Running Everyday, Eating Right... not losing :(

Options
What Gives? I am so frustrated, I am running 3-5 miles everyday and counting calories religiously and seem stuck above the 150lb mark. :( I am getting so frustrated. I feel like I see an obvious difference and so do my friends but when I measured myself yesterday I seem to no have lost inches. I am so upset about it... any ideas on what I could do differently? BOOHOO

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    there is a few things you can do.
    Start to run hills
    change your calorie intake to less then what you are eating now.
    Do Instanity.
  • Andreaviolet89
    Andreaviolet89 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Try new foods too. If you eat eggs every morning why not try eating oatmeal one day of the week instead? Also try a new work out. If you run everyday maybe try a work out class instead or swimming laps.
  • Starieyes30
    Starieyes30 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Commander. I am doing crossfit. All of my runs are hillwork. I am practically starving at 1200 cals as it is :(
  • Starieyes30
    Options
    Ok, I will try to switch up on the food.. that seems like a good idea.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Type your info into this: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Figure out what your TDEE -20% is and start eating more. You said yourself you are starving. Eat more, keep running and you will lose weight. Give it 4 weeks, if it doesnt work, try something else.
  • krmullig
    krmullig Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Possibly try upping your calories for a bit and see if that helps. I've seen a lot of success stories when people hit a plateau and actually add a 100 calories or so to their daily allowance and start losing again :).
  • smattillion
    smattillion Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Reevaluate your acttivity level and eat more ! You need fuel for yor workouts and fuel to burn the fat! Sounds counter intuitive, but it shoukd help. Try the iifym.com and look up the atricles on the forums for the road map approach. One of my mfp friends on here swears by it and posts about it to others on forums looking for help:)
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you are logging your workouts and eating those calories as well. Otherwise your calorie deficit will be very high and it can raise your stress hormone levels, which can cause you to stall.

The other problem with not eating your exercise calories is netting too low of an amount of energy. Your body needs a certain amount to run(heart pumping blood, digestions, brain usage), and if you aren't feeding it enough, it will start using muscle instead of fat because the brain cannot convert fat stores into energy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Commander. I am doing crossfit. All of my runs are hillwork. I am practically starving at 1200 cals as it is :(

if you use MFP settings you should be eating back exercise calories
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

This. Doing crossfit and running is a good amount of exercise. If you want to maintain that activity level, you'll likely need to eat more.
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more calories or stop exercising so much. Read In place of a road map and figure out how much calories you should be eating. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

"If the body does not get enough energy from calories in, it will seek ways to slow itself down.
    Leptin levels drop, cortisol levels rise.
    Anabolism stops and catabolism begins.
    The body switches gears hormonally and tries to maintain fat, a non active tissue that stores energy, by burning lean mass, an active tissue that uses calories.
    So in essence fat mass starts to stay the same while lean mass drops.
    You can see how this can extend your dietary lifestyle right?
    I've even heard that leaptin drops up to 50% within the first week of cutting calories.
    Leptin tells the body its not starving and its okay to release fat. "
  • thehappyfitmusician
    Options

YES. I was on a plateau for 2 months because I didn't eat back exercise calories. As soon as I started eating them back the pounds started coming off again. It seems counterproductive, but it works and your body needs the fuel!
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    EAT FFS! your body is starving
  • brandynot
    brandynot Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You say you are eating 1200 calories a day...and you are running and doing crossfit??? There you go. You need MORE food. I am no expert. But I was in this same position earlier this year. I read a post named In Place of a Road Map and it changed my life. Once I started eating....the weight started melting off. You have to feed your body...plain and simple. Invest in a food scale and eat. Just my 2 cents...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to mix it up a little, your body is probably comfortable with the same old routine now and most of us need a rest day but it's personal choice.

If hungry play with your calories a little, but maybe keep an eye on the fat. Just experiment until you find something that works for you.
  • brandipoo
    brandipoo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you're running and doing crossfit I would DEFINITELY recommend adding calories.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    That's not a lot of calories for how much running you're doing. I run 5 days a week (4 to 8 miles) and eat about 2,000 calories a day and I am losing weight. You need more fuel.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    1200 cals and high intensity exercise......sigh

Let's wait for the wolves to devour you....
  • Starieyes30
    Options
    So eat back my exercise calories and according to "IIFYM calculator" I should be having a base of 1500-1600 calories? Oh, if going up in the amount I eat works I will be SOOO pleased. Thank you everyone :) Love this site! Hope this works.
  • smithed812
    Options
    How long has it been? Sometimes patience is all you need.

I would agree about upping your cals some though. With all that exercise your body can handle more than 1200 calories.