"The problem with sugar is your problem with sugar"

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    In, way late, to catch up later. I'm sure I missed all the fun.
  • magerum

Yep, I'll take that. Although HFCS /the highly processed sugars we have today are a completely different creature to the naturally occurring sugars found in fruit.

If I could cheaply buy pot, coke & Ecstasy pretty much EVERYWHERE I would have a problem with them too.

Well, not so much a problem as just a minimal relationship with sobriety.

:noway:

<tinhatgif.gif>
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member

Yep, I'll take that. Although HFCS /the highly processed sugars we have today are a completely different creature to the naturally occurring sugars found in fruit.

If I could cheaply buy pot, coke & Ecstasy pretty much EVERYWHERE I would have a problem with them too.

Well, not so much a problem as just a minimal relationship with sobriety.

Sounds like you have a motivation problem
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member

:noway:

<tinhatgif.gif>
    There are a lot of people out there of adult age but who still haven't grown up and learned how to act like anything but a lab rat that lives only in the moment and mindlessly pushes a button over and over for short term benefit with no concern for the long term effects.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    The article is interesting but perpetuates a lot of misconceptions. The problem with addiction is that it centers in the brain and not in the food processing area which the article didn't address (well not in the bits I read anyway). The problem for people addicted to sugar really is sugar. Well, the problem is that people prime themselves by eating a little which triggers the addictive process off. Not everyone is like this of course but some are. A great resource which (not only says it contains but does really) contain information about why sugar is addictive at a biological level can be found here...

http://www.radiantrecovery.com/newsensitive.htm
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Thanks for posting the article. I will be posting the link on my profile.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    When I think about people I know who have never had a weight problem they usually do not abstain from anything. Overall they eat less and honestly I don't think they spend as much time worried about food. Maybe because they've never had a weight problem, who knows.
    I agree with you. In a similar thread I started keeping track of the people who did not think that food behavioral addiction was real vs. those who did, and without exception every single person who did not who had a profile pictures was reasonably fit.

It's anecdotal, but I did see the pattern.

Oh there's a pattern all right :laugh:
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    bump for later...
  • ryry_
    When I think about people I know who have never had a weight problem they usually do not abstain from anything. Overall they eat less and honestly I don't think they spend as much time worried about food. Maybe because they've never had a weight problem, who knows.
    I agree with you. In a similar thread I started keeping track of the people who did not think that food behavioral addiction was real vs. those who did, and without exception every single person who did not who had a profile pictures was reasonably fit.

I was 80+ lbs overweight...guess pattern is broken...speaking of people who seek confirmation bias
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

I actually find this reasoning a little offensive.

"Oh, you don't have issues with food/sugar/believe in food addiction. Well you must have never had weight issues. Oh, you were bigger? Well, not big ENOUGH to count/I don't believe you, you're fit now."

Dismissing people and what they've gone through or claiming it doesn't count because it doesn't fit into your little 'theory' is just...unseemly.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    There is absolutely NO nutritional value for the body by consuming raw sugar in ANY form. I avoid it like the flu. I use stevia if I need the powder form or I use honey. LOVE LOVE LOVE honey, and I treat myself to honey from Germany. It is a lot more flavorful than ours and totally worth buying. But as for me and sugar---never never,
  • Achrya
    There is absolutely NO nutritional value for the body by consuming raw sugar in ANY form. I avoid it like the flu. I use stevia if I need the powder form or I use honey. LOVE LOVE LOVE honey, and I treat myself to honey from Germany. It is a lot more flavorful than ours and totally worth buying. But as for me and sugar---never never,

Is honey not made of the same stuff (Chemically) with the same lack of nutritional value as other forms of sweeteners?
  • ryry_

Is honey not made of the same stuff (Chemically) with the same lack of nutritional value as other forms of sweeteners?

Not if its from Germany...Heil da Honey
  • magerum

I was 80+ lbs overweight...guess pattern is broken...speaking of people who seek confirmation bias

I weighed 337lbs at one point.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Do you also avoid sex unless you are certain it will result in pregnancy?
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member

I'm Catholic.
  • Achrya

I'm Catholic.

I'm sorry.

Too much? My bad. I'll see myself out.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    This thread has also started me wondering where the heck I can get my hands on a piece of sugar cane.

at your local caribbean ethnic store!...you chew it up, suck the juice and spit the fibrous material out.
    It's monstrously good stuff.
    eating-sugar-cane-mmmmm.jpg

Oh, believe me, I know how wonderful it is. I just can't think of a single store down here that would carry it. I know of at least one person who grows the stuff, but I'll be darned if I can remember the name. Maybe if I corner the next West Indian or Jamaican that wanders through they'll know...

You bet they will.:laugh: Here in NY, they sell it at Western Beef (supermarket). I haven't had it since I was small but it was a helluva treat for us kids.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

you realize honey has sugar in it, right?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

you realize honey has sugar in it, right?

...but it's natural...

...so it's chemically different...

...and doesn't count...

...because science.