Does anyone else find entering everything they eat annoying?

Options

Replies

• jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn't work for everyone (most of the time including me), but maybe try pre-logging everything in the beginning of the day, then adding/removing/modifying as you go. You might pre-log that you'll eat a serving of your dinner, then actually eat two, that's a simpler change than finding everything at every meal.

I don't pre-log anymore because I like to know when it hits 6pm and I've only had 300 cals (I work 70+ hours a week and am a full time student, time is hard) but if I can do it, you can too.

Good luck, FR or PM me if you'd like.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Not nearly as annoying as I find being fat :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,592 Member
    Options
    Kids do sleep. It takes a few minutes to log. If you're not diligent about it, then don't expect results. Sorry, but it's gonna take "annoying" effort if getting back to where you were is your goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Logging food gives me results I am after so no, it's not annoying at all. I usually pre-log bigger meals/ dinner to make sure that I won't eat too much at the end of the day. The only diffiiculty is eating out. That plate of salmon sashimi - was it 90 grams? 130? I never know for sure
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to post to say that the iOS app is awesome.

Techies don't get enough credit so here's some from me. :)
  • robeff
    robeff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat similar things and cook in batches so it's not so bad. I think it ultimately saves more time to prep stuff in advance. Also has the added benefits of making it easier to stick to an eating plan and everything stays towards the top of the list..
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love it. It makes me feel like for the first time in years I am on control of what and how much I am eating. It makes me feel I am in control of food and not it being in control of me.
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe that if something is important enough for us, we will find/make the time to do it.
    I have a friend in the US who claims she has no time to log into MFP and record her food, but she does have the time to faithfully watch " Honey Boo Boo " and the " Kardashians ". Don' quite understand it.

OMG! You need to save her RIGHT NOW! Intervention is needed!!
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I use a samsung galaxy and the app I have often glitches out

Yeah, the app a POS, but if you work with it it'll work for you.

Try deleting the app and installing it again. That's what I had to do with my phone. The results see from logging are completely worth a little annoyance. lol :):) You can do it! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    nvm someone already answered about the bar code scanner
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I would rather log my food than be fat.
  • bartonjack
    bartonjack Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't get annoying. It a great way to keep me honest in what I eat and how much I can eat. I always know where I am at. It's a great help!
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's a little annoying, but it's what I need to do to keep track.

If you find you don't have time because of baby. Until the time where you find the time to do it, you could just eat more mindfully instead of eating everything and anything. Not saying that you necessarily are, just saying that sometimes just thinking before you put food in your mouth helps.. I know I use to graze all day when breastfeeding, and although I lost weight even doing that, once I got back to work and stopped breastfeeding, I didn't stop the habit and that's what cause my belly to become pregnant looking again.

Or think of your logging as a way to help you control what you eat before you even log, especially if mindlessly munching throughout the day, which is way too easily done with a baby as sometimes it's the only thing you feel you have time to do. Such as . if I eat it, I'll have to log it... am I really hungry/do I really need to eat this now/Can it wait/Is there a healthier alternative?
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yeah it is really tough. But as many have said it is certainly worth it. I just gotta find that groove again. Narf.

I don't find entering my food annoying. I actually find it sort of cathartic. We are all different, though. I had my 3rd child, about 10 months ago, and my hands are very full (I have 3 kids under 5). I think what you said is true - you just need to find your groove. There's not much more to it. I find that it's a great way to take care of myself. I do so much for my children and husband, so tracking my food/calories is something small i can do, just for me. I think you have to find a way to enjoy it, so that it doesn't become something you resent. I really love eating healthy, and budgeting my macros. It's like a fun game, for me. Be patient with yourself. You'll get this!
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It like it.

Except when there is something I just can't figure out how to add in. Like there's this speciality bakery I want to go to and there is no way I can even begin to calculate the fancy sweet I want.

But it's really satisfying to plan what I eat for the day or realize I haven't eaten that much so I can eat some tacos or something.
  • littlenature
    Options
    I think it gets easier the more you do it as your most frequent foods/ meals are easy to find so you don't need to search and enter every single thing unless you're eating something completely new. So I think it's worth sticking to for to a while! It'll also become habit soon.

And definitely try the app again, I have a Samsung Galaxy, too, and I find it works well (not perfectly but well enough!).

The only thing I find really really annoying is that I want to be accurate with my calories but I have lunch given to me at work and although I can control the portion, I don't have any choice in the content! I sometimes bring my own lunch so that I know exactly what I'm eating, but then I'm passing uo on free food, which I can't always afford to do!
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I found being fat a lot more annoying.

this...
  • denisegunnels
    denisegunnels Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It can get that way. I was pretty obsessive in the beginning. :noway: Use quick tools and just enter the calories. It only tracks the calories but it's fast and easy.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    Honestly the most value for me is to enter it before I eat. Gives me a perspective of what I have left to eat (calories and macros) and let's me be a bit more rational about it.

After the fact allows me to eat on the fly, and I'm still getting used understanding nutrition so I'm more apt to make errors.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I've been here a little over a year. I stopped counting a few months ago. I weight train 3 times a week and do a little walking and/or yard work for cardio. At first, I was maintaining so I adjusted what I eat and am losing (slowly) again. You just have to learn which foods are better for you, how much is an adequate portion, and how to balance your treats and snacks.

I still use the diary on occasion when I'm just curious about something I haven't had before. If I think I've had too much on one day, I'll add in a little cardio or eat less on another day that week to make up for it. I'm still losing and I don't feel obsessive or deprived of anything. I don't eat breakfast anymore and my lunches are one of the two lunches I was eating back when I was counting; the higher calorie one on training days and the lesser calorie one on rest days. I know that this leaves me plenty of calories for a satisfying dinner (I like big meals) and an occasional dessert.

Don't get in a hurry about it. Just keep trying different things until you find what works for you and what you think you can continue to do for a lifetime.