Do people treat you differently -- or is it you?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I think it was a little bit of both. I lost 30 lbs a couple of years ago and I definitely noticed that I was approached more often and that I also felt more confident in my skin. I think the way you carry yourself has a lot of power and people can see that and are attracted to it.

Also, they have treated me negatively as a result. People assume, because I have a small frame, that I have "always" been skinny and tiny and I don't know what it's like to be overweight or that I never eat unhealthy things. It's kind of ironic, actually. People just see the way you are and assume that it's how you've always been. People are shocked when they hear I lost almost 25% of my weight at one point in my life.

Even though I am still obese, I get that. At my current job, people know me as the tall curvy 218 lb I am right now and they can't envision me at 300. I was having a discussion about weight loss with my supervisor one day and she clearly thought I'd lost like 20 lb or something, not close to 100 lb. They made me trade office chairs with a larger employee who was uncomfortable because of the arms on the chair. I have lots of room to spare, but a few years ago I would not have. It is odd being the "right now" me, but I like it. However it's still kind of surreal to me too. I still look at women who wear around a size 24 and think of them as my size, even when a pair of size 16 jeans is on my body.
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've found (after losing 50 pounds so far) that my own self esteem and confidence has grown significantly. I've found that I'm more out going than I was 50 pounds ago and finding it easier to talk to people. 50 pounds ago I was very, very shy, due to self esteem issues, so to be getting over that shyness is a personal goal of mine.

Also, to my husband's displeasure, I've been getting more looks and slight flirting from other guys. So, at that point I'll flash my ring and they stop. It's a whole new experience for me, lol...my husband was the only guy that really ever flirted with me and he won me over and I'm not complaining, ever.
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I still look at women who wear around a size 24 and think of them as my size, even when a pair of size 16 jeans is on my body.

Yeahhhhh, me too. Was at a size 28, at an 18 now and STILL can't see it some days.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Question for people who have lost a lot of weight. Some of you have had amazing success and look younger, happier and more confident. So at what point did you notice that people treated you differently, approached you, talked to you, looked at you differently from before you lost the weight?

Alternatively, what happened first? Did you start to face the world with more confidence before other people noticed?

There have been some great transformations here. I'm wondering how that changes things on the inside..

It ultimately starts with us - even though we may not realize it. We feel better & more confident even if we had good self-esteem before. We carry ourselves differently. How good we feel inside shows. People react positively to it. I accept it in a positive manner, too. I understand that I am changing inside and out. I refuse to be suspicious and question motives or be upset because I did not receive this attention when I was a lot heavier.

It is a bit surprising but, mostly, it is a good experience. sure, there are going to be a few negative experiences but we have to realize there are always a few unpleasant experiences in our lives, whatever we weigh. I'm loving the way the world is reacting to me as I change.
  • lottewiegeraad
    lottewiegeraad Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think when you look better, you feel better-- and it radiates out from you.

People pick up almost magnetically onto positive people.

AMEN! feel better, look better. Vica Versa
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I get more free drinks
  • abickford82
    Options
    Well I live about 2,900 miles away from people who ever realize me being bigger than I am now (I'm 150 now, moved away at 160lbs., my heaviest was 247 in 2009) -- so not something I experience. I did however get down to 138 at a point, and people were nicer to me that remembered me. While proud of my accomplishments, I no longer live in that "former fat girl" identity. It's a part of my past and it's where it'll stay.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I think yes people treat me differently. But confidence speaks REALLY loud!! Waiting for the day that I am confident.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    This is weird, but the main thing that I noticed is that more people let me cross over the road on my way to uni. That, and there were more *****y comments than ever from girls, but I put that down to jealousy.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Mix of both. Confidence and a positive mood are great but the bottom line is people are shallow too. I'd say at least some of that confidence boost people get comes from the fact that people are responding more positively to them, particularly where the opposite sex is concerned.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    People that I knew for many years didn't recognize me. I lost 170 lbs in 10 months. To be honest I didn't push the issue by saying something to them about my weight loss. If they said anything or asked questions I just shrugged it off as politely as I could and changed the subject. People in general do treat me differently now than at 360 lbs. The word fat is no longer used to describe me. My religious, political or philosophical points of view have not changed. Yet people do talk to me differently
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am at the beginning of my journey, but wanted to read some of these responses, so I am BUMPING! Thank you for sharing everyone!
  • KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have to say that most people did NOT notice my early weight loss. From 205 pounds down to 180, only my mom and a handful of females noticed. Then when I dropped to the 170s more people noticed. My arms were looking bigger and veinier too from my training. I bought clothes that fit, then lots of people noticed. Many guys at work made comments and wanted to know what I was doing. I've had male and female friends and almost strangers cop a feel of my arms, shoulder, torso, without asking. That never happened before this year.

I think I look better because I'm thinner, more built, have new clothes that fit, and I think I smile more. I do think people treat me better in general, at first I thought it was all about how my body looks, but, I tend to think I didn't realize how happy I was with myself and I wonder how much that showed thru and makes me more approachable.

I think the reverse happens too sometimes. Today someone at the gym looked away from me when I looked back at her. I think when I was chunkier, more people would have been more comfortable smiling back rather than quick looking away.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I think its me. I feel so much happier since I have lost some weight. I want to do more things (who wants to go to the beach when they feel like an ice burg -blinding white and huge) and because I now eat better and exercise I have the energy to go and do more - so I've become more interesting I guess.
  • allycolli
    allycolli Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For me, I feel so much better inside and out. A coworker told me that I have a healthy glow. I feel more confident. I think clean eating shows in your skin and hair especially. I think I've changed which affects how people interact with me.
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I think its me. I feel so much happier since I have lost some weight. I want to do more things (who wants to go to the beach when they feel like an ice burg -blinding white and huge) and because I now eat better and exercise I have the energy to go and do more - so I've become more interesting I guess.

Losing weight makes you more "interesting"

Because you want to do more things.

Yes. This.
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    After losing 50 or 60 pounds, people did start to treat me differently, but I believe it was because I was ready to have people see me. At my heaviest, I was so busy trying to be invisible, and now I have my head up and meeting people eye to eye and I am smiling! So I must be more approachable now. You won't get the love you need from others until you love yourself first... I truly believe that.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It's both.

I get a lot more attention from people now. And a lot more comments on my clothes/looks/skin etc..

I was happy and confident 70lbs ago too, but i'm sure I walk straighter now and and more outwardly happy and confident as well so I'm sure that plays into it.

But I *was* on an online dating site and as soon as I updated my picture my email blew up. I had to take it down. I can also walk into any bar now and get hit on immediately. esp when I finally bought the size clothes that fit me. I thought I would like that, but I really don't.
  • ymvv2000
    Options
    I've treated myelf differently. There aren't a lot of nice clothes that come in 4x, so even on a work day when I had 'power meetings' and training sessions, it was sneakers, stretchy pants, and an oversized shirt.

Today I had a meeting where I was meeting a new administrator and I WAS NOT EMBARRASSED BY THE WAY I LOOKED; nice shoes, fitted pants and tailored shirt.

I've also started sucking in my belly and sticking my boobs out a little more.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I feel like the same person...or rather, just a smaller version of the same person.

One funny thing, though, is that over the past few months, other people in my firm have slipped into my office (it was almost laughable the way some of 'em did it...a la behind-closed-doors-darkened-room-blinds-drawn-etc) to ask me "psst-hey-have-you-lost-weight-and-what's-the-secret?"

(There are quite a few disappointed looks when I say I'm counting calories and running) :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!