I am a Grandma..and yeah I don't take any crap

Options
karenjoy
karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
Oh I can't put this on facebook but - I am a Grandmother, and NO it does not mean I am a pushover or a feeder, I do not feed my Grandbaby crap or junk, I do not let her get away with things, I do not give her sweets and rubbish, I actually know that love is nothing to do with food and lots to do with time, interest and care. I care what she eats, I care how she behaves, I care how she learns, how she sees the world and I do not let her get away with bad behaviour, she loves me, loves me because I love her, and not because I let her eat sugary or fatty junk and not because I let her behave how she likes or do what she wants.

I am not most peoples idea of a Grandma and I do not propose to ever fit into that mold.

I am a Grandma and I am proud

Tell me about YOUR Grandma

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I miss my Grandma :(

She responded to one misfortune after another with dignity and humour and openness, when a lot of people might have become cynics. She has zero tolerance for tears. And, the *best* laugh I've ever heard anywhere.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Your a great grandma, keep rocking!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My grandmas taught me to sew and cook and to face adversity with humor and courage. I love now to watch my mom being a grandma. She's great at it!
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Awesome Grandma! =) My Grandma is actually very similar to you. She always cooks healthy food and talks to me about managing my time and eating healthy, and she cares a lot about my behavior. Sometimes she even scolds me in front of the whole family, xD I don't really mind that because I know she loves me and wants the best for me.

Keep up that Grandma attitude! Love it.
  • RawrItsMegii
    Options
    :drinker: you are a brilliant grandma!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My grandmother took me into her home when I was 3 years old and raised me to be intelligent, responsible, caring and strong. She didn't have to do the things she did for me, but her sacrifices for my well being will never be forgotten.

You're an awesome grandmother!
  • WJZR
    WJZR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a grandma too. Have a beautiful 2.5 year old grand daughter, a two year old sweety grandson. We, my husband and i, are raising an 11 year old grandson with some special needs. I don't take any crap, either. I try to get them to eat right, be active, and be kind and cooperative. I like to give attention, not sweets. Books are my favorite gifts to give. I don't fit the mold either, I am a bagpiper, I go to the gym 4 days a week, I am active, I am also an avid reader. I am 62. I amgoing to lose 40 pounds and live at least to 80.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Neither of my Grans used food for rewards or punishment. However, if I did happen to mention I liked a certain food, such as creamed corn, my Grandma P would do her best to make it for me. My Grandma R taught me to appreciate a variety of foods, usually all fresh since they owned a farm. I loved and miss them both dearly.

Someone once told me "you are more like your gran (grandma p) than your mom." It's the best compliment I've ever gotten.

S.W.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Great! Can you give some lessons to my inlaws?
  • SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    One of my grandma's was the first person to ever show me a mitor box AND she was an awesome cook! Independent ahead of her time, loving and kind as well. Everybody was welcome in her house. My other grandma was funny but quiet, she taught me how to play cards, and how to be patient, because she was the most patient woman I have ever met! I enjoyed special times with each of them, and they both left a big impact on me in their unique own ways.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm a grandma too. Have a beautiful 2.5 year old grand daughter, a two year old sweety grandson. We, my husband and i, are raising an 11 year old grandson with some special needs. I don't take any crap, either. I try to get them to eat right, be active, and be kind and cooperative. I like to give attention, not sweets. Books are my favorite gifts to give. I don't fit the mold either, I am a bagpiper, I go to the gym 4 days a week, I am active, I am also an avid reader. I am 62. I amgoing to lose 40 pounds and live at least to 80.

Aim higher! I bet you can make it to 100.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Mine is dead... and she was mean.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Mine is dead... and she was mean.

I'm sorry.

I met my mother's mother when I was 18. Notice I don't use the grandma word.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Apparently she had a wicked sense of humour when she was drunk.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    One of my grandmothers was very kind and gentle. She developed dementia, though, and ended up not knowing who any of us were.

The other one was mean and hated my guts.
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a good grandma... that sucks! :sad:
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My grandma is an extremely tiny woman (4'11" and 100 pounds or so).

She has always thought that I was the greatest thing in the planet no matter what I did (and trust me, for an old Southern woman, embracing my piercings and tattoos and crazy hair-- or lack thereof when I shaved it all off in college-- that takes a lot).
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My maternal "Grandmother" had very little, but she could take whatever she had and turn it into something awesome. She knew a lot about natural remedies to treat illnesses, believed in taking care of her health, took us on "nature walks", listened to music instead of watching tv, was very creative and artistic, and was a kind, loving, gentle person. She lived to her mid-80s.

My paternal "Mammy" spoiled us. At her house, she cooked us waffles, bacon, and coffee doctored up with milk and sugar for breakfast. She always had a homemade cake on the table and cookies in the cookie jar. Her TV was on all day long. She was generous, but very opinionated, and she liked telling others what to do. :tongue: She also lived to her mid-80s.

Both of them totally rocked. :heart: I want to be a little like both of them.

I love this post, BTW. My oldest is 19, and I really am looking forward to grandchildren someday. Part of my reasons for wanting to be healthy include being able to enjoy them when they get here, to crawl around on the floor with them, and take them places without being too tired to chase them.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    wat?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    All of my grandparents were dead by the time I was of age to remember. So I don't remember jack about my grandparents (besides a thing from here and there and things my parents/siblings tell me).

But I am an Uncle. I think I'm a terrible uncle because I tend to HATE kids (except my nieces and nephews). I currently live with my nephew. I feed him sugary stuff, I feed him chocolates, I feed him ice cream. I feed him everything.

And I will be damned if I allow somebody on the internet tell him or me to stop doing that to him. He is an amazing kid with amazing relationship with his food. He eats his home cooked food (after some pouting which is typical of kids) and THEN he is allowed junk food. We don't want to deny him junk food only to discover that when he is a grown up, he will discover a new taste and not know what is moderation.

FFS, not taking crap doesn't mean you teach your kids your own insecurities.

PS. His mother don't bake so I am learning to make cookies so he can have that sense of grandma cookies. My cookies might not be good but my nephew WILL know what its all about.