1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    I'm eating healthy foods when I'm hungry.. And in the past week I have had a hard time meeting my goal.

I have like 130lbs extra on my body...And I feel that eating what I'm eating now is pretty good.. And what I personally need to be able to maintain my goal of not binge eating.

My body going cannibal and eating itself is a GOOD thing. If I stop losing weight, I can evaluate my eating.. until then I think I'm good...

The food I'm eating MAKES ME FULL. I don't want to eat more than full because I've dealt with over eating my entire life and finally feel *right*
  • mikej1978
    mikej1978 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another. I for one is looking to lose 50 pounds. I am deployed and find it easiest to lose weight and restrict calories while deployed. (no tempatations like fast food, etc) I have been limiting my calorie intake to 1200 a day and burning about that much each day. Many days I have close to zero net calories. The thing is I am seeing quick results on the scale and it is keeping me motivated. When I return stateside I will up my intake to 2000 and continue working out. Also, there is no such thing is a body being in "starvation mode" Once all your fat stores are gone maybe but, I am far from that!
  • kasage2
    kasage2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am just a tad under 5'0" and when I signed up tor myfitness pal I was told 1200 ( to lose a certain number of pounds) alories according to my current weight and lifestyle. At my height I can gain weight at the drop of a hat, especially at my age., almost 42 years old...plus I have a desk job so physical activity at work is limited. I find that the 1200 calories a day works for me. I burn some off after work and on weekends horseback riding. Also remember to fulfill that calorie amount (with healthy foods, of course!) as your body could enter "starvation mode", which slows your metabolism down which could then cause you to gain more weight in the long run. Also replenish the calories you burn through exercise to keep your daily caloric intake fulfilled.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Controversy over drinking water??? Someone needs a life.

OP - welcome to MFP. I read your profile and if you are thinking this may be a good place to evangelize and spread the good word about health and end obesity, you may be sadly disappointed. But you got a nice slice of what you can expect. But nice start, you manage to piss off the 1200's, the eat whatever you want (LOVE the cool kids B&J reference), clean vs. not clean, now we are just missing the I love - I hate sugar/carbo folks.

Good luck.

My thoughts exactly.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Does coffee count as water?
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person.

I'm 1,200 to lose 1lb/week. I've always been a healthy weight and try to do something active each day. I travel a lot for work so I rely on MFP to keep me on track. Keep in mind I'm taking in MORE than 1,200 every single day (I'm burning between 300-500 calories and eating every single one back).

To lose .5/week I'm 1400 calories. To maintain my current weight it's 1600.

It really depends on the person. If you're 5'6", female and in your 30s this seems to be the formula that is right on.

Keep in mind this is really 1,200 + 500 = 1,700 total calories taken in on a lot of days. I'm way too active to *just* eat the 1,200.

Chances are if you see someone *only* taking in 1,200 that would mean they are 1. Not active at all; 2. Not logging their workouts and not eating back their exercise calories, so they are actually taking in LESS than 1200; or 3. doing that nutty thing where they work out for an hour and only log 2 calories burned. I see it a lot on here--people making up their own rules to the program and taking in less than 1,200/day while being active.
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You'd have to drink a LOT of water in a very short period of time to suffer with water intoxication. Kidneys can process up to 0.26 gallons an hour.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Water all day long eh...I drink when I am thirsty...too much water isn't good either.

Well, let's get this silly thing out of the way.

I know it's all the rage on these forums to say how there's no such thing as too much sugar, fat, and how all the "cool kids" have a pint of B&J's each night, but now water can be bad?

Just like everyone here says we don't need cleanses, since our body can handle it, we certainly don't need to worry about drinking too much water. That's why we urinate.

Show me an example where some non-ridiculous (e.g. a gallon in few minutes) amount of water was actually harmful to an individual. Note: Bear in mind that replacing water with the diet sodas everyone here seems to love would be just as "bad" for you as the pure stuff.

Drinking water is a good thing, and not some hippie conspiracy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12053855

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1770067/

"All of these cases are associated with more than 5 L (usually 10-20 L) of water intake during a period of a few hours."

Thanks for proving my point.

It's funny. When someone mentions ice cream is "bad" for you, all the choir here preach about "moderation."

When someone says water is good for you, you get those discussing drinking unreal amounts (not very moderate, eh?) could possibly be detrimental.

Oh yeah, and make sure you post those links the next time everyone mentions how "good" diet sodas are, since that amount of them would also cause "water intoxication."

Those parts in your post are silly. Then proven wrong, then you change your mind..."to moderate" from "we don't need to worry about drinking too much water..." when you do...proven even when it's over a longer period of time...
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Good one!
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    1. You do not need to "eat clean." (you can eat a variety of foods, lose weight, and meet nutritional needs)
    2. Drink the lemon water if you like the taste, but it will do nothing for weight loss.
    3. Meal timing is personal preference.
    4. You can eat lunch meat and still lose weight. (and be healthy)
    5. You do not have to limit condiments. (if it fits into your day, go for it.)
    6. You do not have to limit dairy. (unless you have a medical reason)
    7. You do not have to limit fruit. (fruit has numerous nutritional benefits)
    8. The only reason somebody should be restricting sugar is because of a medical reason. (sugar is carb, so track that.)

this
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I do. If I didn't count my coffee, I would definitely not be getting enough water (according to the standards being set here).
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Water all day long eh...I drink when I am thirsty...too much water isn't good either.

Well, let's get this silly thing out of the way.

I know it's all the rage on these forums to say how there's no such thing as too much sugar, fat, and how all the "cool kids" have a pint of B&J's each night, but now water can be bad?

Just like everyone here says we don't need cleanses, since our body can handle it, we certainly don't need to worry about drinking too much water. That's why we urinate.

Show me an example where some non-ridiculous (e.g. a gallon in few minutes) amount of water was actually harmful to an individual. Note: Bear in mind that replacing water with the diet sodas everyone here seems to love would be just as "bad" for you as the pure stuff.

Drinking water is a good thing, and not some hippie conspiracy.

I didn't say it was bad but you don't "have" to drink it all day long...get what you need and be done with it...no point in drinking it just for the sake of drinking it...I drink water everyday about 8-10cups...unless I am working out but that being said I don't always measure it...I can tell..by the urine in the toilet.

as for an example of when it's bad fine...

Yale university sites "Water intoxication mostly occurs when water is being consumed in a high quantity without giving the body the proper nutrients it needs to be healthy." "...in situations such long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet huge amounts of fluid are still consumed."

Too much of anything is not good for you period.

I think you need to catch up with the thread.

And, since "too much of anything is not good for you," why bring it up at all (unless it's just an attempt to discredit the "water is good for you" guy).

Anyway, time for the gym. Anyone that would argue against water being good for you isn't going to change their mind anyway.

:flowerforyou:
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Controversy over drinking water??? Someone needs a life.

OP - welcome to MFP. I read your profile and if you are thinking this may be a good place to evangelize and spread the good word about health and end obesity, you may be sadly disappointed. But you got a nice slice of what you can expect. But nice start, you manage to piss off the 1200's, the eat whatever you want (LOVE the cool kids B&J reference), clean vs. not clean, now we are just missing the I love - I hate sugar/carbo folks.

Good luck.

Why so angry?

ETA: Can't we all just get along? lol

OMG, you are right! I must be hangry! Afterall, it has been awhile since that one has been thrown out here. Sigh, I actually wished we did get along. But there are, generally speaking, two very distinct philosophies on this board, and as long as there are, there will be...this.
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think it is a personal decision and one that everyone has to make for themselves. All lemon water does is help alleviate water retention, but if you drink enough water to begin with, that shouldn't be a problem. As a post-menapausal woman, the changes to estrogen production and levels naturally decreases metabolism, and that's obviously something you don't need to worry about and can never understand.

I have tried to lose weight for years and have found what works for me. You have found what works for you. That doesn't mean that what works for me will work for you, and vice versa.

Who are you to judge?
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I agree with ALL you said!! 100%

For some people, 1200 calories/day IS a healthy way to lose weight. Usually, those people are shorter and only slightly overweight women who either can't exercise much due to age or a medical condition or if they do exercise, they eat back their exercise calories so that they're really netting 1200 calories/day.

As for your tips, like many others have said, limiting certain foods is good only to the extent of reaching a healthy calorie deficit and healthy macros. Limiting more than that is completely unnecessary and often unhealthy.

Also...I love carbs and I hate it when people try to convince others that carbs are "bad" and need to "limited." Carbs are GOOD and should make up a good portion of your diet.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    Yes, I also read that 1/3 of your water comes from food... or something like that.
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I used to do the 1200 calorie thing and used to do it well for a good 8 months, till I discovered that I can do SO much more with only a couple of extra hundred calories. Now on 1500-1700 and I lose weight more consistently, feel better and can actually see good results from the gym (muscles can now actually GROW, they're not starved for nutriets).

The problem with 1200 cals is that for a grown man like myself it is pretty damn tough, and it can do permanent damage to your muscles. Eventually you realize that you really don't need to be that extreme, especially as you reach those final couple of lbs of loss.

Maintain at 1800 cals, lose at 1400 cals. Workout 3 times a week for both. Works for me. But we all different.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Take it all with a grain of salt/rice/couscous. 1200 is totally fine for some people (myself). I'm short and petite, and honestly if you watch what you eat, you can eat A LOT for 1200 calories. 1200 calories subsisting off total crap like Special K and pre-packed protein bars, then yeah, 1200 calories a day is going to feel like starving!

Just let people decide this for themselves. It is not a starvation sentence especially if it is 1200 calories of nutrient-dense foods!