Should thighs rub?

Options

Replies

• Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I have wide hips, but even when I was underweight for my height (BMI 17.2 or less) and in good shape, my thighs would touch. This may have been in part because I was getting lots of leg exercise and had strong, but not huge, thigh muscles.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different... My sister is 5 pounds more than me, but an inch taller... Her thighs rub and are much larger than mine. My thighs are always thin, even when I was technically "overweight" by BMI standards, I had a full thigh gap. Everyone is different, there is no "supposed to
    or "not supposed to"
    How YOUR body ends up looking after you lose weight can not be controlled, you just have to find out when you get there...

ETA: I am 5'5", my thighs personally stopped rubbing at 170 pounds, and I had a visible thigh gap when wearing shorts, etc... when I was morbidly obese, they rubbed and chaffed and hurt...
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options
    It's completely normal. Thigh gap is only achieveable for people with wide-set hips - or people that are dangerously underweight.

This.

Nope, not according to Chive.

And there is a difference between what women and men each think what the thigh gap really is.

Because we ALL know that The Chive is where super reliable scientific studies come from! :laugh: :wink:

Yeah most guys call it the little triangle below the *ahem* and other people it's more of an anorexic thing it seems.

Just jumping in, but I have very small hips, not wide set by anymeans, (36" at the largest part of my butt) and I have a thigh gap, all the way up. I am far from anorexic, also. So no, not only there because of being anorexic or having wide set hips...
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    It's completely normal. Thigh gap is only achieveable for people with wide-set hips - or people that are dangerously underweight.

This.

And there is a difference between what women and men each think what the thigh gap really is.

Because we ALL know that The Chive is where super reliable scientific studies come from! :laugh: :wink:

Yeah most guys call it the little triangle below the *ahem* and other people it's more of an anorexic thing it seems.

Just jumping in, but I have very small hips, not wide set by anymeans, (36" at the largest part of my butt) and I have a thigh gap, all the way up. I am far from anorexic, also. So no, not only there because of being anorexic or having wide set hips...

Oh I didn't mean to imply that having a thigh gap meant you were anorexic.... I was just saying the MAJORITY of internet crap if you GOOGLE thigh gap you get "thinspiration" boards and anorexic loving crap :)

BTW Awesome weight loss!:bigsmile:
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    actually, ya know, I can't say anything right today so I'm out. ha.
  • Getawayfromthecake
    Getawayfromthecake Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Well, before i lost weight, if i wore a dress without tights I would get chafing to the point of drawing blood. I hold a lot of my weight on my thighs. Only recently after losing 54lb can I walk with bare legs without rubbing. But I have size 9 feet (big feet can indicate a wide pelvis) so I do think a gap is possible for me :)
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    That depends on your bone structure. It has nothing to do with being too thick.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options

This.

Oh I didn't mean to imply that having a thigh gap meant you were anorexic.... I was just saying the MAJORITY of internet crap if you GOOGLE thigh gap you get "thinspiration" boards and anorexic loving crap :)

BTW Awesome weight loss!:bigsmile:

No, I knew what you meant! I see that a lot (associating to anorexia), and have seen so much negativity surrounding thigh gaps. At first, it made me feel REALLY BAD about myself, like OK now I have lost all this weight and worked sooo hard, and I STILL don't have a good enough body, or "the right body"... Over time, i realized that I cant change how I am shaped, etc, and got over it. But the expression "thigh gap" still gets me going :laugh: I just wait for thos comments to start, about how "gross" and "unnatural" it is, when that is just NOT the case

But I knew what you meant, I was thinking I should have quoted another reply, but I just posted it that way anyway LOL
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    There+is+a+difference+_c33a956aa99fd9de70c4f2d85aaf9110.jpg

which is sexier to you? lol

The right. Not because of the thighs - because of dat @$$! :glasses:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Are people talking about thighs rubbing so that they become sore here?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    A thigh gap is dependent upon your skeletal build in the pelvis and hips.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Pepole get up in arms about the thigh gap thing because WHY IS THIS A THING????

You either have the genetic make-up to have one or you don't. We don't understand why this is a beauty standard. People who have one naturally look great. People who don't have one naturally look great.

Get yourself the best body you can for your build and stop trying to make something happen that can't.

I have wide hips and small waist. There is nothing I can do -- I don't even think there is a surgery for it -- to make my hips narrow and my waist wider (in comparison). How ridiculous would it be for me to start posting threads asking pepole what I can do to make that happen. And I'm not going to be all down and out because some women have straight hips/waists and I don't.
  • melissawebb432
    melissawebb432 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, 130 pounds and a size 5/6 and my thighs rub. Most girls theighs rub together unless their completely skinny as hell like a size 1.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I never even heard the term "thigh gap" until I joined MFP and saw it on the message boards.

Thank you all so much for your responses. I have been educated! :)
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Mine always have:( I blame my mama on it!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    depends on your individual skeleton size (across the hips) and body fat percentage. It's different for everyone :flowerforyou:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    a651deed566153fee6b3039f85b26cde.jpg
  • M22KY
    M22KY Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Umm... I should not be able to see the world through your legs as you walk towards me!

I like full thighs. Mine have always touched. Always will. :wink:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    no.
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    yep my thighs rub, and definitely the anti chafe works when I was training for a marathon!