Replies

• Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    57 here... Add me if you'd like to.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Good idea James, although I'm not real keen on having my picture taken skinny or fat:) Baby steps, I tell my students, you can't eat an elephant all in one bite.

I felt like that. And I still do when I look at old photos of how I was. I stumbled across one recently I hadn't seen for a long time, it looked like someone else! It still hurts to see.

Maybe facing the camera is something you need to do because it's part of you casting off the old you that you don't like, and embracing a new you - and if you don't really look, you won't see what changes. And there are days and moments when you will sink down again and think nothing has changed. That's when the photos help move you on.

But I'm glad I have them - because now I can put photos of me as I am now next to them and really see what I've acheived. And I love having my picture taken now!
  • Fkika3131
    Fkika3131 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi, Welcome to the most awesome place where you will indeed meet awesome ppl in here. Where we all are willing to motivate each other. I just turned 45 a few weeks ago. You can do this. Feel free to add me...we can motivate each other.
  • newdoda
    newdoda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Love the mani/pedi idea; haven't had one since February and could really use one. Operative word being "use"!:wink:
  • newdoda
    Options
    Did a little more research on the kettle bell workout and I am decreasing the caloric burn from 400 to 200 for 20 min. I would rather err on the side of caution. Even if I over estimated it still doesn't explain the 1 lb gain since I am consistently exercising and I have not been eating those extra calories given for the logged exercise. Just want to tackle the problem head on before I go another week and gain more. UHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!
  • kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    best of luck . With a lot to I want to loose I try to focus on weekly goals. Each week I just say by next week I want be X pounds so just 1 pound off feels like a success. Week on week that builds. Even if I plateau for a week I consider the a successful week since i didn't gain any back.
  • Careygirl1968
    Careygirl1968 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Remember that as you work out, you are building muscle, which is more dense than fat. That's why it's important to measure as well, or trust how your clothes are fitting. It's all progress!
  • Kevinkpcc55
    Kevinkpcc55 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Im 51, last December felt the same way and though enough was enough, so started with exercise burning calories, discovered MFP, so started calories and here i am now, still a bit to go but getting there. You have started the journey by logging here, find what fits into your daily routine and enjoy the journey.
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nancyvero
    Options
    I walked 14 miles last week. I can't remember when the last time I did that was. I'm treating myself to a pedometer instead of food!!!:bigsmile:
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    WTG NANCY!! That is a wonderful reward!! :drinker:
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hey ~ I didn't think i could do this either. And i have a few more years on you! In a month i will be 68 ! Thats hard to believe as i really don't feel like that (most of the time!) Anyway - I started on MFP 5 months ago today. My goal i set up was 30 lbs which realistically - i didn't think was possible. But- why not - put a goal down. After a few days I realized the MFP was just what i needed as the accountability of it - is what makes me tick. I love logging it all. I really like knowing where i am during the day. I do exercise a lot and most people on here will tell you that the exercise is not all that important. But for me it is. No - you still can't eat stupidly! That would not work. And i don't. I do eat back about half of my exercise calories. MFP has most exercises overrated as far as calorie burn goes - so keep that in mind. But exercise allows me to have treats everyday and so it really doesn't make me feel deprived.

But anyway - here i am - 28 lbs down. So close to my "goal" that i didn't believe possible. And Now - i want to go lower. I can - it is slowing up, since i am now at a weight that i haven't seen since my 20's!

So - yes - you can do this! If you mess up a day - no problem - start back the very next day - it happens. Life happens.

Get out there - enjoy.
    (oh yes - Do take a before pic. I didn't - because like you - i hated the way i looked and avoided cameras! Now i wish i had that before picture )

Good luck - its doable!
  • nancyvero
    Options
    Dianne - Congrats to you on your hard work!!! That is awesome.
  • kimisue51
    Options
    I'm a 62 yr old grama of 4 - finally found the courage to look myself in th mirror. Hired a trainer (a godsend) and have lost 22 lbs in 6 weeks. Finally I;m a little bit proud of myself - glad to head so man success stories!
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    What an absolutely wonderful and motivating thread! I am 56 and have been on my journey to health since March! The comraderie and friendships here really help! If anyone would like to add me, it would be great as we can travel this journey together!
  • BreakfastSunFitness
    Options
    Hey I am the same age! We are all in this together.
  • BreakfastSunFitness
    Options
    Congrats Dianne:smile:
  • newdoda
    Options
    That's a great idea!
  • kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I hear you I'm 51 and got to a point I didn't like catching myself in the mirror sans clothing ....

But Ive been doing this for 3 months now and have lost 21 lb so far that's after having been stocky most of my life.

so good luck I'm sure you'll do fine.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I am 56.. I lost 22lbs when I was 53.. I now do 1000 push ups a day.. 3 years ago I use to work out but was fat.. Now I am fit.