1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Yes. Seriously... well, 1270 actually. I'm only 5'1" and my TDEE is under 1700. If I want to lose 1/3 to 1/2 pound a week, I need to eat between 1200 & 1300 a day. Would I suggest this for my husband? Of course not! However, it works for me (slowly, but it works nonethless).
  • Tquest
    Tquest Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How does anyone know what is the appropriate number of calories per day? I can't do the 1200 calories. I feel like I am starving!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

1. You do not need to "eat clean." (you can eat a variety of foods, lose weight, and meet nutritional needs)
    2. Drink the lemon water if you like the taste, but it will do nothing for weight loss.
    3. Meal timing is personal preference.
    4. You can eat lunch meat and still lose weight. (and be healthy)
    5. You do not have to limit condiments. (if it fits into your day, go for it.)
    6. You do not have to limit dairy. (unless you have a medical reason)
    7. You do not have to limit fruit. (fruit has numerous nutritional benefits)
    8. The only reason somebody should be restricting sugar is because of a medical reason. (sugar is carb, so track that.)

True....ideally, as long as you stay under your RECOMMENDED (note I emphasized this because everyone needs a different amount depending on weight, height and activity) caloric intake you should lose weight. But just staying under your calories doesn't mean you are healthy. You should be eating whole foods and you should restrict your fat intake (and make sure you are eating the right fats, avocado, nuts, olive oil etc.). Dr. Oz mentions how not every calorie is created equal. You trechnically could eat 1200 calories worth of Big Macs all day every day, but let me know what your heart says about that in 10-15 years.Then you will be wishing you would have restricted your fats, condiments, and sugars.

Sidebar- I noticed that you mentioned people should only restrict these things for medical reasons...just keep in mind they can always cause that medical reason if not monitored.
    Eating 1200 calories of Big Macs all day and a Dr. Oz reference?? Strong first post! :tongue: :tongue:
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    How does anyone know what is the appropriate number of calories per day? I can't do the 1200 calories. I feel like I am starving!!

this helped me

++Rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me. (I swear this saved my life.) I was happier once I gave myself a range:

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: MFP Calories for lose 1 lb a week (when that hit 1200 I changed to lose 1/2 lb per week)
    TOP OF RANGE: Maintain Calories for my GOAL Weight.
    (SAFETY VALVE: Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose)

I naturally tended to do 2-4 days between 1200-1300 cal then a day at about 1500-1600 cal then back to the 1200-1300 cal. (No hard science here, but I credit the zig-zagging calories with preventing plateaus.)

--As long as I stayed under the top of my range I should continue to lose, even if it is at a slower rate.
    --As long as I don't go past my safety valve I shouldn't gain.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    1 Lots of water,
    2 all foods are ok if eaten in moderation
    3 personally eating 5 to 6 times a day reduces my food cravings.
    4 eat back most of exercise calories
    5 monitor constantly (even while in maintenance)
    6 exercise!!! within your physical limitations

That is mine in a nutshell - It works for me. and yep - I eat lunch meat and pie .

PS: the above poster is correct in that zig zagging can help at times.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    OP = Bygblu21 = Rob Sperruggia = "I am an Independent Beachbody Coach who enjoys helping and motivating people to live a fit and healthy life"... Anyone else shocked by this?
    Well that explains things.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OP = Bygblu21 = Rob Sperruggia = "I am an Independent Beachbody Coach who enjoys helping and motivating people to live a fit and healthy life"... Anyone else shocked by this?

*clutches pearls*
  • pearlmorning
    pearlmorning Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    "I'm fairly new to this forum"... yes dearie you are. First, Welcome! Second, listen. Third, quietly step down from your soapbox. We are all different, we are all motivated by ourselves and our friends (I see you don't have any), I have several wonderful friends; we are all practicing a different fitness program and winning. I am 4'11" 1200cals was perfect for me.
  • brittneygreen562
    Options
    Good lord I need this NOW lol
  • ExxxyBeast123
    Options
    wow, what a self righteous lecturing view!

Everybody is different, that is why no one diet works for everybody.

I know very little about diets etc but reducing calorie intake makes perfect sense to me. I know how many calories my body needs to maintain the weight it currently is. Therefore this tells me that if I want to lose weight, I need to intake less calories and my body will use up the fat that it is storing to get the calories that it needs.

If I eat more calories than my body needs, then it will store those additional calories as fat.

In the past 5 weeks I have followed the 5:2 diet, reducing my caloric intake to 600 two days a week and I have gone from 189 pounds to 173 pounds very easily without feeling uncomfortably hungry, without feeling the need to binge the day after, if fact it's been very easy work, but I guess I might be in a minority feeling this way.

I still go out for a curry and beers on a weekend but what I do now is think about what I eat, do i really need to eat this or that, which I never used to do before.

So, for some reducing your caloric intake will work perfectly (like for me) and coupled with a general sensible attitude to food now, I cant see why this wont work for me long term?

Also you're profile reads -

My name is Rob Sperruggia and I enjoy motivating and inspiring people to live healthier lives. it is my passion in life to make people see their true potential. I was once in a bad place myself so I can truly relate. I say the time for change is now!

Well you really do need to change the way you come across if you are seriously wanting to motivate people!!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Why even post if you're not contributing? Just curious. =) If you're bored, then why not just ignore it.
    yawn.

I think the yawn was to point out that these kinds of threads are getting old.

Personally, I feel it is important to point out when bad advice is being given. Did I do it the best way? No. But I'm getting pretty fed up with people preaching unscientific methods, when their advice was not even solicited.

I'm going to go take my snark face off now. :blushing:

I do agree about getting fed up about people preaching unscientific methods, especially when unsolicited.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

1. You do not need to "eat clean." (you can eat a variety of foods, lose weight, and meet nutritional needs)
    2. Drink the lemon water if you like the taste, but it will do nothing for weight loss.
    3. Meal timing is personal preference.
    4. You can eat lunch meat and still lose weight. (and be healthy)
    5. You do not have to limit condiments. (if it fits into your day, go for it.)
    6. You do not have to limit dairy. (unless you have a medical reason)
    7. You do not have to limit fruit. (fruit has numerous nutritional benefits)
    8. The only reason somebody should be restricting sugar is because of a medical reason. (sugar is carb, so track that.)

True....ideally, as long as you stay under your RECOMMENDED (note I emphasized this because everyone needs a different amount depending on weight, height and activity) caloric intake you should lose weight. But just staying under your calories doesn't mean you are healthy. You should be eating whole foods and you should restrict your fat intake (and make sure you are eating the right fats, avocado, nuts, olive oil etc.). Dr. Oz mentions how not every calorie is created equal. You trechnically could eat 1200 calories worth of Big Macs all day every day, but let me know what your heart says about that in 10-15 years.Then you will be wishing you would have restricted your fats, condiments, and sugars.

Sidebar- I noticed that you mentioned people should only restrict these things for medical reasons...just keep in mind they can always cause that medical reason if not monitored.

In terms of weight loss, which is what this thread is about, every calorie is created equal.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Meh.

Just came in to admire the beautiful cheese sammich.
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm also new to the forums here and all I've seen so far is either people endlessly posting 'add me I need friends' threads or threads where everyone is just arguing or debating over what people are trying to give as advice or claim as how 'it works'.

Then again, this is the internet.

Don't forget the daily links to the "_________ the person above you"!

I'm short, (5'1") and have been going with the net calorie goal and eating my exercise calories back, which usually ends up at any where from 1400 to 1800 a day, and am gaining and losing the same 5 lbs, and since the weight on my frame makes me "morbidly obese" according to BMI charts everywhere, I think I need to stick to 1200 regardless of exercise for awhile anyway. Talked to my doc yesterday who gave me the "exercise is great, don't stop, but don't count on it to lose weight...it's your diet and you need to kick start you metabolism" speech. I think maintenance for me will be about 1800 calories, being short sucks.
  • rickylou87
    rickylou87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, which is what this thread is about, every calorie is created equal.
    [/quote]

True, but don't you think it's important to take health in consideration when you are losing weight? Who cares if you are thin if you keel over from a bad heart....
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...because I love new member "knowledge" bomb threads.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

True, but don't you think it's important to take health in consideration when you are losing weight? Who cares if you are thin if you keel over from a bad heart....

You are missing the point. Those that promote not eliminating items from intake are not promoting sitting around eating Big Macs all day. Instead, they are promoting eating a wide range of foods to meet nutritional needs. (which can include a Big Mac if it fits into your day)

edited to fix quotes
    [/quote]
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You are missing the point. Those that promote not eliminating items from intake are not promoting sitting around eating Big Macs all day. Instead, they are promoting eating a wide range of foods to meet nutritional needs. (which can include a Big Mac if it fits into your day)

edited to fix quotes
    [/quote]
    Exactly. I am all about not eliminating things you renjoy. Most of my diet is VERY healthy, but I have cake or ice cream or whatever sometimes. If I still ate meat, I'd have a Big Mac sometimes, too.

My blood pressure last month at my last doctor visit was 104/60.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm.. big mac.