I've made the famous low-cal brownie (PICS)

I made those brownies that people keep talking about. They're delicious but they're actually 105 calories for each serving, not 60 or 88.

Here it is.
1zdqejm.jpg

egvipv.png

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Looks great! Do they taste like normal brownies?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,808 Member
    My mini harvest will be producing some wicked brownies, and they do taste like normal brownies, but with a warning attached.:happy:
  • 48 tsp of sugar? Ouch.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    48 tsp of sugar? Ouch.

48 tsp = 1 cup, which is a little on the sweet side for a 4 egg white (i.e. approx 2 egg) recipe, but not the worst I've ever seen. Considering there are chocolate chips in the recipe for even more sweetness, it seems like it would be safe to reduce the sugar by 1/3. Which, interestingly, would likely put the calorie count back down to the original estimate of 85 calories, no?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Bumping to try tomorrow!
  • melting_glass
    melting_glass Posts: 105 Member
    48 tsp of sugar? Ouch.

48 tsp = 1 cup, which is a little on the sweet side for a 4 egg white (i.e. approx 2 egg) recipe, but not the worst I've ever seen. Considering there are chocolate chips in the recipe for even more sweetness, it seems like it would be safe to reduce the sugar by 1/3. Which, interestingly, would likely put the calorie count back down to the original estimate of 85 calories, no?

They don't taste extremely sweet to me but they could stand to lose a little sugar. They definitely don't taste like a diet product.
  • melting_glass
    Looks great! Do they taste like normal brownies?

They're definitely delicious. I eat unusual things all the time so I'm not really the person to ask but my friend who only likes unhealthy fattening stuff loves them so I guess they taste like normal brownies. She can't stand anything low calorie or off-tasting.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    I'm glad you like them. Not anything I want to put in my body though.
  • melting_glass

k..
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

You don't want delicious brownies in your body?

Spock.jpg
  • I'm glad you like them. Not anything I want to put in my body though.

Great. I'll have your portion, then. But seriously, 12 servings? First of all, AHAHAHA. More like 2.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    bump! =)
  • peleroja
    Made a half batch with Splenda and only a tablespoon of chocolate chips for under 300 calories...and ate the whole thing for breakfast. It's really, really good and the lack of oil didn't hurt it at all. This one is happening again.
  • melting_glass
    Made a half batch with Splenda and only a tablespoon of chocolate chips for under 300 calories...and ate the whole thing for breakfast. It's really, really good and the lack of oil didn't hurt it at all. This one is happening again.

not a whole cup of splenda right? I might try it again one day with stevia.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    This sounds SO good. I need to get a super small pan so I can only make like 6 servings at a time though, or I'll eat like half of it in a day haha. I don't have sweets that often, but when I do... it's a wrap. I have a cookie recipe I use splenda with that's pretty healthy, and everyone I know LOVES them. I think it's in my recipes on here actually... haven't made them in way too long!
  • peleroja

I made a half batch, so I used a half cup. I don't like the aftertaste of stevia in baking, personally, and I don't have an issue with artificial sweeteners.
  • melting_glass

I made a half batch, so I used a half cup. I don't like the aftertaste of stevia in baking, personally, and I don't have an issue with artificial sweeteners.

oh ok. i don't like stevia either but there's a brand called sun crystals that's half sugar, half stevia. it's the only fake sugar I can tolerate. It doesn't have an aftertaste in my opinion.
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    We tried them with the Truvia baking blend and they were some of the worst things that we have ever baked. I don't know what we did wrong but my hubby wouldn't have them so they were truly BAD. I don't know what we did wrong. :(
  • melting_glass
    We tried them with the Truvia baking blend and they were some of the worst things that we have ever baked. I don't know what we did wrong but my hubby wouldn't have them so they were truly BAD. I don't know what we did wrong. :(

Well, truvia is pretty gross to be honest :/
    Mine tasted great. Maybe try using real sugar but less of it?
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Does it need the chocolate chips? Do you think a protein powder would sub well for the flower?