Adverse effects from frequent ice cream eating?

Options

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    For a healthier option, substitute fresh fruit for the ice-cream.
    Your body will thank you for it.

I love fresh fruit...with all my heart....but if I want ice cream, fresh fruit is no substitute!

I say, If you can fit it in, and you aren't (pre)diabetic or lactose intolerant (ill just take a lactaid!), go for it! Look at the ingredients on most ice cream, it's pretty basic "natural" stuff. Milk, sugar, cream, eggs (I think) chocolate or other flavoring, maybe nuts, etc. sounds healthy to me!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    eat a small apple before you run...see if that helps to keep you from wanting ice cream when you're finished.
  • pgoodt1994
    pgoodt1994 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen blackberries. Have a cup, put some sugar free cool whip on them and some lightly salted peanuts.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've yet to have any ice cream in the 90+ days I've started MFP. My best friend ( and housemate ) was about 9 stone. She took a liking to Ben and Jerrys Fish Food. Had a whole tub a night, about 5 nights a week.

1 year down the line she was 16.5 stone.

I COMPLETELY realise a tub a night is the reason here. But for that reason, I have been completely put off ice cream.

But oddly enough, NOT put off the Jaffa Cakes, Cadburys and Chinese takeaways that caused my own weight gain. lmao!

So GO for it. My fear is my fear. You just allot the calories for it, like I do with my occasional takeaways and ( daily ) sweeties. I've yet to start my healthy eating plan and have lost 25lbs.
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you manage the rest of your diet and activity...I'm here because I started eating major sugar 18 months ago, and gained 55 pounds! Obviously, if you combine it with exercise and healthy foods, you can avoid that fate.....
  • Frayde
    Frayde Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the one to say that even though the ingredients are basically healthy, there's a problem, but there is. Diabetes isn't the only issue. You need to consider your cholesterol too. I gave up a 5-night-a-week 1/3-of-a-container of Ben and Jerry's habit about 10 years ago and watched my total cholesterol drop from 300 to 200 in 6 months without meds. Eat ice cream in moderation. Your heart will thank you.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that no one is talking about the long-term effects of high sugar consumption... I see most of you who are suggesting that the OP "go for it" are in your 20s and 30s. Get back to me in 30 years when your high sugar consumption has caused high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease or a stroke.

I'm all about living for today, but if that's the case, then load up on crap food and don't worry about "working it off". There's nothing wrong with being fat... that is, until you get into your 40s and 50s and the lifestyle you've chosen starts to have REAL effects on your health. Same with high sugar consumption. There's nothing wrong with it NOW... but when you get into your 50s, you may be wishing you had made healthier choices in your youth.
  • SweetieMelissa
    SweetieMelissa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    No. Diabetes is caused by being overweight and not getting enough exercise. A normally functioning pancreas can handle plenty of sugar.

No! This girl in high school who was skinny and normal weight has diabetes. You probably mean non-genetic diabetes!

Edited to remove the uppercase NO!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that no one is talking about the long-term effects of high sugar consumption... I see most of you who are suggesting that the OP "go for it" are in your 20s and 30s. Get back to me in 30 years when your high sugar consumption has caused high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease or a stroke.

I'm all about living for today, but if that's the case, then load up on crap food and don't worry about "working it off". There's nothing wrong with being fat... that is, until you get into your 40s and 50s and the lifestyle you've chosen starts to have REAL effects on your health. Same with high sugar consumption. There's nothing wrong with it NOW... but when you get into your 50s, you may be wishing you had made healthier choices in your youth.

And can you back up your statements that "high" sugar consumption causes high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease and strokes?

Awaits epidemiological studies as "proof"
  • alphal0b0
    alphal0b0 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What my freezer currently looks like. So you already know my opinion.
    20131004_221731_zps005c5712.jpg

It's good to see you left some space for ICE CUBES!!! :laugh: :drinker:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I run long enough to cancel out the calories from the ice cream cones I'd have after the runs, but if I were having them 2x or sometimes 3x a week (1 scoop on a sugar cone), should I be concerned of what these frequent sugar spikes are doing to my pancreas?

No.

Unless you have a genetic predisposition to diabetes (ask your doctor), at that level of consumption you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Why would they? 1 scoop on ice cream, even on a cone, 2-3x per week is hardly 'high sugar consumption'. The OP won't get fat if he/she is running it off. Plus, I've yet to see a legitimate study done on the long term effects of a high sugar diet vs any other diet in healthy adult humans - and epidemiologic studies don't count. There's too many other confounding variables to make those reliable in the least.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of diabetes in my family, mostly my aunts on my dad's side. A few of my aunts were not overweight but got diabetes when they were youngsters and have been insulin dependent since. My other aunts got it when they were older, but they were all pretty overweight. Now, these other aunts who got it when they were older control it through diet. There are different kinds of diabetes, as SweetieMeliss mentioned.

In response to the OP, have you thought about looking at why you are craving the ice cream? I think it's interesting how you crave this particular thing after running.Is it your reward for doing a great job, or is it a physical craving?

If you decide it's a psychological (a reward), then you might want to think of other way to reward yourself other than food. Someone else mentioned that your behavior around ice cream sounded like an addiction. That is also something else to look at.

However, if you decide it is truly a physical craving, you might want to pay a visit to your doctor. You could have some blood sugar problems you don't know about.

As for the question about whether there could be adverse effect from frequent ice cream eating: no food is bad and moderation is the key. I believe those good gooey wonderful things are better saved as treats rather than a frequent or everyday thing.

In fact, this is something I am working on right now. I don't eat ice cream because I am lactose intolerant, but I do eat Cocoanut Milk Dairy Desert, no sugar added, very frequently. In fact, it's almost as if this desert has moved from the treat category to the must have category. Now, I'm finding other foods to eat as a night time desert now because I don't like feeling like I'm addicted to anything.

However, if you choose that that ice cream is what you want after you run, just be sure to enjoy every single bite.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    And can you back up your statements that "high" sugar consumption causes high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease and strokes?

Yes, I can. But if I did, you'd tell me why those studies weren't valid, and we'd go back and forth ad infinitum... Not my idea of fun. I'm not here to prove anything. To you or anyone else. Everyone here has a computer. They can look it up if they're interested. I have found several studies linking high sugar consumption to pancreatic and endometrial cancers, not to mention the maladies I listed before.

As I said, let's see how your opinions change as your body matures and the consumption of fatty and sugar-laden substances starts having a toll on your body. Until then, eat up! :smile:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Yes, I can. But if I did, you'd tell me why those studies weren't valid, and we'd go back and forth ad infinitum... Not my idea of fun. I'm not here to prove anything. To you or anyone else. Everyone here has a computer. They can look it up if they're interested. I have found several studies linking high sugar consumption to pancreatic and endometrial cancers, not to mention the maladies I listed before.

As I said, let's see how your opinions change as your body matures and the consumption of fatty and sugar-laden substances starts having a toll on your body. Until then, eat up! :smile:

The burden of proof is on the claim making and as I suspected you found a correlation of sugar consumption to various things, which isn't the same as causing them

Uh oh now organic foods are linked to autism

autism_organic_foods.jpg
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Recently I'm having a lot of cravings for ice cream (and donuts and chocolates for that matter).
    I've never been a big sweets person for years, so this new increase in sugar craving is kind of unsettling.

It's just my opinion, but this sounds like addictive behavior to me. If this were any other substance, like alcohol, tobacco, or cocaine, would it be OK to consume as much as you wanted, as long as you slept it off? I believe in moderation and freedom so frankly, it's up to you as to how much of a substance you consume, but if it were me, I would be concerned and would take steps to break this addiction.

Look up the adverse effects of sugar and read about it. And switching to chemically-sweetened sweets is even worse.

Oh, dear lord!
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I eat my ice cream out of a bowl not a cone. Somehow I justify this as being better for me. :happy:
  • belgd
    belgd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What my freezer currently looks like. So you already know my opinion.
    20131004_221731_zps005c5712.jpg

Perfect lol. I'd be way too tempted to eat it all at once though.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I eat my ice cream out of a bowl not a cone. Somehow I justify this as being better for me. :happy:

Well, didn't ya hear, it IS much better for you this way, and it has less calories! :bigsmile:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    No. Diabetes is caused by being overweight and not getting enough exercise. A normally functioning pancreas can handle plenty of sugar.

No! This girl in high school who was skinny and normal weight has diabetes. You probably mean non-genetic diabetes!

Edited to remove the uppercase NO!
    One would hope that the entirety of this thread would imply that I was referring to Type II diabetes only. The OP is not a child and is worried about developing diabetes from sugar intake. None of this references genetics. In fact, Type I and Type II diabetes have little to do with each other.