1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie diets work well for some people, and to each his/her own. But this is how I feel about them:

RkxTCYK.jpg
    I eat quite a bit for 1,200 calories.

Me too! I'm pretty satisfied with my 1200 cals /day. I listen to my body. If it's not hungry, I'm not going to shove food in my face just so I can reach a certain number.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    In for the ensuing arguments.
  • ANDRE_DOE
    ANDRE_DOE Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    1. You do not need to "eat clean." (you can eat a variety of foods, lose weight, and meet nutritional needs)
    2. Drink the lemon water if you like the taste, but it will do nothing for weight loss.
    3. Meal timing is personal preference.
    4. You can eat lunch meat and still lose weight. (and be healthy)
    5. You do not have to limit condiments. (if it fits into your day, go for it.)
    6. You do not have to limit dairy. (unless you have a medical reason)
    7. You do not have to limit fruit. (fruit has numerous nutritional benefits)
    8. The only reason somebody should be restricting sugar is because of a medical reason. (sugar is carb, so track that.)

Im not going to disagree or a agree with this statement. I will say that some people are so addicted to food that these are some suggestions to help them take the first steps from liberating themselves from the chains of being slaves to food. for some it not a matter of the food it a matter of not knowing how to get started. For others its a matter of not caring about what they put in there bodies (a lot of money or no money will do that) Ive found that after years of knowing the truth and disciple that I still need to get back to the basics after years of not caring about my eating. But now im back with an understanding of not only myself but others that ive come to observe and the courage to share what I know.
  • redsheila56
    redsheila56 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you not serious about losing weight?
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I should eat around 1800cals a day to lose 1lb due to my 3hrs+ workouts a week, but after starting some new medication I have 0 appetite and feel sick after eating so my intake is around 1200-1400 a day now if that. I think if you cant make yourself eat more then not to worry too much. If I am ill or no appetite then I wouldnt force myself to eat just to make up the calories.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    9 times out of 10 when you see someone claiming that MFP has them on a 1200 calorie diet, it's because they are already close to being within the healthy weight range and incorrectly put 2 lb per week weight loss as their goal. Only someone who is overweight to the point of being obese (or close to it) can safely and consistently maintain the kind of deficit needed to see that kind of loss.
  • Islandgirl74
    Islandgirl74 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    OP...Listen, you do what works for you, and let people do what works for them. Just leave it at that.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Water all day long eh...I drink when I am thirsty...too much water isn't good either.

Well, let's get this silly thing out of the way.

I know it's all the rage on these forums to say how there's no such thing as too much sugar, fat, and how all the "cool kids" have a pint of B&J's each night, but now water can be bad?

Just like everyone here says we don't need cleanses, since our body can handle it, we certainly don't need to worry about drinking too much water. That's why we urinate.

Show me an example where some non-ridiculous (e.g. a gallon in few minutes) amount of water was actually harmful to an individual. Note: Bear in mind that replacing water with the diet sodas everyone here seems to love would be just as "bad" for you as the pure stuff.

Drinking water is a good thing, and not some hippie conspiracy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12053855

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1770067/

"All of these cases are associated with more than 5 L (usually 10-20 L) of water intake during a period of a few hours."

Thanks for proving my point.

It's funny. When someone mentions ice cream is "bad" for you, all the choir here preach about "moderation."

When someone says water is good for you, you get those discussing drinking unreal amounts (not very moderate, eh?) could possibly be detrimental.

Oh yeah, and make sure you post those links the next time everyone mentions how "good" diet sodas are, since that amount of them would also cause "water intoxication."
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree with the whole 1200 calorie diets but that being said....

"Starting every day with lemon water??? why...it can't hurt but no reason to."

Because as a cancer survivor I know that lemon provides a wonderful antioxidant that is a cancer preventative. Nothing to do with weight loss.

I am also losing a steady 1 pound a week eating between 1780 to 2100 calories a day. BUT, I work my butt off at the gym. When I was eating 1500 calories a day I starting gaining weight. My body was starving.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Water all day long eh...I drink when I am thirsty...too much water isn't good either.

I know it's all the rage on these forums to say how there's no such thing as too much sugar, fat, and how all the "cool kids" have a pint of B&J's each night, but now water can be bad?

Just like everyone here says we don't need cleanses, since our body can handle it, we certainly don't need to worry about drinking too much water. That's why we urinate.

Show me an example where some non-ridiculous (e.g. a gallon in few minutes) amount of water was actually harmful to an individual. Note: Bear in mind that replacing water with the diet sodas everyone here seems to love would be just as "bad" for you as the pure stuff.

"All of these cases are associated with more than 5 L (usually 10-20 L) of water intake during a period of a few hours."

It's funny. When someone mentions ice cream is "bad" for you, all the choir here preach about "moderation."

When someone says water is good for you, you get those discussing drinking unreal amounts (not very moderate, eh?).

Oh yeah, and make sure you post those links the next time everyone mentions how "good" diet sodas are, since that amount of them would also cause "water intoxication."
    Drinking too much water can throw off your electrolite balance. This is a scientific fact. I have gotten sick and light-headed from too much water over the course of a day.
  • LiminalAscendance
    Options

When someone says water is good for you, you get those discussing drinking unreal amounts (not very moderate, eh?).

Drinking too much water can throw off your electrolite balance. This is a scientific fact. I have gotten sick and light-headed from too much water over the course of a day.

I drink plenty of water and feel fine. My authority is just as good as yours.

Hint: Neither of us has any.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

When someone says water is good for you, you get those discussing drinking unreal amounts (not very moderate, eh?) could possibly be detrimental.

"Show me an example where some non-ridiculous (e.g. a gallon in few minutes) amount of water "

Which I did, you just moved the goalposts to fit your needs
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I drink plenty of water and feel fine. My authority is just as good as yours.

Hint: Neither of us has any.
    All that means is you haven't drunk enough at a time to throw off your electrolites. It doesn't mean you can blanketly say, "Water is harmless, Drink tons and tons of it."
  • LiminalAscendance
    Options

"Show me an example where some non-ridiculous (e.g. a gallon in few minutes) amount of water "

Which I did, you just moved the goalposts to fit your needs

Sorry, I feel the amount of water you listed (which no one recommends) is "ridiculous."

But carry on with water being "dangerous." Just don't forget that drinking the same amount of those wonderful diet drinks is just as bad.