So I said I'd come back after 4 weeks of logging properly!

Options
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1094381-i-don-t-even-know-where-i-m-going-wrong-please-help

And here I am (albeit with dental surgery late last week )

So.
Average daily burn over 28 days (via fitbit): 2390 calories
Average daily consumed over 28 days : 1920

Weight lost: 0.15kg
No inches/cm lost in waist, abdomen, hips

Any advice now?
I tried to bring my goal down by 500 calories a day, as some people suggested, but I couldn't handle it. Based on the figures above, I'm already at nearly 500 deficit anyway

*I drink at least 2litres a day and weigh/measure my food where applicable
*My job involves a lot of standing, lifting (60-105lb at a time is common), upper body movement and a few steps at a time that my fitbit doesn't pick up. This is at least 6 hours in my day. I can be standing folding and packing fabric for an hour and it will only give me BMR burn. This, plus my past history of weight maintenence are what makes me think the fitbit underestimates for me
*On top of that I generally do 3-5 hours moderate to brisk walking a week(outside with dog, big hills, or the 4 or 5 mile Leslie Sansone vid), plus YAYOG workouts 2-3 times a week. I don't log the YAYOG but the walks add to my fitbit burn of course.
*My 84-85kg weight has been in the past maintained on approx 3000 calories a day, but that was also with doing less at work (i.e 1-2 hours moving rather than the 6-7 now) and with none of the exercise mentioned above.
*I'm 5'4", in the 35-40% BF range, and have no thyroid, insulin, or food problems except for mild lactose intolerance.

Where to from here?
Thanks

Replies

• EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Will watch responses with interest.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I looked at a few days of your diary and I have a couple of thoughts.

1. Use a food scale if you're not already to weigh and measure everything. I am just learning how far off measuring cups and spoons are, for example I had some PB2 tonight. A serving is 2 tbsp or 12 g. I weighed 1 tbsp at 8 g, so 2 would have been around 16 g. Those differences will add up quickly.

2. You say your average daily consumed is 1980 but I saw 1100, 1300, and 1650 (rounded). Yet your daily goal is around 2400. I would try to eat around the same amount daily so your body knows what to expect.

3. You may have to tweak your macros to find the best combination for you. That will take some experimenting. I eat at 35% carbs, 35% protein, and 30% fat (or try to).

4. The exercise you get through work may not be as effective because your body is used to it. I would change it up, if you run then try a bike or elliptical. Add strength training. Try 30DS, or something similar to kick start your weight loss.

5. You can always have your thyroid checked if you want.

6. Figure your TDEE and compare that to your fitbit and choose your deficit based on that as it includes exercise, but you need to be absolutely honest about your activity. I use the Scooby workshop, fat2fitradio, and iifym calculators and average the three.

Good luck
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    2. You say your average daily consumed is 1980 but I saw 1100, 1300, and 1650 (rounded).

You must have looked at only the most recent days, as mentioned I had dental surgery late last week.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    IMO your FitBit is exaggerating your burn by around 200 calories/day, average. This is a based on the details you provided, plus 6 hours a day of "light activity". With an actual deficit of around 200 calories, four weeks would lead to....well, not very much loss, well within the error margin of a scale.

IMO, you're simply eating too much for your activity level. I know it sucks - most of us have been in that same place, and can totally sympathize. Drop your intake by 300 calories a day for a month, and you'll have your definitive answer.

Good luck!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    IMO your FitBit is exaggerating your burn by around 200 calories/day, average. This is a based on the details you provided, plus 6 hours a day of "light activity". With an actual deficit of around 200 calories, four weeks would lead to....well, not very much loss, well within the error margin of a scale.

IMO, you're simply eating too much for your activity level. I know it sucks - most of us have been in that same place, and can totally sympathize. Drop your intake by 300 calories a day for a month, and you'll have your definitive answer.

Good luck!

Agree. I'd go to 1700 calories a day and you will survive on that. It takes more planning but if you actually want to lose weight it's what you'll probably need to learn to eat. If you think that sucks, my BMR is 1194 and I maintain now on 1500 or a bit less. You aren't much taller than I am so if you do get down to a normal weight that's probably going to be your life.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to a dietitian... mine has helped me immensely..
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    S'all about diet.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Your fiber intake is very low most days. You may find it easier to maintain a larger caloric deficit each day if you increase the amount of fiber in your diet.

Most people eat about the same WEIGHT of food each day, so choosing foods that are higher in water content and/or fiber can help you feel fuller on fewer calories.
  • lilacinfinity
    Options
    Your fiber intake is very low most days. You may find it easier to maintain a larger caloric deficit each day if you increase the amount of fiber in your diet.

Most people eat about the same WEIGHT of food each day, so choosing foods that are higher in water content and/or fiber can help you feel fuller on fewer calories.

I hadn't heard the weight thing before - do you have more of an explanation for that? I do find fats leave me fuller for longer but I guess that's going the opposite way isn't it?

Fibre is a tricky one here as it doesn't have to be, and often isn't, labelled on a lot of foods. Unless the food is trying to sell itself on fibre or is imported, it usually not listed.
    I have been trying to get more. Prior to this week and the dental issues I had weekly totals of 140 124 & 114g
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I know you say your job is physical, but i think to really increase calorie burn you have to get your heart rate up and/or work your muscles in a significant way, so you may be overestimating your activity.
    Regarding your numbers...I think a goal of 1920 a day is a bit high. During my journey from 300 pounds to 190 my goal has always been 1500 or less (plus some exercise calories, but not all), except for when I was camping and hiking everyday for hours. My sedentary daily expenditure is around 1900, I'm an inch shorter than you, 190 pounds.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I hadn't heard the weight thing before - do you have more of an explanation for that? I do find fats leave me fuller for longer but I guess that's going the opposite way isn't it?

Fibre is a tricky one here as it doesn't have to be, and often isn't, labelled on a lot of foods. Unless the food is trying to sell itself on fibre or is imported, it usually not listed.
    I have been trying to get more. Prior to this week and the dental issues I had weekly totals of 140 124 & 114g

Foods that are high in fiber and low in calories (non-starchy vegetables, for example) fill your stomach and promote a feeling of fullness without adding a lot of extra calories.
  • lilacinfinity
    Options

Good luck!

That makes me tempted to just ditch the fitbit entirely. Is not crediting me for my activity at work hardly at all and even then is overestimating?
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    When I lowered my calorie goal, it took me about three weeks for my body to get used to it. I would try lowering your goal again and give yourself some time to get used to it.
  • lilacinfinity
    Options

Foods that are high in fiber and low in calories (non-starchy vegetables, for example) fill your stomach and promote a feeling of fullness without adding a lot of extra calories.

And how to deal with them leaving me ravenous an hour later? I guess it works well for people who can eat little and often. I often can't get lunch until 3pm after starting work at 6am. Any ideas?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    If you're not having any hormonal issues, then your intake is still too high.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lilacinfinity
    Options
    Ok I have adjusted my goal.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit is just a gadget, not gospel. If you've lost zero inches and zero weight, then you're either eating at maintenance or very close to it. Believe me, I know it's not fun to eat at a 500 calorie per day deficit...how about dropping it down 250 a day and seeing if you lose half a lb per week?
  • lilacinfinity
    Options

Agree. I'd go to 1700 calories a day and you will survive on that. It takes more planning but if you actually want to lose weight it's what you'll probably need to learn to eat. If you think that sucks, my BMR is 1194 and I maintain now on 1500 or a bit less. You aren't much taller than I am so if you do get down to a normal weight that's probably going to be your life.

That bmr would only be 47kg at my height which would be exceptionally underweight for me. I know everyone carries their weight differently but that would be nowhere near a normal weight for me. I'm aiming for 65kg or 60 at the least. Last time I was 60kg I was a size 8 which is a us 4 but a 20-years-ago size 4. (I'm currently a us 10)

I'll see how I go on my new goal. It makes me want to cry though.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go with 1500, try 1700 or 1800 first.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go with 1500, try 1700 or 1800 first.

This person knows what's up. If 1500 feels insurmountable, they just drop it 100 calories and adjust. Once you are used to that, drop it again and so on.