Dreading the Weekend

Options
2»

Replies

• kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I try to stay slightly under calorie goal during the week in order to save a few for weekend splurges. It's pretty easy when I make lunch my first meal of the day and don't start the hunger cycle too early.

Then on the weekends, I typically get in longer workouts, and I delay my meals knowing that we'll end up going out and having something yummy for late lunch/early dinner. If I'm really hungry after my workout, I'll eat a yogurt or small snack <100 calories to make it until our big meal.

Fast food doesn't have to blow your macros. A small burger/small fry/diet soda at McDonalds = < 500 calories.
    As for eating out, I usually get what I really want and just eat half/take half for later.

Best of luck in finding a weekend routine that will help you be successful.
  • SPPutnam
    SPPutnam Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Weekends are definitely harder since they are not regimented. I would recommend making healthy choices at McDs (i.e. salad instead of fries, chicken instead of beef, unsweetened iced tea or water instead of soda) and enjoy a roll, but not two, three or half a dozen (that is my tendancy) - then, plan a healthy family outing, like a walk in a beautiful area, a bike ride, or toss a ball around. We also try to play catch up on our household chores on Saturdays, which burns a decent amount of calories and keeps you active. Open up those windows, blast some music, and have a good time!
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    That's why I weigh-in on Fridays. That way, I have Monday through Thursday to try and compensate if I blow it on the weekend.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I work harder during the week, doing double
    then I party the whole weekend,
    works for me.

No wonder you are my friend. You're awesome!
  • gpottorff
    Options
    I do fine if I stay at home on the weekend but when I go out with friends its very easy to just eat whatever is around instead of taking the time to make something different so that I can stay on my diet.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Plan plan plan. Plan your weekend activities, plan your weekend meals, plan your weekend exercise. That's the only thing that keeps me in check.

This - planning helps

example: 2 weeks ago I new I was going to the movies and I Want that buttery popcorn, so I fit in an extra long workout and was still under my calories. Last week I had a Girls Night Out (first one in 7 months), again woke up extra early and worked hard on an extra workout. Again was under my calories and I lost weight both weeks!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Plan plan plan. Plan your weekend activities, plan your weekend meals, plan your weekend exercise. That's the only thing that keeps me in check.

This - planning helps

example: 2 weeks ago I new I was going to the movies and I Want that buttery popcorn, so I fit in an extra long workout and was still under my calories. Last week I had a Girls Night Out (first one in 7 months), again woke up extra early and worked hard on an extra workout. Again was under my calories and I lost weight both weeks!
    Yep, planning is key. I'll even log everything on Friday to make sure it will fit, that way I'll know if I need to make any modifications.
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Have a plan. I plan ahead for what I'm going to eat. At least as much as I can control. Not always easy but it works for me. You could also plan some exercise in their somewhere to offset any additional calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Anything you gain over a weekend is just water. I've been maintaining for about 6 months and Friday I usually weigh in around 180 Lbs...by Monday I'm usually weighing in around 184. It's all water and bloat because I like to cut lose on the weekends. It's not fat...because science dictates that gaining 4 Lbs of fat in two days is pretty much impossible considering I'd have to eat about 14,000 calories above my maintenance calories to do so.

You have to remember that weight isn't static...it's always fluctuating. If you're eating stuff like fast food, you're introducing more sodium into your diet than normal...this causes water retention. If you're eating more carb heavy than usual, you're going to replenish glycogen (energy) stores that have been ddepleted. You have to realize and remember that fat is only one fraction of your bodyweight...so much else goes into it.
  • The_Gent_65
    Options
    I can't wait to get liqoured up this weekend!
  • renatewolfe
    renatewolfe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There are times when I have to eat out too, but I plan for it. I look up the menu on line and check the nutrition info for calories. If we are eating at McD's, I get the grilled chicken sandwich without mayo because it is still tasty. I add a side salad with Paul Newman's Own Light Italian Dressing, (God Rest Your Soul, Paul Newman, and thanks for giving us healthy, tasty choices while helping the sick!). If I'm feeling particularly wicked, I will have a cone.

Tonight, I am meeting my kids at Olive Garden. Luckily, I think that OG has the blandest, most boring, Italian food ever cooked, but since my kids love it, I am going. I am skipping the bread sticks and salad, which is mostly lettuce and not worth the calories in the dressing, and having the Chicken Lasagna Primavera, decaf coffee with cream, water with lemon and 4 Andie's Mint Patties. The breadsticks will be the only real temptation, but I'm happy to forgo them for the chocolate. I've eaten at O'Charlie's and McAllister's as well and still stuck to my program.

I am German too, and love the bread and meats, but will skip them most of the time unless I plan a cheat day. I can have a few good German cookies, a chocolate or a piece of yummy cake or pastry from my German bakery if I plan for it, and still stay within my calorie range.

Our German has wonderful rye bread that I have sliced thin for sandwiches and toast. Yummy!
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is an opportunity to change your family's pattern. This is going to sound harsher than I mean it to because I do understand you're busy and kids love McDonald's, but going every week isn't the best habit to teach them. Maybe instead you could all cook something healthy together or go for a walk and have a picnic if it's not too cold.

Otherwise, just try to exercise and make good choices for yourself. You don't have to be perfect--just better than usual should create more of a deficit than you've had. Small changes really do add up. Maybe have fruit for breakfast and save some extra calories for later in the day?

I agree with this advice. I assume you are the mother of the family. I'm your age and a mother as well with a lot going on and two teenage girls. I make all the household food decisions though. We don't eat out much. I keep the house well stocked with a lot of food of different varieties. If they can't find what they like, they are free to walk to the grocery store at the end of the street (fwiw, they've done this).

I sound a bit draconian but I'm mostly cheap and won't swing for eating out on a regular basis. We've always been this way.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am an all or nothing personality. Weekends used to be difficult but I found if I logged everything and saw bad numbers it would pi** me off and make me want to eat good.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Every other weekend i work 12 hour days Sat and Sun. I plan and prepare my food for the whole day and am generally fine. Touch wood! lol.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to be out at lunch time I plan a healthy lunch to stop at or I bring a roll-up for the car.

I don't have trouble with weekends. I just have to pace myself.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    What's that saying? "Man plans and G-d laughs!" I do plan ahead, I even pre-log, but I plan as a-woman-with-self-control, and then the wine and bread come out, and are just irresistible, and my plan goes to hell. ;)
  • baker150
    baker150 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I find it's the exact opposite for me! Friday-Sunday I am super active, and eat right around my calorie intake. But from Mon-Thurs at work, I fail. I work in a bakery in the basement though, so no one can see me snack on everything I make :( lol.