+2 lb this week - what did i do wrong ?

Options
2»

Replies

• LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Your daily weight is an accurate representation of your SPECIFIC weight no more so than the account balance listed on your monthly bank statement is a precise representation of your wealth.
  • Palain
    Palain Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the replies and your support, this is a brilliant community :)

I suddenly realised I was panicking, which is silly, but hopefully understandable. Having never made a conscious effort to lose weight before, I guess I will fall into that now and again. Once again, many thanks :)
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    OP if it makes you feel any better. On a friday about a month ago I weighed 168lbs, come sunday after a weekend where 75 percent of my cals came from high carb/high sodium food, sunday night I was 180lbs. That's 12lbs in about 54hrs. I managed to lose 10 of those lbs between monday and tuesday. It was all water
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. Sometimes I lose 2 pounds taking a good #2.
  • mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. Sometimes I lose 2 pounds taking a good #2.

lol, that IS a good #2 :laugh:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Stay the course. Your body is not a machine. You can't turn the crank and get the same thing out every time.

What you care about is a downward trend, and with only three weeks in, you don't have enough data to get a trend going yet.

When you first reduce your calories, your body burns up its excess glycogen stores. Each gram of glycogen travels with three friends in the form of a gram of water, so each gain or loss of a pound of glycogen will result in a gain or loss of four pounds total. If you ate higher carbs than usual, or higher sodium than usual, the 2 pounds are likely just water.

And everybody's right, be glad you're not a woman. I gained almost three pounds this weekend due to my period and one very large high-carb meal. I am still waiting for one pound or so to go away. I've done four intense lifting workouts since then too, so I know there's bound to be a lot of water tied up in my muscles for repairs. I know all these things, and I don't get crazy about daily fluctuations on the scale.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Stick to your guns and the weight will go.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am sure a lot of people will not agree. But I would get on the scale everyday. The reason be is that you will see the flucuations up but you will also see the downward trends. I have done this since May and I have learned a lot about how my body reacts to certain foods and exercise. It has taken that sinking feeling of gaining a pound away. I dont worry about it anymore because I know that as long as I stay under my calorie limit each day that in time the math will work out to my favor.

Having said that a good #2 does solve a lot of problems.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    do you weight/measure all your food?

You are either under estimating calories, or have water retention ..

I would suggest weighing yourself three times a week, at the same time, and take a weekly average to account for fluctuations...

for example this week I was 174, 172.8 and 173.1 for an average of 170.3 ....so you can see over course of a week my weight fluctuated +/- 1 pound....

I then use the weekly average to compare against past weeks..as long as the average is going in direction I want, then I am good..

Speaking from a womans perspective... do not get addicted to your scale or the numbers on it! My best method for tracking is measurements!
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Dude just go take a deuce and pee and weigh yourself again. Bet that number will drop. Remember, food stays in our systems for sometimes days so don't worry about it. Just keep doing what you are doing. Drink more water too!
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    Also, "they" recommend that you drink atleast half of your body weight in ounces to stop water retention... example if you weighed 150 lbs drink 75 ounces of water a day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight, you are eating more calories then you are burning. Assuming you are logging everything in, could you be overestimating calories burned and/or underestimating calories eaten? It's a common error.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Either poop or water weight. Don't freak out. There's a normal fluctuation of weight that happens on a daily basis.

I am with this reply.
This discussion has been closed.