I Can't Believe It's Not Butter-spray....I think it's bad fo

Options
2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    I actually recommend getting rid of butter everywhere that it isn't required for a recipe to cook properly and to avoid recipes where it's required.

For instance, butter is NOT required in order to make a grilled cheese sandwich. I just do a light spray across the pan with some Pam Olive Oil spray and that suffices to help brown the outside of the sandwich. That spray is calorie free but even if it wasn't, at least it's made from olive oil and is a healthy fat.

Also, keep something in mind: in many Mediterranean countries, they don't have butter because they don't have refrigerators and don't keep food for multiple days. For instance, I have family that lives in Lebanon and they cook with olive oils and with...*trumpet flares*...NOTHING.

You just have to slowly eek it out of your diet. If you're making a grilled cheese sandwich, portion out the butter ahead of time and use only half of it. Then the next time, portion out only half of that amount. By the third time, you should be butter-free. Also, try adding a tomato to a grilled cheese. It tastes really amazing, but NOT if there's butter involved. So that could help too.

As to other items, just remember to PRE-PORTION.

As Americans, one of the WORST things we do is BRING THE BUTTER to the table. If you prepare your meal at the counter and immediately put the butter back in the fridge, you will not be as tempted to put on more. The same goes for salts, syrups, etc.

When you create a meal that traditionally would have butter in it--baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob...the list goes on and on, just DON'T use it. I promise that most of these recipes don't NEED butter!!!

Did you know that in order to process properly, a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese really only needs 1/4 of the butter that's listed on the recipe??!!!

Also, most cakes and pies don't need butter to bake correctly. So just look for the loopholes and you'll get it out of your diet.
    None of this makes sense unless you think butter is the reincarnation of satin. One of the reasons I love Europe and the Med is the quality of the butter found in abundance along with the EVOO
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    any butter (fake or not) will probably be bad for you, but it makes the world go round! i love country crock, but i just use in moderation. you might look into smart balance spread...not too sure about the amount of calories but it is supposedly better than butter/margarine.

you're not suppose to unscrew the cap and just pour it out, mary!! i probably would do the same thing...lmao!

Yah no...

Butter is fine....

I like the spray...as a spray on veggies etc but never on toast etc...blah...but we can't get it here on a regular basis...:sad:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    What's with all the butter hate? :grumble:

I mean, just look at this. Look at it.

121401-HERO-9fd1befd-3178-46b4-9b87-1da9c3e35697-0-472x310_zps9f559008.jpg
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I know it sucks! There are like 900 calories in one bottle. I always buy it thinking I will count out my sprays and be responsible. I count 4 calories for every 5 sprays and then I realize I am not responsible enough to handle I can't believe it's not butter and then I don't buy it for a while. lol It is sooo delicious on popcorn! Err!
  • ennoviasonipse
    Options
    MMM that looks toooo yummy!!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I don't like the chemical taste that it has. I prefer to use real butter in moderation.
  • running_tall
    running_tall Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I spray it on toast and baked potatoes.
    The only time I pour is when I use it for cooking, and I still use sparingly...like to season vegetables.

I'm looking at it strictly from a calorie perspective. I know there are those who look at artificial products and added chemicals as being bad...and I know they are. But right now...it's difficult enough for me to keep my calories under control. It helps me to be able to find lower calorie alternatives that still taste good. Bottom line...moderation is key...at least for me!
  • foolsforsarah
    Options
    Use Oils.
    Coconut oil and Olive oil are some great options. Granted you don't want too much but they fats in them are healthy. You can buy a bottle that will pump and spray your cooking oils that way you arent using too much on breads and things..
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I use it on corn on the cobb, which unfortunately will be out of season soon....on the plus side I won't need it anymore.
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to use the spray stuff but now I stick to olive oil and earth balance. I just found it didn't taste right.