NaNoWriMo

Options
kaitimae
kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
So, it is almost November, which means it is almost time for NaNoWriMo! (National Novel Writing Month.) With so many members here, there have to be people other than me taking part in this wonderful month. If you are planning on writing in November, add me on the NaNoWriMo site and here as well, so we can be writing buddies! My NaNoWriMo screen name is the same as my MFP one, kaitimae.

Don't know what the hell I am talking about? National Novel Writing Month is a contest (against yourself mostly) that challenges you to write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November. It does not have to be good. It does not even have to make sense. In fact, the vast majority are terrible! But it is extremely fun, a great challenge, and when the month is over you get to tell all your friends "Hey, I wrote a novel!". Winners are everyone who completes their 50,000 words and has it verified by the websites wordcount feature. If you are at all interested in writing, I highly encourage you to join - it is free, but donations to the organization that runs it are accepted and appreciated. =)

For more information, or to join up, the website is: www.nanowrimo.org. I hope there are others who will be joining me!!!

Replies

• Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    I couldn't believe it when I saw this. I am already signed up, and will def add you as a buddy. Please do the same. (My name there is Memah.) I got my nephew and a good college friend to join, and my college friend got two others. I did NaNo last year and when I broke my leg in Feb. that gave me lots of time to spend editing. I think I am very near the end of editing now and would really like to publish. The writing class I've been in ends tonight and the instructor will be talking about agents, publishers, query letters, etc. Hope to get some good nuts and bolts information and leads.

I am going to do NaNo again next month, but as of this moment all I have is a title and some characters' names. I'd better get cracking with an idea of story. I am hoping that my main character will reveal it to me when I start to write at 12:01 a.m. on Nov. 1.

NaNo rocks! Thanks for the post. :smile:
  • Hoverlight
    Options
    I'm doing NaNoWriMo too! The only thing I'm worried about is my writing time taking over my evenings. I'll have to exercise in the morning instead...sigh
  • xquiz8
    xquiz8 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm doing NaNo! My screen name is the same on MFP and the NaNo site as well. Can't wait until November 1st!! :happy:
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Yes, I do know about the site/contest! I've never done it before, although I have thought about it. I've got a novel in the works right now, but unfortunately, I'm too much of a perfectionist to do one in that short amount of time! I've also got a screenplay that I'm working on as well, but Hollywood is a tough sell, so that may turn into a novel as well! And I've got a blog on here that I write once or twice a week!

Have you done the NaNoWriMo before?

Happy writing!

Trisha
  • kaitimae
    Options

I have! I did it two years ago, in 2008, and won. Then I tried again last year and that was when I was just getting into this weight loss journey, and I was reading so many books and blogs and things, that I decided it was more important to me to be learning those things. So I didn't win last year. But I am determined to again next month!!!

YAY! I am so excited for new NaNoWriMo friends!!! I will add you all soon!
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    Kaiti, I just added you as a writing buddy on the NaNo site, and I hope you will add me. This will be great fun. Now we can share our fitness and our writing journeys together.
  • trisha329
    Options

I have! I did it two years ago, in 2008, and won. Then I tried again last year and that was when I was just getting into this weight loss journey, and I was reading so many books and blogs and things, that I decided it was more important to me to be learning those things. So I didn't win last year. But I am determined to again next month!!!

YAY! I am so excited for new NaNoWriMo friends!!! I will add you all soon!

You WON??? That's fabulous!! Congratulations! Were you able to get it published?
  • kaitimae
    Options
    Memah - Yep, so far you are the only one I have found!!!
  • kaitimae
    Options
    Haha, well, anyone who finishes "wins". =) Nope, definitely not published, it was BAD BAD BAD!!! Hahaha. I would eventually like to be published, but that would mean I would actually have to finish a story. (many started, none finished... yet!)
  • kaitimae
    Options
    I'm doing NaNo! My screen name is the same on MFP and the NaNo site as well. Can't wait until November 1st!! :happy:

I looked for you, but didn't find you on the website - if you find me though, I will add you back! =)
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I just joined, so everyone please friend me there:flowerforyou: My name is the same as here....
    this will be my first year, so I am a novice! I have always wanted to write though, and have 3 different books that I have beginnings for, all in different notebooks and scratch paper all over the place. I am passionate about books and the literary world though, so maybe this will be the challenge I need to try out writing seriously.
    Thanks for the insight to this awesome website!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just added everyone that I could find....I am not sure how far I will get, but I am excited to try!
  • kaitimae
    Options
    Ok, I just added everyone that I could find....I am not sure how far I will get, but I am excited to try!

Welcome! Yay! Yes, it is always fun - and we will encourage you to finish! If you get behind, the best time to catch up is Thanksgiving, if you get that weekend off work. Also, make sure you join a "region" on the NaNoWriMo website - that way you will get news from your local leaders, and meet up with other people to write together - at least that is what Denver does. =)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i did it last year and only wrote 30,000 words, but i was pretty happy with my effort. :) i meant to write women's fiction but i ended up writing about how i felt about my dad dying. i was good to get it out on paper. i am going to do it again this year and aim for 40,000 words, hopefully an elementary-aged short novel. i haven't signed up for this year yet, but it is on my list of things to do. my user name is also the same as here. happy writing everyone!
  • trisha329
    Options

Welcome! Yay! Yes, it is always fun - and we will encourage you to finish! If you get behind, the best time to catch up is Thanksgiving, if you get that weekend off work. Also, make sure you join a "region" on the NaNoWriMo website - that way you will get news from your local leaders, and meet up with other people to write together - at least that is what Denver does. =)

Kaitimae, are you in the Denver area??
  • kaitimae
    Options

Kaitimae, are you in the Denver area??

Yep!
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    WOW! Okay...I am a total dork!!! Just started almost the exact same post today...sorry Kaitimae, shoulda done a search :drinker:
    All, you can add me if you want as a buddy, name is same as on here!
  • xquiz8
    xquiz8 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I looked for you, but didn't find you on the website - if you find me though, I will add you back! =)

Odd. Must be because I hadn't logged on in a while? Anyway, I've added you :)

ETA: Please feel free to add me as a buddy on NaNo, everyone!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Way cool! I am going to try it! I have never heard of it before! My user mane is the same too!
  • kaitimae
    Options
    got you all added, i think. =)