have three kids, the youngest is 12 weeks.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    4:15 - up, Preworkout
    4:35 - At Gym
    6:05 - Home
    6:30 - Get Kids Up
    7:00 - Drop at Daycare
    8ish-4:30ish - Work
    5-9 - Chores and Play with kids
    9-10ish - Go to bed.

M-TH.
  • tiffanyletnes
    tiffanyletnes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i HATE that people say its about priorities - 2 full time working parents with 1hr commutes both ways to work and 2 school aged kids with sports and homework every night.... yup those ARE priorities!!! We are very active as a family - skiing in the winter and biking in the summer BUT making it to the gym for extended cardio and weight lifting is something that i CAN NOT do and for everyone who says i can if i WANTED TO then try a day in my shoes and GOOD LUCK!
  • runningvegan
    Options
    Exercise during naptime. Probably not necessary to clean the house mid day when you have the afternoon for it to get messed up again.

You don't mention what you do in the afternoons between naptime and dinner, but you could probably fit in some exercise with the kiddos there too.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am a mother of 2 (2 & 4) a wife and a carreer woman.
    5:15 Wake Up - Turbo Fire (30 min to 65 min)
    7:30 am - Work
    9:00 am - Breakfast
    11:00 am - 2 Mile Run
    12:00 pm Lunch
    3:30 pm - Snack
    4:30 pm - Off work
    6:00 pm - Dinner
    8:00 pm - Stretch & Focused strength work out of the day (Squats, lunges, pushups, etc x50)
    10:00 pm - Bed

Wash. Rinse. Repeat
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    5 am up
    5:15 to 6:15 at gym
    7:30 till 2 work
    2-3 errands, housework
    3:15 to 3:45 pick up kids
    3:45 dinner prep, play
    5:30 dinner
    6-7:30 family time, kids to bed
    8-9 husband time
    9:30 bed

If not able to get to the gym in the morning...I work out at 2.
    You can find somewhere to fit it in!
    You sound a wee bit defensive Tiffany....
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    5:30 am - up, let dogs out, start coffee;

5:45 am-6:15 am - HIIT on elliptical or a 30 minute walk around campus between 7:00 & 7:30 a.m. (unless you're me this week and been allergied out, and not sleeping, LOL)

6:20-7:00/15 am - coffee, get ready for work.

7:30 - 3:30 - work (and do a round or two of stairs to the top during my day)

4:00-4:30 pm - chill, drink a glass of water, change clothes

4:30-5:15/30 pm - Lift weights M,T, Th, F, or walk dogs for 30 minutes after dinner if not lifting.

5:30-9:30 pm - cook/eat dinner, catch up on tv, read, hot bath, and whatever else I can fit in before bed.

Of course, my kids are grown and out of the house so that does tend to shave a lot off of the to-do list daily.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Get up at 6:50, get two kids to school.

Get to work around 9:00 and work all day (generally add in a few work related functions - board meetings, dinner meetings, charity things).

Get home around 6:30, feed kids, take care of household stuff, kid activities if we have any, pets, etc.

Get kids to bed around 9:00 and then work more usually.

I go to Curves 3x a week. I aim for M, W, and Sa.

It's not the best workout, but with my work hours and kids, I can't do an hour a day or 5x a week.
  • athene_circe
    athene_circe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well, it's changed quite a bit now that my kids are adults. I wake up - have breakfast - walk to work - at lunch I try to get outside after I eat and walk a bit more (window shopping, etc.) - at 5pm I walk home. Eat dinner, hang out with my kids if either of them are home, and generally I go up to my room a half hour before bed time and do yoga for 30 minutes (helps me de-stress and relax so I sleep better).

When my kids were little like yours, the easiest workout was just to throw them in the stroller and walk for an hour. Pushing the stroller just added to the workout. When I was walking an hour per day I lost 2 pounds a week without even watching what I ate!

For me it works best to just include movement and fairly relaxed, stretching-base workouts. So many people seem to feel that it's not a good workout unless they get sweaty and out of breath but I think for some people (especially busy moms!) that just adds to the stress. Keep it simple and consistent and it will clear your head and calm you at the same time as you slowly get physically healthier.
  • Trissyboo
    Trissyboo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I have an LO and I work full time. My days are different so there is no need to list the times and activities but as a mom I will say that the following things help me to make sure that I have time to get my workouts in:
    1. I organize all clothes for myself and my daughter for the coming week on Sunday afternoon. This means picking five outfits that include socks, underwear, bras, and accessories. Doing this prevents the morning hustle of trying to decide what to wear.
    2. Put all items that you need for work the next day the night before if you can. I put things like my sneakers, gym bag, and things like that in the car the night before.
    3. Try to cook two meals in one night. When I make dinner lets say on Monday night I also start dinner for Tuesday night. Making the meat or the sides in advance will help cut down on the time that you spend cooking.
    4. I workout on my lunch break. For some this is not possible but for me it is essential. It helps me feel less guitly as a mom when I get home with my LO in the evenings. It also leaves time for things like the park, dance, sports, and other evening activities.

I have a lot more helpful tips if you would like. Friend me and I am happy to share. Most importantly though you have to make tiem for yourself and to take care of yourself. If you don't... there will be no one there to take care of your family.