1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• csab24
    csab24 Posts: 3
    Options
    Whoever started this post has no idea what they're talking about. I'm 5'1 and i cannot eat 1800 calories a day for example and lose weight. 1200 calories a day is good for me and i dont feel hungry. Short people can't eat as much as taller people and lose weight at the same rate. Just doesnt work. 1200 calories a day is in no world considered starving.
  • katymartino
    katymartino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Honestly I have trouble MEETING the 1200 calories, especially with my workouts.... It's difficult for me to replace the calories I burn off working out, especially since I exercise in the evening. I don't like to eat after a certain time of day, and find it difficult to do so....
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Whoever started this post has no idea what they're talking about. I'm 5'1 and i cannot eat 1800 calories a day for example and lose weight. 1200 calories a day is good for me and i dont feel hungry. Short people can't eat as much as taller people and lose weight at the same rate. Just doesnt work. 1200 calories a day is in no world considered starving.

I think MOST people feel hungry at 1200.

I am 4ft 8, very short. 1200 was hellish for me.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I know, I know, anyone who has every lost weight thinks they're suddenly an expert on the topic, and while we may mean well, and we're so very excited that it worked for us, that why wouldn't we want to share our new found expertise with the world, but well, coming off as a know it all doesn't really sit well with most people!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP that 1200 calories a day is too few for *many* but certainly not for *all*. It definitely would be too few calories for any man, but if you're a small woman and you get plenty of protein and fiber, a 1200 net calorie/day diet can be perfectly doable and healthy. What I see on here are women who weigh over 150 lbs. who eat less than 1200 net calories -- and not under a doctor's supervision, but because they want to lose weight *fast*. Now that's unhealthy!

Now for those that say they have trouble MEETING 1200 calories because you're just too full:
    a. You're not calculating your calories eaten or calories burned correctly and you're eating more than you think.
    b. You've gotten used to being hungry all the time so that's your new "normal." OR
    c. You've been starving yourself for so long that your metabolism has slowed to a crawl, so you really are satisfied eating less than 1200 net calories a day.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    lol at salmon being a lean protein :)
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i dont like th ecaloric defict approach. I think you need to eat and exercise to lose weight. If you eat too few calories you wont have the energy to exercise.

Ah you can't lose weigh unless you are in a caloric deficet.....:ohwell:

That is completely not true.

...what
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Honestly I have trouble MEETING the 1200 calories, especially with my workouts.... It's difficult for me to replace the calories I burn off working out, especially since I exercise in the evening. I don't like to eat after a certain time of day, and find it difficult to do so....
    Then congratulations! You won't ever need to be on this site and obviously won't ever have any problems with being overweight for the rest of your life.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    tumblr_msnvoyvo9v1s9qf9ro1_500.gif
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

me too, SUCH a hard time.

is there an eyeroll emoticon?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

me too, SUCH a hard time.

is there an eyeroll emoticon?

here...take mine, I'm not using it right now :laugh:
    tumblr_inline_mhh2jx9o731qz4rgp_zps29f83187.gif
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Setting aside the non-facts of the diet advice listed, am I the only one here who has a very difficult time taking seriously the propaganda of a person that is having such a difficult time with typing even the most basic of words?

I know this isn't the English department, but come on, man.

Resume your attacks, people :)

The thing about MFP is...you can share ridiculous dietary/nutrition advice...

...but if you question another member's spelling or grammar too many times, they'll lock you out of the forums.

True story.

That's asinine. I guess I'll just grind my teeth in annoyance all on my own. :-/
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My Daily meal
    Breakfast
    almond milk -60
    -1/2 of oatmeal- 150
    medium red apple-90
    large banana-110
    1tbs of all natural PB-100
    Lunch
    1/2 cup of beans-200
    1 bag and a half of mixed salad- 15-30
    plum- 30
    1 plain greek yogurt- 90

supper
    2 eggs omelette- 170
    1 large container of salad- 30
    some kind of fruit 30-150

snack
    protein shakes- 190
    2 rice cakes-80

this is around 1200 calories so exactly is it starving????
    Like I honestly can't eat over 1300 cal because I would be FORCING myself too eat. All the meals I have are very large amounts and keep me full each time. Not too forget the nutrition, I've went to the docs plenty of times showed them my diet and they said it was perfect. It all depends on the person.

Also for the person who said a clean diet is eating lean protein is honestly stupid. Definition of clean is different for everyone.
    If you feel the need to eat when you're not hungry, that is a problem since that is how people get overweight.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Setting aside the non-facts of the diet advice listed, am I the only one here who has a very difficult time taking seriously the propaganda of a person that is having such a difficult time with typing even the most basic of words?

I know this isn't the English department, but come on, man.

Resume your attacks, people :)

The thing about MFP is...you can share ridiculous dietary/nutrition advice...

...but if you question another member's spelling or grammar too many times, they'll lock you out of the forums.

True story.

That's asinine. I guess I'll just grind my teeth in annoyance all on my own. :-/

That's probably the best approach...

...but if it helps you through the inevitable dark times ahead (if you insist on reading the forums), know that there are others out there...

...others like you who are made physically ill by misspellings and poor grammar (but obviously not as much by bad sentence structure or ellipses abuse) who are grinding their teeth with you.

:flowerforyou:
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    1. You do not need to "eat clean." (you can eat a variety of foods, lose weight, and meet nutritional needs)
    2. Drink the lemon water if you like the taste, but it will do nothing for weight loss.
    3. Meal timing is personal preference.
    4. You can eat lunch meat and still lose weight. (and be healthy)
    5. You do not have to limit condiments. (if it fits into your day, go for it.)
    6. You do not have to limit dairy. (unless you have a medical reason)
    7. You do not have to limit fruit. (fruit has numerous nutritional benefits)
    8. The only reason somebody should be restricting sugar is because of a medical reason. (sugar is carb, so track that.)

thank you for this reply - saved me a job :)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    i dont like th ecaloric defict approach. I think you need to eat and exercise to lose weight. If you eat too few calories you wont have the energy to exercise.

tumblr_m6wkm7WXUW1qihztbo1_250.gif
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options

tumblr_m6wkm7WXUW1qihztbo1_250.gif

Perfect!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    1200 calories net is perfectly fine for some individuals depending on their baseline stats and activity level.

With that said, there is something inherently wrong when 9/10 women who join this site are prescribed the same 1200 net calorie plan.

Part of that is one's lack of educating themselves on the fundamentals of fat loss prior to using this site. Furthermore, most persons do not know what their actual TDEE is before restricting calories. As a side note, some do not realize that the site is designed for them to net 1200, not gross 1200.

MFP, however, does share some responsibility in this unfortunate phenomenon by not providing key information to members who set up their weekly fat loss goals. The site desperately needs to add a notation stating that a certain weekly fat loss goal is suitable depending on how much fat mass one wishes to lose. If MFP did so, we'd see far less women being told to eat 1200 net calories.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    1200 calories net is perfectly fine for some individuals depending on their baseline stats and activity level.

With that said, there is something inherently wrong when 9/10 women who join this site are prescribed the same 1200 net calorie plan. Part of that is one's lack of educating themselves on the fundamentals of fat loss prior to using this site. Additionally, some do not realize that the site is designed for them to net 1200, not gross 1200.

MFP, however, does share some responsibility in this unfortunate phenomenon by not providing key information to members who set up their weekly fat loss goals. The site desperately needs to add a notation stating that a certain weekly fat loss goal is suitable depending on how much fat mass one wishes to lose. If MFP did so, we'd see far less women being told to eat 1200 net calories.

I'm just glad that MFP doesn't have a "lose 3 pounds/week" setting.