What determines if you accept or decline a FR????

Options

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    When I first joined I accepted a few friend requests...it seemed to me that it was just a lot of "XXX completed their food diary for the day" or "XXX weighed in", after which everyone was supposed to send a 'high five' or a 'tomorrow's a new day' message. I truly didn't get what was going to be motivating about that (it was more of an annoyance than anything), so I deleted all of them. I haven't sent or accepted any friend requests since then. I truly don't get the point. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

tomorrow's a new day hon!
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Their I.Q .. :smile:
  • I'll accept anyone that is decent, intelligent, and funny. Being geeky is a plus.

I don't treat this as a dating site like some people do. Nor do I judge based on appearance. Most of us are here to get fit so I don't care how a person manipulates a camera, it's the person I wouldn't mind sharing encouragement with.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Age and calorie goal. I kept getting these 18-20 year old girls with eating disorders that would request me. I now have a minimum and calorie goal requirement.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    When I first joined I accepted a few friend requests...it seemed to me that it was just a lot of "XXX completed their food diary for the day" or "XXX weighed in", after which everyone was supposed to send a 'high five' or a 'tomorrow's a new day' message. I truly didn't get what was going to be motivating about that (it was more of an annoyance than anything), so I deleted all of them. I haven't sent or accepted any friend requests since then. I truly don't get the point. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Bummer. You didn't get good friends. If you were on my FL, you could learn all about captain dress code McDouchey pants, know why today I'm wearing nothing but a thong and bikini top, read all about the adventures of demon spawn, and all kinds of other things. Motivating? Probably not. But certainly fun.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I accept all MFP friend requests. What makes me laugh is all the "requirements" people show on their profiles as if it is a high privilege to be accepted into their inner circle. :laugh: There's a delete button if the person becomes a problem. I've actually only deleted one person that I can think of and he was a professional friend collector who considered us his audience to build his business.
  • NormInv
    Options
    I accept all MFP friend requests. What makes me laugh is all the "requirements" people show on their profiles as if it is a high privilege to be accepted into their inner circle. :laugh: There's a delete button if the person becomes a problem. I've actually only deleted one person that I can think of and he was a professional friend collector who considered us his audience to build his business.

DECLINED!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options

You realise that you can post other stuff too? I've made some very good friends on here without the need to high five everyone because we actually communicate :flowerforyou:

yes - I've had some great chats with people! And a couple of times I've posted a "getting to know you" status update, asking my friends to tell me a bit about themselves and their lives, which is illuminating. My main gripe is that the website doesn't send you any updates or make it easy to keep up with either threads or comments on your status! So you have to keep trawling back through to see if anyone's responded to you, and it does make conversations difficult - a couple of my friends have responded to me via private messages, which makes it easier to maintain a conversation - but only one to one. MFP fail I think! Pretty basic I'd have thought - alerts when someone quotes or replies to you in a thread, or leaves a comment on your status.

Being a Brit, I'm far too polite to turn anyone down who sends me a FR! But I've started chasing people up if they don't leave a message asking them why they've sent me the request if it's not someone I've interacted with in a thread.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    username if it seems to promote ED's or other unhealthy behavior its denied.
    profile picture, if it depicts something unhealthy its denied.
    if there is no message with request it is denied..

then if someone is inactive for more then 3 days they are deleted or if i never talk to you and you never talk to me you're also deleted.
    i keep my friend list very short because i dont need to collect 500 friends and never talk to any of them, and not remember whos who.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have 6 friends on site and I have been here 4 months. Of those 6, really only 3 of them ever look at my diary or comment on exercise and progress. And I do my best to support those 3 as well. Seriously, if someone is active on the site, really trying to eat healthy and exercise, and not just an attention seeker - friend collector, I would accept their friend request.
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    I accept everyone and if they are creepy or MIA too long I delete them later.... Not about looks or a message to me, happy to get to know them all eventually. Have met some really awesome funny people here ❤️❤️
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I accept everyone. If we don't talk much or just don't mesh, I can go delete later.
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have a harder time accepting girls with eating disorders though. It really makes me feel bad... it's such a serious problem, and I don't want to be encouraging them in any way, but I don't know if I can help them either. Out of fear that I may in any way unintentionally encourage thier illness, (like what if they eat under their calorie goal and I comment "way to go!" by accident, as I do for those on my friends list that are trying to lose weight??!!!) so I often decline. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing... it really saddens me to see someone who's goal is essentially a BMI of 15. :(

I have a really hard time with this too, I don't want to delete them because they clearly need some sort of guidance, but I hate when I feel like they are just looking for the attention.

I generally accept every request, then I weed them out based on how they "perform" so to speak. If I find you annoying, or I think that you're just not invested in this, or if you don't log in for weeks then I'll delete them. I really do like to get to know the people on my friends list, but since even I've been guilty of sending a friend request without a message I don't discriminate based on that.
  • NormInv
    Options
    I have a lot of issues with the ED chicks too cuz I hate the chicks who are eating 500 calories. I feel bad deleting them so I let them have it, no holds barred. They end up deleting me.
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I acccept everybody but I realize I do it grudgingly. Thankfully most of them leave me alone. The ones that do interact are cool though.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I don't accept anyone, I like being alone.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    When I was on here before, I'd only accept requests that had a message (but something more than "You look awesome!", which is lovely, but not what I'm looking for) and were from people who provided thoughtful, useful, non-insulting posts/replies to others--even when presenting opposing viewpoints.
    Didn't ever accept any random guys, and usually unfriended those who's diet consisted of things I wouldn't feed my dog, followed by complaints and "poor me's" about not being able to lose weight/fat. I also declined requests from gif-happy posters because that annoys the hell out of me. Now I am even more picky. But I'm not here for social interactions or to make friends; it's more of a personal thing.

(Wow, do I sound like a *****.)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options

DECLINED!
    I think I'd have to send one first before you could decline it!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I pretty much accept all requests from women. If it's a man I'll check their profile. If they only have women friends I'll decline. Just something creepy about that.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I accept everyone and if they are creepy or MIA too long I delete them later.... Not about looks or a message to me, happy to get to know them all eventually.

This.