1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Replies

• minniemanion83
    minniemanion83 Posts: 13 Member
    I think saying a 1200 calorie diet is starving is a bit of a broad statement. I am only 5'1. I can not eat as much as someone who is 5'10 and lose weight. I do fine eating 1200 calories and my exercise calories.

Thank you! I am 4"8 and there is NO WAY I can go over about 1300 a day. I hardly get in 1200. I either don't have the opportunity to eat that much that often, or I just can't. I get full quickly and refuse to keep eating when I am not hungry.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    1. You do not need to "eat clean." (you can eat a variety of foods, lose weight, and meet nutritional needs)
    2. Drink the lemon water if you like the taste, but it will do nothing for weight loss.
    3. Meal timing is personal preference.
    4. You can eat lunch meat and still lose weight. (and be healthy)
    5. You do not have to limit condiments. (if it fits into your day, go for it.)
    6. You do not have to limit dairy. (unless you have a medical reason)
    7. You do not have to limit fruit. (fruit has numerous nutritional benefits)
    8. The only reason somebody should be restricting sugar is because of a medical reason. (sugar is carb, so track that.)

I agree with you. It appears OP used the "1200 calorie diet" to attract readers so he could promote some other agenda
  • AFGyrl
    AFGyrl Posts: 34 Member
    Another really good way to lose weight is to come here and preach. Folks will take bites out of your backside.

OMG! I love this! Seriously, this topic has been done to death.

lol!!!!!
  • I agree ...:smile:
  • I definitely agree with you about the 1200 calories. But then I realized that if I exercise; it afforded me more calories. I think that's what your last 2 sentences said right? That the more you excercise, the more calories you need.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    i dont like th ecaloric defict approach. I think you need to eat and exercise to lose weight. If you eat too few calories you wont have the energy to exercise.

Ah you can't lose weigh unless you are in a caloric deficet.....:ohwell:

That is completely not true.

Okay, I'll bite. How do you propose anyone should lose weight without taking in fewer calories than their bodies burn in a day?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    i dont like th ecaloric defict approach. I think you need to eat and exercise to lose weight. If you eat too few calories you wont have the energy to exercise.

Ah you can't lose weigh unless you are in a caloric deficet.....:ohwell:

That is completely not true.

Technically it is true, just manipulate water and sodium levels. Now if he meant fat loss well, so much for taking an educated approach
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I'm fairly new to this forum and am really surprised at how many people on here are starving themselves to lose weight. Weight loss is not a sprint its a marathon. Its something that should happen over time, not within a few weeks. Weight loss is more than just limiting your caloric intake. Its a combination of eating clean and healthy ( I hate the word diet) and exercising on a daily basis. Starving yourself is not a healthy way to lose weight and by limiting your caloric intake to 1200 or so calories is doing just that. Not only is it unhealthy, but its a process that you will never stick to because its not natural and uncomfortable to do. So lets be serious and talk about how to lose weight realistically.

I would first ask yourself, "why do I want to lose weight?' Is it for appearance? Is it to be more healthy? Is it to be able to make it up that flight of steps without getting tired? Once you understand your own reasoning you can then move forward and begin your weight loss journey, because after all that's what it should be, a journey not a short trip. Once you've realized your goal and the reason for it you need to make the biggest decision of all, and that's to commit to yourself and commit to achieving your goal of losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle.

So now you've made the decision to put your health first; now what? Lets start with your eating habits. What do you eat? When do you eat it? and how often are you eating? Your body is a very complex machine but by following some simple rules about eating, you can have it running very efficiently. Follow these few simple rules and you'll see and feel the difference in your energy level.
    -Start every day with an 8oz. glass of lemon water
    -Monitor your portions- you should be eating small portion meals throughout the day rather than one, two or three large portioned meals a day
    -Drink water, all day long
    -Focus on lean proteins like chicken, turkey, salmon etc. and I don't mean processed cold-cuts...
    -Focus on eating fresh vegetables, steamed when possible
    -Limit unnecessary condiments i.e. mayonnaise, oils, salt etc.
    -Limit, but don't restrict carbohydrates. Complex carbs are needed by your body
    -Dairy is ok but in limited portions and should be kept to low fat dairy. Greek yogurt is a good choice.
    -Fresh fruit should be kept to 1 or 2 pieces a day. Its high in sugar and you should be limiting your sugar

This si just a guide to go by. Your food intake should be directly related to your physical activity. Exercise is key but that's a whole other topic....

why do I have to eat throughout the day, and what is wrong with three meals a day as opposed to 6?
    What is wrong with olive oil?

Sounds like a bunch of broscience to me..

Eating small portioned meals consistently throughout the day will maintain a stable blood sugar level. Theres nothing wrong with olive oil in moderation, i dont think i sadi there was.

you said limit oils...

Also, you can eat three meals a day and have stable blood sugar...I believe there is a study somewhere showing that three meals was superior to six for blood sugar levels...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    if what "they want" is to lose weight they need to be dedicated and not give in to temptatiuon.
    1368621898806.jpg
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    And I believe that there are a bunch of studies that show that FASTING is superior for controlling blood sugar.

Stop. Now. Please. I love lunchmeat.
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    I think saying a 1200 calorie diet is starving is a bit of a broad statement. I am only 5'1. I can not eat as much as someone who is 5'10 and lose weight. I do fine eating 1200 calories and my exercise calories.
    Same here :)
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Setting aside the non-facts of the diet advice listed, am I the only one here who has a very difficult time taking seriously the propaganda of a person that is having such a difficult time with typing even the most basic of words?

I know this isn't the English department, but come on, man.

Resume your attacks, people :)
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Whilst I completely agree that eating clean is the optimum way to live, I find it very hard.

I have lost my 25lbs eating exactly the same as before. One day, I WILL commit to changes. But, right now my work life is severely stressful and I think if I had attempted to eat foods I dont find satisfying, I would never have made it past the first week.

I ate at 1200 cals for 2 months eating currys, chocolate and drinking tea with 3 sugars. Lost the exact same amount as I would have eating clean. Mind you, had I eaten clean I can assume I would have been able to consume a LOT more. But nevermind.
  • I think saying a 1200 calorie diet is starving is a bit of a broad statement. I am only 5'1. I can not eat as much as someone who is 5'10 and lose weight. I do fine eating 1200 calories and my exercise calories.

Im also 5 1, and could easily eat well over 1200 calories. Think about it.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    I seen a different Dr last week as my Dr was off. He told me the best way to lose weight is starvation. There is no point to exercising. Eat less and if you feel satisfied you have eaten too much. Always be hungry.....
    I laugh.....
    Ah ha ha ha ha
    1200 use to satisfy me.....
    I didnt lose weight either.....platue.....
    I upped cals.....weightloss.......
    I still eat bread and processed meat and i treat myself....OMG......i know:drinker:
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member

HUH?

Dude, you came on here basically telling everyone how it should be done. A better approach might have been - "Here's what I do. You may be able to adapt some of this to fit your plan.

As of this post I have 197 contradictions to your quote above.

I exercise, yes. But I eat at a deficit and DON'T eat back my exercise calories.

Maybe that's why I ruin everyone else's workout when I hang on to the hand rails on the treadmill. :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Setting aside the non-facts of the diet advice listed, am I the only one here who has a very difficult time taking seriously the propaganda of a person that is having such a difficult time with typing even the most basic of words?

I know this isn't the English department, but come on, man.

Resume your attacks, people :)

The thing about MFP is...you can share ridiculous dietary/nutrition advice...

...but if you question another member's spelling or grammar too many times, they'll lock you out of the forums.

True story.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Oh, dear god..........this again???????

Depends on who you are; no, it's not right for a 24 yo. 6ft. guy......
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    I ate all my Pop Corners in the "Kind of Appalled" thread. Sad panda :(