Jewelry and Gym

Options

Replies

• jenzakrzewski
    jenzakrzewski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My rings come off at the gym, for the exact reasons mentioned. I hate having my skin pinched between the ring and bar! I nearly always forget to take them off before I get into the gym, though, so I most often end up lacing it into my shoe.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Married people always wear their rings.

Yeah.. about that... no. I wear mine when it's safe to do so. Now that I work in an office setting, I wear it to work, but I don't wear it in the shower, in the gym, hiking, cleaning, cooking/baking, etc. My husband regularly forgets to put his on when he goes to work and neither of us wear it to bed.

Agreed - love people who speak for half the world :noway:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my wedding bands when doing weights for the same reasons as you but if I'm on the treadmill or something I don't bother removing them.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I take my wedding ring off for pretty much everything. Every time I'm going to get water or some other liquid on my hands I take it off. The only time I really don't is when I'm running, just usually don't think about it. When I do weights or swim it definitely comes off.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I wear my wedding ring all the time, even when I am lifting. The only time I take them off is when I am swimming, because my hands shrink and I am afraid I will lose them.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I always have my wedding bands on when I get to the gym but I do slip them off when doing deadlifts. I put them back on after that though. As for other jewelry, I will often have a simple necklace on but that's just because it's something that I don't take off for days at a time. Nothing else other than that.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

No, not true. Been happily married for 25 years and neither of us wears a ring. Too cumbersome at work and the gym. I don't need a ring to tell me I'm taken and if anyone asks I gladly tell them I am.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Not always in a game we have to remove ALL jewelry or it is a no play. I do the same at the gym for the same reason...dangerous to have them on in some of the activities.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I wear mine because I sort of think it would be cool if the rough part of the barbell would leave scratches on them, permanent battle wounds as opposed to the calluses that heal.

That's oddly poetic. I like it.

OP- I don't really wear rings in general, but lately I've been keeping on my cheap-o bracelets (black rubber bracelet and one of those rope bracelets), and I keep all of my piercings in. If I were still married, I wouldn't wear my ring though. Don't want to risk the ring getting bent and smashing my finger.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options

No, not true. Been happily married for 25 years and neither of us wears a ring. Too cumbersome at work and the gym. I don't need a ring to tell me I'm taken and if anyone asks I gladly tell them I am.

Same here - married for 12 years and we don't even have rings. If someone is flirting with me, it's not hard to bring up my husband in conversation and that's that. Between sports that we both do and my husband's work - they would be off more than they would be on for safety reasons, and they'd be expensive things to lose...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

even for MRIs? Xrays? married people take their rings off for many different reasons.
  • goldarae
    goldarae Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I wear mine because I sort of think it would be cool if the rough part of the barbell would leave scratches on them, permanent battle wounds as opposed to the calluses that heal.

I just recently got engaged and that sucker never comes off. My dad and my mom have been married to 32 years and my dad is an electrician who also never takes off his band. His wedding band is all kinds of crooked and scratched and I think it is so awesome.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Married people do remove them occasionally. My husband is a woodworker and for some projects it's safer to remove his ring. I'd rather he take the ring off than lose a finger! When we did Taekwondo I always took my ring off for sparring so I didn't scratch someone else with it.
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both wear our wedding bands,, He never takes his off...and I just very rarely take my off..only making biscuits or putting on panty hose..lol..but if you and your husband are ok.. with it nothing wrong with it..You and he both know your married..:smile:
  • grygst72
    Options
    my wife wants me to wear a ring to the gym; so I am buying another ring just for the gym that is stronger then gold and I will wear my real wedding band when out n about.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have been asked where my wedding bands are by married friends when i'm at the gym and I realize that among us I'm the only one without my bands. My husband and I don't go to the gym with our bands on because I hate having to make sure i don't get my skin pinched while doing weights or it somehow falling off. same thing with the husband.

So just curious, do any of you were wedding bands or jewelry at the gym?

I leave that stuff in the locker room, except for my prince albert.

How do you make friends with that thing on anyway?
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I used to wear mine into the gym and out of the gym and when I got there/left I would either store it in the side pocket of my gym bag or take it out of the same side pocket. It was in the same pocket as my gloves, headphones, water bottle, straps, etc. On New Years Eve it fell out when I was taking something out of the pocket. My heart dropped when I tore my bag apart when I got home. Thank god when I got there the day after new year's day I asked the girl if anyone had turned it in and luckily there was an envelope that contained my wedding ring. Thank god for honest people. Now I take it off and leave it in the car. It's locked and it's safe and I know exactly where it will be when I get back out there.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I don't wear mine IF I go the gym (usually I workout at home). Mine has diamonds all around it and it hurts when I lift. I don't even wear it around the house because it gets in the way when I'm painting and can cut into the sides of my fingers. My husband doesn't wear his when he lifts either. But both of us have a little bit of tan lines, so at least it's obvious that there's usually a ring there!
  • dextersgramps
    dextersgramps Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my wedding ring unless I`m going out somewhere special.For my own safety I wont wear it at work as it could get caught on something or arc against a wire terminal.At the gym it might pinch when lifting and also get distorted,I always have it with me in my wallet and if anyone asks I always let them know I`m happily married.It`s also Wife approved.:happy:
  • MrsCamp2013
    MrsCamp2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wear my wedding rings, that's it. I 1. don't want to get hit on, and 2. am scared to death of losing it! If I take it off, I lose it! I guess if it bothered me I'd take it off, but I havent had any problems