Replies

• goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym WITH CHILD CARE:flowerforyou: :smile:
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom of twins and I work full time.
    I schedule exercise like I schedule everything else. I work out 3 times a week at the same time and I don`t veer from that. It`s like work, I have to go. Kids come with me to the gym, as they have a daycare. I have to adjust some if their sports interfere otherwise, they get there nights for sports, I get mine. Works perfect.
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 year old and a 5 month old. I do one of three things, get up at 4:30am and do my workout (P90X or Jillian DVD's) before every one is awake, both kids are in bed by 7:30 so I can work out after they are asleep, OR I work 7:30-4 and go to the gym directly after work and then I am at daycare in time for pick up (around 5:30). Weekends I get up and go in the morning and my hubby hangs out with the kids.
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Full time single mom, 3 & 4 year old with a house to keep up. You'll find time if you really want it. I spend my lunch breaks at the gym, every day. I run every other weekend when I don't have my kids and I bring them to the gym on the weekends I do for an hour. If you want it bad enough, make it happen. =)
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    How on earth do you find time in the day to work out? I can barely keep up with the basics of keeping my house running with a 4 year old and 1 year old and a full time job! Unless I get up everyday to work out at 4am there are no other times that I would be sure to have both kids asleep and the living room to my self to work out.

How do you do it? Do I just need to be more motivated and suck it up and get up every day at 4?

I just do it because I know that I need to, I can't keep making excuses! I work out right when I get home, no excuses.
  • jangier
    jangier Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just had to make the time and make it a priority - some days it doesn't happen though and I need to be ok with that. I have a 4 and a 2 year old and work full time. I am lucky enough to have both a gym at my office and a gym at my home, so I like to say I have no excuses because of that. If I can't work out during my lunch I will work out in the morning and wake up around 4:45 to fit it in. I also try to keep my family active at night after work so we can spend some time together while I can burn a few extra calories. It is hard and I am right there with you, but once you force it in you can make it happen!
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    How on earth do you find time in the day to work out? I can barely keep up with the basics of keeping my house running with a 4 year old and 1 year old and a full time job! Unless I get up everyday to work out at 4am there are no other times that I would be sure to have both kids asleep and the living room to my self to work out.

How do you do it? Do I just need to be more motivated and suck it up and get up every day at 4?

I do just that... wake up at 4:30. I am at the gym by 5:30 and workout for an hour or hour and half. 6 days a week. I am amorning person so it works for me. I am in bed by 10PM latest every night.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options

My kids are on a schedule. I get home just before six. They go to bed at eight so quality time is the utmost. I also go to the gym on Sat & Sun mornings (between 6 and 8 am). I 'workout' with the kids some days but I get down to business whey they go to bed.
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a 9 year old, a one year old, and a full time job. So I feel your pain. I work out at 4 every morning. I know it sounds early, but it is the only time I have time. I have way too many excuses at night so when I work out in the morning it is over with. Just adjust your bedtime if you need to. It doesn't work for everyone but it works for me.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am lucky enough to have both a gym at my office and a gym at my home, so I like to say I have no excuses because of that.

I need a like button for this because this is my situation. I show up at the office gym first thing on Sat & Sun. The rest of the week I workout in the house or go to the gym in my neighborhood (mostly do it at home).
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 430AM Mon-Friday. I work out from 5-6AM. Make breakfast and put all pre packed lunches on the counter with ice packs. I wake my 3 kids (10,9 and 6) at 630. I go get showered/dressed/made up/ hair done while they get dressed and eat. I take them to school at 8. I work 9-6. I walk 0.75 miles on each of my 15 minute breaks (2) and I walk on my lunch hour for atleast a mile. I then go home and have dinner. I work out for another hour. The kids have already done HW with the babysitter and put themselves to bed. I also run a cake decorating business and usually have to work on orders 2-3 nights per week for a few hours. I then pack my and my bf's lunch for the next day...kids packed their own with the babysitter. I prep dinner for the next day so my bf just has to make the final prep for it when he gets home from work the next day (season meat, put in slow cooker, prep veggies etc....) I take a quick shower to get the sweat off me and then go to bed by 11/12 each night. so i make do with 4-5.5 hours of sleep. I know a lot can't do that but i do. and yes....i agree that i'm insane.
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 and a 1 too....so I have to get up before my boys to get my workouts in...its hard I know !
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm a single working mom. I have a 9 year old daughter. Granted its easier since she's older but that just means she has evening activities that I have to take her to as well. lol
    I have to be up at 5 am just to get ready for work so she and I can be out the door by 6:15 at the latest so there is no getting up early to workout. I already don't want to get up then.
    Most evenings are filled with homework, dinner, housework, and activities.
    Here's what I do: 2 or 3 times a week I walk during my lunch break and then eat at my desk while I work and I take kickboxing classes on Thursday nights and Saturday mornings. I can take my daughter with me to the classes and she can either sit quietly and play games or read or whatever or she can participate.
  • mboc
    mboc Posts: 7
    Options
    Someone may have mentioned this, but a lot of YMCA's have childcare. I hate to leave my kiddo after being at work all day so I am forcing the 5 am wake up. Thinking of buying a "sweater hanger" aka treadmill for xmas. I feel your pain, and I only have one!
  • KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 a.m. and squeeze it in before my kids get up. It's early and sometimes it's hard to get up but it's worth it!
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I work out at lunchtime. It doesn't give me a lot of time - 30 minutes with the other 30 minutes for travel & showering, etc. - but if it weren't for that I don't know what I would do. I'm a Type 1 diabetic so working out first thing in the morning when my blood sugar is low and I haven't eaten yet isn't a safe option (plus I'm not a morning person anyway). After work I pick my daughter up from school and have to get her situated with homework, activities, dinner, etc., etc., etc. and by the time she goes to bed I've got to take care of whatever other household chores there are. My boyfriend travels for work most of the time, so it's just me taking care of everything. By the time all that is done, I'm too tired to do anything else!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Honestly, sucking it up. I fail at this too.
    When I was single and lost a bunch of weight, I worked out even after a 12 hour day at work. I worked out 4-5 days a week, cardio, and at least some lifting.

Now married and having a 1 year old, I try to take a walk right after we get home for an hour. Also, my work allows you to combine your breaks throughout the day if you want to work out so I can take a straight 1 hour break and walk or use the workout room. The problem is bringing clothes with or I forget my shoes!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have twin 4 year old boys, so I hear you.

I don't know where you live, but if there's a YMCA in your area, they will likely have a "Babysitting while you work out" feature. Many other gyms have child care as well. That's what I do on the weekends, usually either Sat or Sun.

Sounds like you work out at home. I am not a morning person, I prefer evening, so after bedtime is when I can do it, but that's mostly when I do housework (laundry, making lunches, etc). I have an elliptical machine at home, but I'm tired after putting the kiddos to bed.

During the week, I have a lot more energy if I go right to the gym after work and my husband puts the kids to bed. Other days, he often works late and I put them to bed. So it evens out.
  • powerpuffgirl66
    powerpuffgirl66 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My son is 11 now. I'm a single mom. Work full-time and have two dogs. My exercise includes morning pre-work dog power walk, afternoon post-work dog power walk (about 20-30 mins each, sometimes a third right before bed) and HIIT/weight workouts in my livingroom after my son goes to bed five days/week. Sometimes I don't get around to it until 11p.m. But I'm doing this for myself. It's always less than an hour.

You need to make it work for your schedule and lifestyle.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 430AM Mon-Friday. I work out from 5-6AM. Make breakfast and put all pre packed lunches on the counter with ice packs. I wake my 3 kids (10,9 and 6) at 630. I go get showered/dressed/made up/ hair done while they get dressed and eat. I take them to school at 8. I work 9-6. I walk 0.75 miles on each of my 15 minute breaks (2) and I walk on my lunch hour for atleast a mile. I then go home and have dinner. I work out for another hour. The kids have already done HW with the babysitter and put themselves to bed. I also run a cake decorating business and usually have to work on orders 2-3 nights per week for a few hours. I then pack my and my bf's lunch for the next day...kids packed their own with the babysitter. I prep dinner for the next day so my bf just has to make the final prep for it when he gets home from work the next day (season meat, put in slow cooker, prep veggies etc....) I take a quick shower to get the sweat off me and then go to bed by 11/12 each night. so i make do with 4-5.5 hours of sleep. I know a lot can't do that but i do. and yes....i agree that i'm insane.

WOW, I am tired just reading that!!!
This discussion has been closed.