Does anyone else find entering everything they eat annoying?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Whether "dieting" or not, people tend to eat a lot of the same things over and over...once you log for a bit, all of that shows up in your frequently used or recent list...I pretty much plan my day ahead of time and log everything while I'm sitting down for breakfast; it takes me maybe 10 minutes to log my day...pre-planning my day also helps keep me in line. I occasionally have to make changes, but not often.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I think the annoying thing is when you first start and have to search for foods. I don't know if I just eat the same things all the time, but I think its easier as time goes on because everything is right there. Its really annoying when you can't find specifically what you ate after trying all kinds of searches.

I also agree, prelog what you will be eating and make sure to stick to that. I know how it can get at night between making dinner (some times 2 different dinners), cleaning up, getting kids to bed, bath, etc....especially on one of "those" days and the baby has a blow out and the older one "just remembered" he DOES have homework 30 minutes before bed time and needs help with it. But remember it really does take just a couple minutes total to have your whole day logged. Just another routine to get into that some people find easier to get into the groove of then others.

No **** kids sleep. That's also when YOU should sleep. Obviously some people haven't had a 4 month old before.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    At 1st I was. I started writing mines down, or either programming it in my notes on the phone, at the end of the day. I go on & log my foods. That helped me.
  • Erica6130
    Erica6130 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Whether "dieting" or not, people tend to eat a lot of the same things over and over...once you log for a bit, all of that shows up in your frequently used or recent list...I pretty much plan my day ahead of time and log everything while I'm sitting down for breakfast; it takes me maybe 10 minutes to log my day...pre-planning my day also helps keep me in line. I occasionally have to make changes, but not often.

Same here:wink:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    I spend less time logging food than I do creating a forum post and responding to it a bunch of times.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I find being fat way more annoying.

Anyway, you don't need motivation. You need discipline. Motivation comes and goes. Discipline is what you use to do it anyway, even when you're not motivated.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I find being fat way more annoying.

Anyway, you don't need motivation. You need discipline. Motivation comes and goes. Discipline is what you use to do it anyway, even when you're not motivated.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat mostly the same things, so once I log a food, it's pretty easy to find what I need in the recent foods tab.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Yes : it annoying and time consuming and awful. I hate it. I despise counting calories.

BUT! it's a necessary evil. Whenever I get grumpy about it I just repeat over and over again:

Suck it up, buttercup! It needs to be done.

Make a routine out of it... it will be slightly less annoying.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Not anymore. I used to feel that way, but now I have my regular meals saved and can rapidly enter what I eat from there. Sometimes I'll substitute an item or two, but that is way faster than entering each item individually. I also use the app and the barcode scanner for quick updates of items.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Try some time saving tricks.

For instance rice can be cooked in big batches, measured out into individual portions shaped like hamburger patties, wrapped, and stacked in the freezer. Microwave it and it comes out like you just cooked it!

My trick for meat - make roasts. I follow low temp cooking methods (very low temps, like 60C for pork and beef, 90c for chicken) and you don't need to keep an eye on it. Slice it up and freeze/refrigerate. Then use the MFP entries for raw meat and multiply your serving weight by 1.2

Eggs - watch Heston blumenthal's YouTube video. Using that method you can "boil" a dozen eggs at a time, no problem.

The key to all this is when you cook, cook a lot of stuff you can easily portion out.

Is it just me or is this off topic?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    I found being fat a lot more annoying.

this...
    Thirded.
    I tend to eat mostly the same things, so once I log a food, it's pretty easy to find what I need in the recent foods tab.

And this. My logging takes 5-10 minutes a day most of the time.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've even logged what was I was going to eat, then went out to eat it.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe that if something is important enough for us, we will find/make the time to do it.
    I have a friend in the US who claims she has no time to log into MFP and record her food, but she does have the time to faithfully watch " Honey Boo Boo " and the " Kardashians ". Don' quite understand it.

OMG! You need to save her RIGHT NOW! Intervention is needed!!

She recently retired and thinks it is her " right " now to watch this crap. She also tells me about a show where people buy lost suitcases for a 1000.- dollars or more....lol.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    For me it used to be so annoying but now I find it really useful. Logging has actually made my life eaiser in a weird way and saved me a LOT of money! I log my food the night before, which forces me to make my lunch and pack snacks for the day- I almost never buy lunch anymore, it's saved me hundreds of dollars! I almost never eat precisely what I planned for breakfast or dinner, but it gives me a framework and makes me feel like I've already accomplished my healthy eating before the day has even started! Planning ahead also helps me remember to use up ingredients, so things don't go bad in my fridge as often. yay!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Not really. I kind of like seeing what's going on.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I use a samsung galaxy and the app I have often glitches out
    I don't find it annoying, because I use my phone, and if I have time to check out facebook, send texts, snap chat my kids, etc...then I guess I feel like logging my food is probably more important than any of those....:) HOwever I would love to try to help keep you motivated if I can!! :)
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I want to thank each and every one of you for your valuable input! I have the motivation now to get back to it with a new found perspective! it's never easy starting a new routine but once established life will be good again. <3
  • Way2slk
    Way2slk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    using mfp when you go to add food, you will see a little bar code icon. Click on the icon and it is able to scan the labels. then you just add to your diary. it is so cool.
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes I finally learned the art of the bar code! Not gonna lie I had fun using it lol