Strange American sayings from an English Perspective

Options

Replies

• dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    They snicker at you if you order a "Scotch" in Scotland.
    Cheeky buggers.
    WTF would you order? Just "whisky", and it's assumed? Do you have to specify single-malt? Inquiring minds want to know!!

I was told to ask nicely for whiskey and if I were judged worthy, I'd be given the good stuff. If not, I'd be overcharged for the low end.

Which is why you order by name and don't water it down. If you must, get a glass of water on the side, stick your finger in it and flick it into your whisky glass.

Or order a Jameson. :flowerforyou:

In my defense, I was 19 at the time and had barely even made it out of Louisiana before finding myself across the world ordering grown up drinks.

Oh, and "Happy Birthday" to you and those awesome legs. :drinker:
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Here's another one. The road next to the highway/interstate, do you call it: 1) access road 2)feeder road 3) service road or 4)something completely different?

It's an off ramp =]

Access road... and the off ramp is only part if it as there is a road that parallels the highway.

We've always called them frontage roads

Edit to fix: I confused myself momentarily. Still tired.

The notion of a frontage road may be foreign to many people, because they don't exist in many states.

I've traveled quite a few states, but not nearly all of them. Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico. None of those states did I see many, if any frontage roads. I live in Oregon and cannot think of one at all.

It seems most every freeway (Controlled Access Highway) in Texas that I saw had a frontage road, but I hardly traveled all of Texas. I remember them in many places in New York and Florida.

So based on my limited travel experience, I would conclude that frontage roads are more of an eastern/southern thing.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I forgot about that one being used down here! Which part of Texas are you in? I'm originally from the Lubbock area, but I live around Austin now. My husband, from Seattle, calls it an access road, but he always looks at me puzzled whenever I say service road. And I've heard a very few people from the midwest call it a feeder road.
    Austin too. I've said access, feeder, frontage and service road. I'd never call it an off-ramp though. That's only the part that connects the highway with the frontage road.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    They snicker at you if you order a "Scotch" in Scotland.
    Cheeky buggers.
    WTF would you order? Just "whisky", and it's assumed? Do you have to specify single-malt? Inquiring minds want to know!!

I was told to ask nicely for whiskey and if I were judged worthy, I'd be given the good stuff. If not, I'd be overcharged for the low end.

Which is why you order by name and don't water it down. If you must, get a glass of water on the side, stick your finger in it and flick it into your whisky glass.

Or order a Jameson. :flowerforyou:

In my defense, I was 19 at the time and had barely even made it out of Louisiana before finding myself across the world ordering grown up drinks.

Oh, and "Happy Birthday" to you and those awesome legs. :drinker:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Here's another one. The road next to the highway/interstate, do you call it: 1) access road 2)feeder road 3) service road or 4)something completely different?

It's an off ramp =]

Access road... and the off ramp is only part if it as there is a road that parallels the highway.

The notion of a frontage road may be foreign to many people, because they don't exist in many states.

I've traveled quite a few states, but not nearly all of them. Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico. None of those states did I see many, if any frontage roads. I live in Oregon and cannot think of one at all.

It seems most every freeway (Controlled Access Highway) in Texas that I saw had a frontage road, but I hardly traveled all of Texas. I remember them in many places in New York and Florida.

So based on my limited travel experience, I would conclude that frontage roads are more of an eastern/southern thing.
    Even in NY anf FL, they're kind of rare. But we have one in Tallahassee off of a main street through town so I know what it is.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

How the hell do you get on and off the highway then?! /envisioning the ensuing carnage
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Here's one most Brits won't get unless they know a bit of current American History....

There is a saying "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." It's mostly used when discussing potential future problems that could come up as the result of taking a specific course of action that deviates from the current way of doing things.

In my former career in business, I was primarily a "Change Agent", hired by companies to implement new, cost effective ways of doing business. Almost always, the methods, software, policies or what ever I was suggesting to implement would be challenged by the "old guard" executives who were more concerned with being made obsolete by the changes.

I started responding to their challenges by taking a play on the above expression.
    I would say, "In the words of Ted Kennedy, We'll drive off that bridge when we get to it."

I always (purposefully) mix that with another popular old adage, and say , "We'll burn that bridge when we come to it."
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    and that leads me to..... pants = underwear. this is a source of potential hilarity when Brits and Americans interact
    First day I started working for my American boss he asked me to go and pick up his pants from the dry cleaners. I went bright red. How rude.
    Have grown up since then. Marginally.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Spaghetti Sauce does not belong on pizza. I will forgive you because you are from Utah, and probably think the pizza from the Pizza Factory is delicious.
    True story. Pizza sauce had better be sweeter, thicker, more highly spiced, and with no chunks in it! It also sometimes has the parm already stirred in.

I didn't realize how disgusting Happy Joe's pizza was until I went back for a visit a few years ago and got all nostalgic. Y'all go nuts for "taco pizza" up there too and that is not OK. :tongue:
  • AmDurling
    Options
    I am actually from the area that most of the sayings on that sight were created for. You hear some very back woods language in this area. I work with people from any different countries and it is rather humorous to use some of the sayings and watch their faces. My best friend is from England and we will throw different words into conversations just to make the other chuckle.
    Brits and American slang...interesting

http://www.dooryard.ca/index0.html try this site....Canadian/American/French/Brit/ Newfie influences....

Here is a couple for you...

Door yard...your yard....back or front
    blat - Cry
    bumble - go for a drive (usually on a back road in a 4x4 truck with some beer and music)
    unthaw - my fav...take it from freezer to thaw....don't ask
    willy wags - out in the middle of no where.
    over (insert word) cross'd - Go to the states,
    overhome - your house when you are not there
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

It's an off ramp =]

Nah. I have seen them in just about every state I have ever lived in. That includes several you mentioned that you didn't see them in.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Do other people use the phrase the *kitten* hole of no where to describe, in somewhat derogratory terms somewhere small/out of the way/no where near anything interesting.

We end the south use the phrase "BFE" or "bum f\/cked eqypt" to describe the middle of nowhere/small town.

For example
    "where are you from in Alabama?"
    "BFE"
    "oh, so a pretty rural place, huh?"

I have no idea where this phrase came from.
    Must be pretty specific to where you live. I know I'm a Yank and all, but I've lived in the South (rural Georgia and north Florida) for almost nine years and I know a lot of southerners, including half my BF's family. I have never heard that phrase.

The first time I heard the phrase was from my brother when he came home from basic training after joining the Marines. That was in the 80s. I've always attributed it to the military.

I'm Canadian, and around here we say "the middle of bumf**k nowhere" to describe small towns lol. (we have a lot haha)
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options

Also, to what goes on Pasta I believe the proper term is Mariana. I call it "Spaghetti Sauce" regardless of the use for it, even if put on pizza, its still spaghetti sauce.
    The sauce on pizza is NOT the same as the sauce on pasta.

It is if I make it. Call me weird all you want. I love taking a good Hunt's meat Spaghetti Sauce and using it for the sauce on a pizza.
    No no no! You are doing it AAAAALLLLLL wrong!!!

My grandmother would beat you with her walker for that. :laugh:

I don't like Pizza Sauce though :(
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Ok I'll concede
    on the math question, but come on they ain't sneakers they're TRAINERS

Nope. I'm Canadian and I call them runners.:flowerforyou:

Canadian... and was just about to write this but you beat me. :bigsmile:
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

How the hell do you get on and off the highway then?! /envisioning the ensuing carnage

First, our jargon would be "freeway" for a Controlled Access Highway, and "highway" for a road that may be 2 or 4 or more lanes but will have intersections with or without stop lights, etc.

You get on and off the freeway via the on and off ramps, of course. Just instead of the ramps going to/from frontage roads, they generally go to major highways that run perpendicular to the freeway.
  • rml_16
    Options

Th eoff-ramp leads to a road. But it's just a regular road, not an access or frontage or whatever road.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Northeast and Midwest are TOTALLY different places, culturally speaking! I grew up in the Northeast (upstate NY).
    That's gotta be it then! His grandpa's family is out of Buffalo, and it was kinda home base for a lot of years... Thank goodness I didn't pick that up the year I lived there!

Here's one. Does anybody call that red stuff you put on pasta or the other stuff you put on french fries (or chips, if you prefer) "gravy"? I can't remember if that one came from WNY or Rhode Island...

I am in Utah and most everyone here uses Fry Sauce, its sold in every grocery store here.
    But, I believe the answer to that one is ketchup.
    Also, to what goes on Pasta I believe the proper term is Mariana. I call it "Spaghetti Sauce" regardless of the use for it, even if put on pizza, its still spaghetti sauce.

Spaghetti Sauce does not belong on pizza. I will forgive you because you are from Utah, and probably think the pizza from the Pizza Factory is delicious.

Actually, no. I don't like Pizza unless I make it ... Or my grandma.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Here's one most Brits won't get unless they know a bit of current American History....

There is a saying "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." It's mostly used when discussing potential future problems that could come up as the result of taking a specific course of action that deviates from the current way of doing things.

In my former career in business, I was primarily a "Change Agent", hired by companies to implement new, cost effective ways of doing business. Almost always, the methods, software, policies or what ever I was suggesting to implement would be challenged by the "old guard" executives who were more concerned with being made obsolete by the changes.

I started responding to their challenges by taking a play on the above expression.
    I would say, "In the words of Ted Kennedy, We'll drive off that bridge when we get to it."

I always (purposefully) mix that with another popular old adage, and say , "We'll burn that bridge when we come to it."

*stealing*
  • rml_16
    Options
    True story. Pizza sauce had better be sweeter, thicker, more highly spiced, and with no chunks in it! It also sometimes has the parm already stirred in.

I didn't realize how disgusting Happy Joe's pizza was until I went back for a visit a few years ago and got all nostalgic. Y'all go nuts for "taco pizza" up there too and that is not OK. :tongue:
    Well, not necessarily sweeter.

The less sweet pasta sauce is a southern Italian thing. Us northern Italians make a very sweet marinara.

But you use different spices. And pizza sauce CAN have some chunks in it, but it usually doesn't. It's more about taste than consistency.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    We put ketchup on our fries.
    Vinegar is another popular option, or at least was when I lived there.

"Gravy" must be those wacky Rhode Islanders, then. They also drink "coffee milk", so whaddaya gonna do...?
    Vinegar on fries is very regional. I think it's a New England thing? I can't remember. But in NY we grew up putting ketchup on our fries.

I know a few NJ peeps who call marinara sauce "gravy." Hearing that makes my stomach turn! lol

To me, gravy is two things: the thick brown stuff people put on mashed potatoes or the thinner juices from a turkey.
    <<< --- Ohio. Vinegar on fries is good, especially if they're "fair fries," in a cup. lol