1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• jafabuNZ
    jafabuNZ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    1. You do not need to "eat clean." (you can eat a variety of foods, lose weight, and meet nutritional needs)
    2. Drink the lemon water if you like the taste, but it will do nothing for weight loss.
    3. Meal timing is personal preference.
    4. You can eat lunch meat and still lose weight. (and be healthy)
    5. You do not have to limit condiments. (if it fits into your day, go for it.)
    6. You do not have to limit dairy. (unless you have a medical reason)
    7. You do not have to limit fruit. (fruit has numerous nutritional benefits)
    8. The only reason somebody should be restricting sugar is because of a medical reason. (sugar is carb, so track that.)
    [/quote]

LIKE :wink:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    My Daily meal
    Breakfast
    almond milk -60
    -1/2 of oatmeal- 150
    medium red apple-90
    large banana-110
    1tbs of all natural PB-100
    Lunch
    1/2 cup of beans-200
    1 bag and a half of mixed salad- 15-30
    plum- 30
    1 plain greek yogurt- 90

supper
    2 eggs omelette- 170
    1 large container of salad- 30
    some kind of fruit 30-150

snack
    protein shakes- 190
    2 rice cakes-80

this is around 1200 calories so exactly is it starving????
    Like I honestly can't eat over 1300 cal because I would be FORCING myself too eat. All the meals I have are very large amounts and keep me full each time. Not too forget the nutrition, I've went to the docs plenty of times showed them my diet and they said it was perfect. It all depends on the person.

Also for the person who said a clean diet is eating lean protein is honestly stupid. Definition of clean is different for everyone.
    If you feel the need to eat when you're not hungry, that is a problem since that is how people get overweight.
    And another one. Once again, congratulations! You won't ever need to be on this site and obviously won't ever have any problems with being overweight for the rest of your life.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    1200 calories net is perfectly fine for some individuals depending on their baseline stats and activity level.

With that said, there is something inherently wrong when 9/10 women who join this site are prescribed the same 1200 net calorie plan. Part of that is one's lack of educating themselves on the fundamentals of fat loss prior to using this site. Additionally, some do not realize that the site is designed for them to net 1200, not gross 1200.

MFP, however, does share some responsibility in this unfortunate phenomenon by not providing key information to members who set up their weekly fat loss goals. The site desperately needs to add a notation stating that a certain weekly fat loss goal is suitable depending on how much fat mass one wishes to lose. If MFP did so, we'd see far less women being told to eat 1200 net calories.

I'm just glad that MFP doesn't have a "lose 3 pounds/week" setting.
    I dunno, I bet those, "how do I net -250 calories a day without exercise, should I just chew a gallon of ice chips or what," threads would be pretty fun.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Struggling to reach 1200 calories?

Once again evidence that we aren't all here for the same reason.
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    bump
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    i dont like th ecaloric defict approach. I think you need to eat and exercise to lose weight. If you eat too few calories you wont have the energy to exercise.

Ah you can't lose weigh unless you are in a caloric deficet.....:ohwell:

That is completely not true.

Lolwat?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    1. You do not need to "eat clean." (you can eat a variety of foods, lose weight, and meet nutritional needs)
    2. Drink the lemon water if you like the taste, but it will do nothing for weight loss.
    3. Meal timing is personal preference.
    4. You can eat lunch meat and still lose weight. (and be healthy)
    5. You do not have to limit condiments. (if it fits into your day, go for it.)
    6. You do not have to limit dairy. (unless you have a medical reason)
    7. You do not have to limit fruit. (fruit has numerous nutritional benefits)
    8. The only reason somebody should be restricting sugar is because of a medical reason. (sugar is carb, so track that.)

Yup yup yup!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    i dont like th ecaloric defict approach. I think you need to eat and exercise to lose weight. If you eat too few calories you wont have the energy to exercise.

Lolwat?

That's what we said...
  • realmeryl16
    realmeryl16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 cal diet and lost about 10lbs. And I eat rice everyday with my meals.

You were saying?
  • BethAnnC448
    BethAnnC448 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Why does MFP set my calorie intake to 1200 then?
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I can't help but wonder..... If that profile picture is really you, why are you even here? You obviously don't need help losing weight.

If you bother doing your research, the recommended minimum for women is 1200 calories. Shorter women that weigh less don't need as many calories as you must.
    I am 5'3". 115lb. I maintain at 1450 before exercise.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

LOLwut?

sounds legit, where can I buy some beachbody stuff..??
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I rarely do 1200 calories, I prefer doing some exercise and being able to eat more. But that's just me.

What does bug me about the 1200 calorie target is that I get dinged with a warning for being under it if I eat a little less, or I go in the red and feel bad for going over it. Grrr.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Wait what? I fast for 40 hours every 3rd day. Total no food at all. Those are the days I have MORE energy & actually perform better. :noway:

To the OP. I lost all my 'needed' weight in 7 months eating 1200. Was not hard, was not starving & was never without.
  • chimenes1
    chimenes1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm going in....

I've been on MFP for about 18 months now and have lost 44 lbs, slowly at first, then faster and now slower again. Some days I'm an angel and eat great! Other days, its what my husband calls a "sustaining day" that may include pizza or a hamburger and a few fries . And yet I still keep slowly losing the weight.

Why? The #1 rule of dieting: Its all about the math. Whether you're mapping to 1200 calories, 1350 calories (like I am currently, since I'm closer to goal and, frankly tired of being so restricted) or whatever younger beefy "gym, tanning, laundry" boys need, as long as what you're taking in is less than you need to keep your current weight, you'll keep making progress

Drink lemon water, banish cheese, eat nothing but bacon....blah, blah, blah. Its all about choices. I personally sacrifice calories for that glass of wine after my daughter goes to bed. For others it may be a piece of chocolate. Whatever floats your boat .... its all about the math.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am 4"8 and there is NO WAY I can go over about 1300 a day. I hardly get in 1200. I either don't have the opportunity to eat that much that often, or I just can't. I get full quickly and refuse to keep eating when I am not hungry.

I really dont mean to sound condescending but how does someone who has trouble eating 1300 calories a day end up needing to lose 87 lbs?
  • Dorothyslancaster
    Dorothyslancaster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am with Paige682 on this one. I am 5'11 and have 40 lbs to lose. I am a total desk jocky and unless I force myself to make time and work out.. that 1200 calorie goal seems to work fine. When I do work out, I eat to get back those calories. To Be honest, I am not starving at all. I am just paying better attention to what I am eating. Targeting 1200 calories has been the easy way to lose weight. It isn't a "diet" I chose if I want to eat that ice cream or not. I pretty much eat what I want to.. i just watch the calories and portion control. so far so good. I have lost 8 lbs.
  • kerrieckes
    Options
    Exactly! It depends on your size to begin with. I am in a healthy weight range, and am just trying to take off 5 pounds that I gained while on leave from work. Before I started gaining weight, I ate about 1500-1700 calories a day. There were times where I probably consumed less. It's not deprivation to me, because it's not that much less than what I should be eating, according to my body size.

Now, men on the other hand - I definitely don't think 1200 calories is a healthy goal. Men are bigger, and naturally need more calories. 1,800 for a man seems more reasonable.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am with Paige682 on this one. I am 5'11 and have 40 lbs to lose. I am a total desk jocky and unless I force myself to make time and work out.. that 1200 calorie goal seems to work fine. When I do work out, I eat to get back those calories. To Be honest, I am not starving at all. I am just paying better attention to what I am eating. Targeting 1200 calories has been the easy way to lose weight. It isn't a "diet" I chose if I want to eat that ice cream or not. I pretty much eat what I want to.. i just watch the calories and portion control. so far so good. I have lost 8 lbs.
    From my view, if you're counting and eating 1200 calories that's a diet. It may not be a formal diet with rules about WHAT you eat, but there's rules about how much. That's a diet. And, there are diets for gaining weight, for dealing with PCOS for handling diabetes... All are diets.