whats the point of excercise if I eat back the calories?

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    never "eat back" your exercise calories UNLESS you want to lose weight slower OR if for some reason you are hungier (which happens with increased activity) but my advice is to NOT eat those calories back. If defeats the purpose of exercise.

You should exercise to burn extra fat, calories or lose weight faster.

You shouldn't exercise just so you can eat more

Bad advice. Fast weight loss isn't good weight loss.
    Exercise should not be about calorie burns.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1300 calories and burning 600, you're only getting 700. That is in no way shape or form healthy for any human adult. Not even if you're bed ridden.

yes, but you're not eating ONLY 700. you ate 1300. the 600 you burned exercising is a bonus. you don't go into starvation or start starving or malnutrition just because you exercise.
    Sssshhhhh......
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    never "eat back" your exercise calories UNLESS you want to lose weight slower OR if for some reason you are hungier (which happens with increased activity) but my advice is to NOT eat those calories back. If defeats the purpose of exercise.

This is terrible advice, I advise no one to follow it. Losing weight as fast as possible to the point of endangering your health is NOT the way to go.
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree that I have to eat back those calories, the question then becomes did I gain anything in regards to loosing weight by running, swimming etc...? should just do weights until I achieve my goal?

you'll still lose weight eating those calroies back but it really is defeating the purpose of exercising. eating back calories is simply the same thing as JUST DIETING or eating less ALONE to lose weight
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

It's interesting that so many people fail to understand how MFP works. Your deficit is already built in to the number of calories they give you per day. When you exercise, you are pushing that deficit even lower. I lift weights and run to maintain more of my lean body mass and to build endurance. Not to eat more or lose faster.
  • AdrianBry
    Options
    This is terrible advice, I advise no one to follow it. Losing weight as fast as possible to the point of endangering your health is NOT the way to go.

of course you want to finsih your goals as fast as you can and what I suggested is not unhealthy.

let's look at it this way...

when someone hits a plateau are you (the ones suggesting you should eat your calories back) that you should ONLY eat less? because if you increase your exercise intensity or workotu longer then you'll still have to eat those calories back anyway
  • trogalicious
    Options

It's interesting that so many people fail to understand how MFP works. Your deficit is already built in to the number of calories they give you per day. When you exercise, you are pushing that deficit even lower. I lift weights and run to maintain more of my lean body mass and to build endurance. Not to eat more or lose faster.

Exactly. By this logic, I should just completely stop eating until I hit goal weight.. and any extra workouts I do are just bonus points on the way to Awesomeville.

but hey, math can be difficult to understand sometimes.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Um No........ This site is designed so that your calories deficit is already built in so weight loss will happen without exercise you exercise for fitness and in order to be successful you must fuel your workouts... Nothing wrong with eating back your exercise calories and losing weight at a 1 to 2 lb. a week clip.. Somehow I managed to do this and lose 312 lbs...... OP unless your using the TDEE approach then you are using the MFP approach and should be eating those calories back... To large of a deficit can work against you in the long run... This is a marathon not a sprint..... Best of Luck...
  • trogalicious
    Options
    OP... do what you want, but just on the second page of this thread, you have three people that have lost 566 lbs combined.

We're all three telling you to eat them back.

Now, you choose.

We don't have our own websites for weight loss and we're not trying to talk you into doing something crazy, like not eating enough... but hey, to each their own, right?
  • AdrianBry
    Options
    Bad advice. Fast weight loss isn't good weight loss.
    Exercise should not be about calorie burns.

then what about the overeweight person who loses 10 pounds a week until they get within 20-to-50 pounds of their goal?

If exercise shouldn't be abotu calorie burns then why exercise?
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree that I have to eat back those calories, the question then becomes did I gain anything in regards to loosing weight by running, swimming etc...? should just do weights until I achieve my goal?

Activities like running and swimming are great for you for lots of reasons other then burning calories. I often look at it like I eat the extra calories to fuel my workouts, rather then earning the extra food by exercising...does that make sense?
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

He has an agenda...do NOT listen to him!!
    See EdDavenport and Trog...they know what they are doing.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You could lose weight without exercising by eating the same number of calories as MFP already builds in the deficit without factoring in any exercise. Exercise calories add to the total number of calories you're "allowed to eat".

However, exercise brings in loads of other benefits such as improved cardiovascular health, more lean body mass (less body fat = increase in resting metabolism), more regularity (I had to add this because let's face it, it's kind of nice to not be constipated) plus tons of other stuff which I am sure have already been mentioned.

PLUS - bonus, those exercise calories mean you can eat a little bit more. And we all know that can't be a bad thing :)
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    OP... do what you want, but just on the second page of this thread, you have three people that have lost 566 lbs combined.

We're all three telling you to eat them back.

Now, you choose.

We don't have our own websites for weight loss and we're not trying to talk you into doing something crazy, like not eating enough... but hey, to each their own, right?

This.

/endthread
  • AdrianBry
    Options
    it's no doubt you WILL lose weight eating back your calories but eating back those calories is simply the same thing as you just going on a diet alone and...

NOT eating back those calories is a bonus helping you lose faster but once you hit a platuea which you probably will - you may want to think twice about eating back those calories you burned working out.

I mean, why burn 400 calories on a kick *kitten* workout like insanity and then turn around and eat it all back?
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I mean, why burn 400 calories on a kick *kitten* workout like insanity and then turn around and eat it all back?

Because you get hungry?

I can't believe you run a diet website.
  • AdrianBry
    Options
    He has an agenda...do NOT listen to him!!
    See EdDavenport and Trog...they know what they are doing.

an agenda to help you burn fat faster but let me apolgize (I'm not being sarcastic) to those of you who believe in losing 1-2 pounds per week
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    you are already set to lose weight by virtue of the fact you are already eating at a deficit, eating at a deficit is the thing that will cause you to lose weight, not exercising. so yes, eat back your exercise cals if you want to maintain the deficit that has been set. if you want a bigger deficit than you have set, then by all mean dont eat back your exercise calories, if you want to be hungry and miserable? then go for it!
    is it really that difficult for some people to understand??
    losing weight and keeping it off is a slow and steady process, trying to lose it as quickly as possible in a blind panic is not really the answer IMO
  • xDawnsgrace
    Options
    Faster isn't always better. People who lose more slowly hang on to more muscle, which looks much better once they reach their goal weight. Losing slower is also better in terms of skin elasticity. Plus, If eating a little bit more makes it easier for someone to stick to the plan, that is much better than being stressed and tired because they are hungry and they give up.

the heavier you are = the faster you'll lose weight and the MORE fat you'll lose. muscle loss only begins to occur at the point when your bodyfat % gets EXTREMELY low (like under 5%)

as for skin elasticity (or loose skin) most people mistake loose skin for simply more fat they have to lose. Pinch the skin on the back of your hand which is VERY thin - that's loose skin. pinching skin in other areas that is thicker anywhere else is just more fat you need to lose

No. I have a body fat % of ~23%, and i've lost a lot of muscle..
  • AdrianBry
    Options

Because you get hungry?

I can't believe you run a diet website.

Exercise (usually the more intense it is) blunts your appetite but yes... some people may have an increased appetite hours after a tough workout but here's the point guys...

IF you eat back EVERYTHING YOU BURN OFF then you are simply wasting your time exercising