What to do about syrup

Options

Replies

• upscalelifedownscalebutt
    Options
    Thanks all...I am trying so hard with this lifestyle change I don't want to screw it up....at my heaviest I was 325, I am now down about 50 lbs....but I still have a long way to go. I am trying to keep it at about 1200 a day, so I constantly have to be aware of what I am putting in my mouth.... My pancakes come out to about 70 calories a piece and I use approx. 1/8 cup of syrup for 2 pancakes....if I am correct with pure maple syrup that would be about 240 calories.... That is not as bad as I thought.....

1/8 cup is 2 Tbsp. Maple syrup is about 52/Tbsp (depends somewhat on grade), so your estimate (if that is pancakes included) seems about right.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If syrup is your thing why not just use yummy natural syrups in moderation? Even a tablespoon per pancake isn't that much.

I personally like defrosted (but still cold) raspberries (about 1 1/2 cups) with whipped cream (about 1/2 a cup). Whip the cream, add the berries. It's 150 Cals for 1 3/4 cups of topping (when I mix the raspberries in the whipped cream deflates a bit), which is enough to top 7-8 pancakes and still feel like a treat. Per pancake that isn't much.

Peanut butter and sliced apples is also delicious.
    My son likes pecans, shaved dark chocolate, and a drizzle of caramel syrup with a scoop of frozen greek yogurt (literally greek yogurt that has been chilled for 20-30 minutes).
    My daughter is a maple syrup and strawberries girl. She chops and grills the berries and mashes them with a bit of maple syrup and smears it on like jam.
    Jam works. Strawberry jam with sour cream is oddly delicious.
    You can also go savoury. Grilled balsamic red onions with pears is delicious.

Try something new each week.

Thank you for the great topping ideas and for suggesting using REAL syrup and real cream! Cool Whip is nasty and fake syrup is nasty too.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    My dad uses agave nectar and he likes it better because he says it's less sweet.

Mom and I switched to using whipped cream and strawberries. MUCH lower in calorie and provides a little sweetness and plenty of extra moisture.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of yogurt on my pancakes. Especially strawberry yogurt.
  • jooles48
    Options
    I have been using Maple Flavored Agave syrup.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I use 1/8 cup of pure maple syrup on two pancakes (that is basically 1 TBSP per pancake) and that is plenty for me. It is only about 100 - 105 calories. even less than that would even work sometimes, depending on the pancakes.

I've also been known to use applesauce, fresh fruit, whipped cream, or fruit preserves.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I either use the Aunt Jemima's Sugar free syrup or actual Maple Syrup. I don't like any other fake syrup, sugar-free or sugar-full.

That's just me though. Most places don't even have the real stuff when we are out but I'll reach for it if they do...
  • DaphMinkus
    Options
    I use this recipe for blueberry sauce, it does have a lot of sugar, but in comparison to using pure Maple syrup which is all sugar, it isn't bad (we do occasionally use the pure maple though).
    I calculated 80 calories per 1/4 cup. Trust me, you won't be sacrificing flavor, my husband who is not on a diet loves it! :D

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/blueberry-sauce/
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just eat the real stuff. Honestly, I think it says a serving is 1/4 cup, but I only use about half of that.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I either use the Aunt Jemima's Sugar free syrup or actual Maple Syrup. I don't like any other fake syrup, sugar-free or sugar-full.

That's just me though. Most places don't even have the real stuff when we are out but I'll reach for it if they do...

Depends where you are eating out. I find that even small diners and family owned restaurants do have the real stuff for a small charge of .50 or $1.00. It's all regional though since normally I see this in New England where the fake stuff is considered evil. :bigsmile:
  • upscalelifedownscalebutt
    Options
    Thank you for the great topping ideas and for suggesting using REAL syrup and real cream! Cool Whip is nasty and fake syrup is nasty too.

I'm Canadian. We love maple syrup so much we put it on our flag ; )

Birch syrup is also really yummy.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I use agave and I add it to my pancake batter for portion control. They come out pre-sweetened.

Good idea! I'm going to try this out
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Get a snack cup of diced peaches and pour over it. Yummy!
  • munchlaxx
    munchlaxx Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just pour a serving of maple into a little bowl and dip my pancakes enough for some flavor...last time I did that, I hardly made a dint in the syrup! Was surprised since I thought I used more syrup than that.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i would rather use the real maple syrup or mash up some fresh fruit and add a bit of honey to it. how about melting a tablespoon of peanut butter and pouring that over your pancakes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I make pancakes for my niece about once a week...the recipe I use has whole wheat flour since I dint eat white bread and I substitute unsweetened applesauce for the oil. My problem is that I don't know what to put on it, lol....I have been using mrs butterworth's sugar free only because pure maple syrup has so many calories in it....but I am not crazy about all the additives and the sugar substitute that is in sugar free stuff....is there a such thing as an all natural sugar free syrup.? Any ideas?

Just use less syrup...a serving is like 1/4 cup...that's a **** ton of syrup...certainly you could cut that down. I guess personally I've never been one to drown my pancakes in syrup....a little drizzle has always been good enough for me...about 1/4 ounce or so and it's like 40 or 50 calories or something...
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I would just skip pancakes all together at this point.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I buy the frozen mixed berries, nuke til warm then mash up a bit until kind of syrupy, and use that as my syrup. Sometimes I might also add a tiny bit of maple syrup, but I don't need much with the berries.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I would use the real thing. It's only once a week, and I would limit (or eliminate) other sweet treats on that day.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I buy the frozen mixed berries, nuke til warm then mash up a bit until kind of syrupy, and use that as my syrup. Sometimes I might also add a tiny bit of maple syrup, but I don't need much with the berries.

Agree with this one. Some pureed or mashed berries with a little honey or agave makes for a good pancake topper.