1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    Options
    if you are over weight be more aware of what your eating and work out a rought amounts of calories your on per day and decrease it by 200 calories every 2 weeks unless still losing weight then there is no need to decrease it.
    try and get your self in a pattern 3 snacks + 3 main meals the (snacks can only be one thing)
    if you miss something you cant make up for it later and never have calorie drinks when on a diet because it is just mindless calories
    breakfast
    morning snack
    lunch
    afternoon snack
    dinner
    evening snack
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this forum and am really surprised at how many people on here are starving themselves to lose weight. Weight loss is not a sprint its a marathon. Its something that should happen over time, not within a few weeks. Weight loss is more than just limiting your caloric intake. Its a combination of eating clean and healthy ( I hate the word diet) and exercising on a daily basis. Starving yourself is not a healthy way to lose weight and by limiting your caloric intake to 1200 or so calories is doing just that. Not only is it unhealthy, but its a process that you will never stick to because its not natural and uncomfortable to do. So lets be serious and talk about how to lose weight realistically.

I would first ask yourself, "why do I want to lose weight?' Is it for appearance? Is it to be more healthy? Is it to be able to make it up that flight of steps without getting tired? Once you understand your own reasoning you can then move forward and begin your weight loss journey, because after all that's what it should be, a journey not a short trip. Once you've realized your goal and the reason for it you need to make the biggest decision of all, and that's to commit to yourself and commit to achieving your goal of losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle.

So now you've made the decision to put your health first; now what? Lets start with your eating habits. What do you eat? When do you eat it? and how often are you eating? Your body is a very complex machine but by following some simple rules about eating, you can have it running very efficiently. Follow these few simple rules and you'll see and feel the difference in your energy level.
    -Start every day with an 8oz. glass of lemon water
    -Monitor your portions- you should be eating small portion meals throughout the day rather than one, two or three large portioned meals a day
    -Drink water, all day long
    -Focus on lean proteins like chicken, turkey, salmon etc. and I don't mean processed cold-cuts...
    -Focus on eating fresh vegetables, steamed when possible
    -Limit unnecessary condiments i.e. mayonnaise, oils, salt etc.
    -Limit, but don't restrict carbohydrates. Complex carbs are needed by your body
    -Dairy is ok but in limited portions and should be kept to low fat dairy. Greek yogurt is a good choice.
    -Fresh fruit should be kept to 1 or 2 pieces a day. Its high in sugar and you should be limiting your sugar

This si just a guide to go by. Your food intake should be directly related to your physical activity. Exercise is key but that's a whole other topic....

why do I have to eat throughout the day, and what is wrong with three meals a day as opposed to 6?
    What is wrong with olive oil?

Sounds like a bunch of broscience to me..
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm with pearlmorning! Good luck on your journey!
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I just find it amusing. I'm the same way online & in real life.
    Many people have the ability to utilize different sets of behavior and ways of interaction and expectations in different environments.

But I remember playing D&D when I was a kid and there were always a few kids who couldn't play a character, they were just themselves all the time, and they'd get all butthurt about things that happened to or were said to their character.

Oh the sensitive ones.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The ONLY people that need to restrict certain foods are those that have medical conditions that require restrictions. In that case, a doctor, dietician, or nutritionist, SHOULD advise those people on what to cut out of their diet. EVERYONE else can (and I would say SHOULD) practice moderation.

Ummmm, it says what is says. If you don't agree with that statement, cool.
    Geez, I actually thought I was being pretty chill in my comments to you, so if I offended, that was not my intention. Again, best of luck.

I stick to what I said in this statement. If limiting or restricting carbs from your diet helps you lose weight, then by all means do it. That does not mean you NEED to restrict carbs to lose weight. If somebody has diabetes and their doctors says to restrict carbs, that doctor can refer them to a dietician or nutritionist to help them do so in a healthy manner.
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200 calorie diet... this was the recommendation of my Physician and Nutritionist.... What you say is about starving myself to lose weight is the farthest thing from the truth...

In fact if I eat much over 1200 calories I gain weight and am extremely stuffed... When I first started this I was eating about 1600 calories which is what MFP suggested... I just could not lose any weight and in fact was gaining weight... (yes I know... muscle weighs more than fat... but....).... so I finally broke down and went to my doctor who made this suggestion, then told me to go see a nutritionist...

I WILL TAKE MY PHYSICIAN AND NUTRITIONIST'S ADVISE OVER PEOPLE HERE!!!!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    if you are over weight be more aware of what your eating and work out a rought amounts of calories your on per day and decrease it by 200 calories every 2 weeks unless still losing weight then there is no need to decrease it.
    try and get your self in a pattern 3 snacks + 3 main meals the (snacks can only be one thing)
    if you miss something you cant make up for it later and never have calorie drinks when on a diet because it is just mindless calories
    breakfast
    morning snack
    lunch
    afternoon snack
    dinner
    evening snack

Seriously????:explode:

derp is all I can say right now.

ETA: never mind.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    is it just me or did the OP never come back ..

I sense a troll thread has been developed...
  • stargirlll
    stargirlll Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just need to lol.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I think page 4 or 5 said something about Beachbody Coach...might explain the thread and lack of another appearance.
  • rickylou87
    rickylou87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who caught his statement at the end?: "this is just a guide"...come on people, we're not on here to bash. He was just leaving his input and if it works for him, then good. nowhere in there did he say "this is the only way to lose weight." Everybody has different strategies and diet/workout plans that work for their body type, so try this method or not. it's your choice, but don't hate on him for it.

Agreed, I think we are all basically saying the same thing just nit picking certain words. It's all about what works for your body and lifestyle. If you are losing weight..AWESOME and keep up the good work. If not...change it and try something different.
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    OP has not thought this through very well...
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    New dude arrives and has all the solutions starting with lemon water and low fat dairy?
    In for the lolz.

Lowfat cheese is the saddest thing in the world.
    Give me real cheese.

Goat-cheese-burger-BR.jpg

For real!
    Amen, give me the real stuff any day. Just watch your portion and count it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who caught his statement at the end?: "this is just a guide"...come on people, we're not on here to bash. He was just leaving his input and if it works for him, then good. nowhere in there did he say "this is the only way to lose weight." Everybody has different strategies and diet/workout plans that work for their body type, so try this method or not. it's your choice, but don't hate on him for it.

Agreed, I think we are all basically saying the same thing just nit picking certain words. It's all about what works for your body and lifestyle. If you are losing weight..AWESOME and keep up the good work. If not...change it and try something different.

Yeah, we are all saying the same thing. It's just that people that are not as educated in nutrition and weight loss might take his "guide" as gospel. Hence, all the comments.
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I think page 4 or 5 said something about Beachbody Coach...might explain the thread and lack of another appearance.

ahhh yes the beachbody folks....wonders how those folks can always be so dead wrong but people give them money and/or take their advice...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

ahhh yes the beachbody folks....wonders how those folks can always be so dead wrong but people give them money and/or take their advice...
    Accoding to Nyla, who knows people so well, this doesn't happen.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The test is how the low cal dieters gain it all back 8 times out of 10. Those eating and fueling an active lifestyle will watch their peers lose and gain the same weight three times before they reach their own goal, but they'll have a lifelong habit to enjoy.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options

NFW! We do not all agree! This MFP, girls. We do not, I repeat, do not all agree on anything. Especially, that if it works, it works!

Kind of refreshing.

Edit: RML didn't agree. I knew it was too good to be true.:laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The test is how the low cal dieters gain it all back 8 times out of 10. Those eating and fueling an active lifestyle will watch their peers lose and gain the same weight three times before they reach their own goal, but they'll have a lifelong habit to enjoy.
    95% of people who lose weight gain it back.

Are only 5% of people doing what you describe?