1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    1,200 calories is hardly "starving onesself." Some of us aren't all that hungry and it works fine. Some people eat moe.

If you're seriously struggling on 1,200 calories, eat more. If not, don't.

Unlike the OP, I only offer advice when asked and am not so presumptious to assume my experience is everyone else's experience.

Amen!
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I think that anyone who does a 1200 calorie diet needs to take into account thier activity level and size.

I tried 1200 and did not lose weight as I could not sustain it, with work outs. However just jumping to 1400 per day and eating back about 1/2 my w/o calories per week as kept the weight loss progressing. If I was not working out however, my calories needed to lose weight would be 1200 or under. I am 5'1 so my BMI without excercise would be between 11-1200.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I think saying a 1200 calorie diet is starving is a bit of a broad statement. I am only 5'1. I can not eat as much as someone who is 5'10 and lose weight. I do fine eating 1200 calories and my exercise calories.

I'm 5'2 and eat between 1700-2000 calories!!!....and I am losing weight, see ticker below!!! :bigsmile:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie diets work well for some people, and to each his/her own. But this is how I feel about them:

RkxTCYK.jpg
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    That being said, I am fairly tall and active, and I work out a great deal at high intensity levels with lots of lifting. So that's probably why I have to eat more.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie diets work well for some people, and to each his/her own. But this is how I feel about them:

RkxTCYK.jpg
    I eat quite a bit for 1,200 calories.
  • happylife2014
    happylife2014 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am currently sticking to a 1200 Calorie diet and it works for me... thanks for your insight, but perhaps your advice would be better received if you didn't seem like such a know it all :)

Exactly! Each of us does what works for us.. I would think that if we're smart enough to live life day to day in this world that if one is hungry on 1200-1300 calories a day, they would bump them up a little.. 1200-1300 is far from starving yourself.. Also, it seems to me that most everyone on here (that I've noticed) has an exercise/workout routine as well..
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    500 calories a day for weeks or months is starving yourself. 1200 calories a day for weeks or months is just fine and healthy. I get all the nutrients I need on those calories. I'm full with each meal, full of energy, and happy.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    I used to be able to eat eat that amount, but the lifting 4 days per week has made my hunger a bit out of control. I have been told this will level out soon, and I have just been upping my protein intake to deal with it. it is driving me a bit nuts at times.