1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    How does anyone know what is the appropriate number of calories per day? I can't do the 1200 calories. I feel like I am starving!!

this helped me

++Rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me. (I swear this saved my life.) I was happier once I gave myself a range:

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal
    TARGET: MFP Calories for lose 1 lb a week (when that hit 1200 I changed to lose 1/2 lb per week)
    TOP OF RANGE: Maintain Calories for my GOAL Weight.
    (SAFETY VALVE: Maintain Calories for CURRENT Weight - remember to keep updating this number as you lose)

I naturally tended to do 2-4 days between 1200-1300 cal then a day at about 1500-1600 cal then back to the 1200-1300 cal. (No hard science here, but I credit the zig-zagging calories with preventing plateaus.)

--As long as I stayed under the top of my range I should continue to lose, even if it is at a slower rate.
    --As long as I don't go past my safety valve I shouldn't gain.

I love the way you worded this! Perfect! I have a similar mindset when it comes to calories... I give myself "healthy cheat days" where I still eat food that is good for me, but just a little bit more of it so that my metabolism can have a little boost. I typically stay at around 1200 calories and go up to 1500 on those days.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options

>Yes lean proteins are most recommended, however loin and round cuts of beef or pork are lean too. There is lean hamburger out there, and ways to decrease fat in prep and cooking. Lunch meats are FINE to eat. Just in moderation due to sodium levels.

Why would you try to avoid eating fat? I thought we moved past that whole 90s low-fat = good mentality.

And yet lunch meats are fine?

I stopped reading there. I'm sure the rest of it was awesome though.
    That was a tough one for me too.

Avoiding the unhealthy fats in meats is why you go with lean meats. Many meats are naturally high in saturated fats so as a Dietitian we recommend to go with lean cuts, trimming fat off meat, and healthier ways of prepping and cooking it for weight loss. Lunch meats or ok to eat because they are usually higher in sodium than in fat, especially if you stick with the leaner lunch meats. Even meats from the Deli are processed like lunch meats so yes the best meat is straight from the animal and lean. If you want to have some lunch meat turkey for a sandwich once and while It will not hinder your weight loss, nor will it hurt you any.

If you are watching sodium intake then limit your lunch meats and avoid ham altogether. Regardless of what you read, or see, or hear the bottom line is your weight is a result of the balance between food (calories in) and activity (calories out). If we want to change our weight, we need to tip the balance in favor of fewer calories in and more calories out.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

>Yes lean proteins are most recommended, however loin and round cuts of beef or pork are lean too. There is lean hamburger out there, and ways to decrease fat in prep and cooking. Lunch meats are FINE to eat. Just in moderation due to sodium levels.

Why would you try to avoid eating fat? I thought we moved past that whole 90s low-fat = good mentality.

Avoiding the unhealthy fats in meats is why you go with lean meats. Many meats are naturally high in saturated fats so as a Dietitian we recommend to go with lean cuts, trimming fat off meat, and healthier ways of prepping and cooking it for weight loss. Lunch meats or ok to eat because they are usually higher in sodium than in fat, especially if you stick with the leaner lunch meats. Even meats from the Deli are processed like lunch meats so yes the best meat is straight from the animal and lean. If you want to have some lunch meat turkey for a sandwich once and while It will not hinder your weight loss, nor will it hurt you any.

If you are watching sodium intake then limit your lunch meats and avoid ham altogether. Regardless of what you read, or see, or hear the bottom line is your weight is a result of the balance between food (calories in) and activity (calories out). If we want to change our weight, we need to tip the balance in favor of fewer calories in and more calories out.

"Unhealthy fats" in meats? What is wrong with dietary saturated fats???

Oh. Wait. Is this because we're still preaching the lipid hypothesis as gospel (and correlating consumption w/ blood markers)?
    Lunch meats or ok to eat because they are usually higher in sodium than in fat, especially if you stick with the leaner lunch meats

Huh?

I first read this as it was okay because the higher sodium offset the fat, but reasoned you couldn't possible be saying that. Having re-read it a few times, I'm...still confused.

But let's not lose sight of the primary topic...which is "lean meats". Why are you opposed to eating fat/saturated fat? Have humans always had a health problem with eating fat? Do you also advise against consuming organ meats? Does the way the animal has been raised change your answers to any of these questions?
  • kgreenRDLDN
    Options

"Unhealthy fats" in meats? What is wrong with dietary saturated fats???

Oh. Wait. Is this because we're still preaching the lipid hypothesis as gospel (and correlating consumption w/ blood markers)?
    Lunch meats or ok to eat because they are usually higher in sodium than in fat, especially if you stick with the leaner lunch meats

Huh?

I first read this as it was okay because the higher sodium offset the fat, but reasoned you couldn't possible be saying that. Having re-read it a few times, I'm...still confused.

But let's not lose sight of the primary topic...which is "lean meats". Why are you opposed to eating fat/saturated fat? Have humans always had a health problem with eating fat? Do you also advise against consuming organ meats? Does the way the animal has been raised change your answers to any of these questions?

I see how that statement can be confusing. I was referring to the reasons we recommend to avoid lunch meats. Its more from the sodium than fat, so if you are going to chose a lunch meat go for a lean lunch meat, but watch your sodium intake if that is a concern.

I'm not opposed to eating fat per se. Many saturated fats are unhealthy fats and CAN lead to high cholesterol levels; more so Triglycerides than LDL and total Cholesterol. There is still research going on that is showing that the type of saturated fat plays a role like medium chain versus long chain. For weight loss decreasing fat and increasing fruits and veggies is a better way to go. We do get some natural fats in our foods, however the majority of added fats-saturated & trans fats are unhealthy and not needed in our diet. Unsaturated fats are healthy for us and help to protect again build ups of plaque. I only advise against organ meats with certain medical conditions like gout. The way animals are raised does not change my recommendations. Whether a chicken is free range or caged does not change the fact the their egg yolk will hold all the cholesterol and fats of the egg.

The key, other than lean meats, is moderation and balance. if our calories in are balanced with our calories out then you can eat all the fatty foods you want. The concern becomes on the medical side versus weight loss side at that point. but again its different for every person, if you have a strong family history of heart disease then eating lean means and low fat can help to prevent you having heart disease-its not a for certain prevention-but its a step in that direction.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am 4"8 and there is NO WAY I can go over about 1300 a day. I hardly get in 1200. I either don't have the opportunity to eat that much that often, or I just can't. I get full quickly and refuse to keep eating when I am not hungry.

I really dont mean to sound condescending but how does someone who has trouble eating 1300 calories a day end up needing to lose 87 lbs?

Because BEFORE they started needing to lose weight they were eating more. Sorry but one of the great things about eating less is the ability not to over eat anymore. How does ANYONE on here end up needing to lose even 1lb?

How do you know this is the case for her? She specifically mentioned her HEIGHT as the reason why she can't eat over 1300 kcal. Your argument would probably be true if she were further in her journey but judging by her ticker, she's just beginning. She's lost 6 lbs out of 87. So you're saying within that time frame she's gone from eating over maintenance to all of a sudden "NO WAY" being able to eat more than 1300 kcal? Damn, I wish that would happen to me :/

And hell, at least I asked politely. Did you see all the other sarcastic comments that were directed towards people who made similar statements as the one I quoted?

Why not? I know when I started it was hard for me to eat 1000kcal & this was after 20+ years of eating way way more than that. I actually had to force myself to try to eat more...could not do it without feeling sick. On some days I still cant manage it.
    really? this always surprises me. "hard" to eat more than 1000kcal? This HAS to be a joke
  • bygblu21
    bygblu21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    9 times out of 10 when you see someone claiming that MFP has them on a 1200 calorie diet, it's because they are already close to being within the healthy weight range and incorrectly put 2 lb per week weight loss as their goal. Only someone who is overweight to the point of being obese (or close to it) can safely and consistently maintain the kind of deficit needed to see that kind of loss.

I am not "claiming" that MFP put me on a 1200 calorie goal... I am stating that it did. I have a 30 pound weight loss goal and for my height and whatever factors MFP took into account, I was suggested a 1200 Calorie/day plan. I love how you just assume people are either lying or they are too stupid to enter the correct data. Well done.

This is true - it doesn't matter what 'weight loss goal' I enter, whether it be 2lbs a week or 0.5lbs a week - MFP gives me 1200 or 1250cals a day. I exercise pretty much every day and I eat back a portion of those calories and aim to hit 1200 NET a day. I don't find myself starving ever and get 3 good meals and snacks for that allowance and am losing a steady 1lb a week. When I started I had 37lbs to lose, I have lost 10.5lbs so far.

Same here! I have changed my activity level, the amount I want to lose, etc. I have 50-60 pounds to lose and MFP always sets my goal at 1200. I adjust to 1400 and eat back some of my exercise calories. It works when I am diligent!

I couldnt get through a workout on 1200.
    I drink a gallon of water a day with no problems!
    I am a suger addict so try to avoid it or I binge on sweets.
    Let's see. What did I miss?
    Oh yes! Love full fat dairy and mayo.
    Pork chops are my FAVE protein followed by steak. Love bratwurst, chicken and turkey too.
    I want to eat clean but.....
    Love my veggies and fruit whole, canned, frozen, home grown. Makes no difference to me
    Lift 3 x a week and should do cardio 2x but that rarely happens (for all the cardio vs lifting arguers :wink: )

OP - welcome to MFP. Hope you stick around to get past the drama. There are some cool people on here who offer great advice when asked (that's the key)

Thanks, its a rough crowd in here. I was trying to offer my perspective on the topic and was hammered for it. Everyone is different and has their own ideas. its up to the reader to keep an open mind and decide what works for them. Ill be around but will certainly try not to come off as a know it all, because I am certainly not that.

Thanks again!
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
    Exactly! We are not all the same size and weight and all of our bodies have different caloric needs to start. Someone who isn't very big is going to have much smaller caloric needs even before they start trying to lose. Don't compare yourself and your needs. Some people might start out eating only 1400 even before they start to try to lose or get fit because that's all they need. Don't judge based on what your body uses. Someone a foot taller and a hundred pounds heavier will obviously need a vastly different amount of calories than someone 5' 1" and 100 pounds. Instead of judging their calorie goal compared to yours, focus on your own body's needs and what is healthy for your body.
  • lainie644
    lainie644 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you know anything about the elderly, many of them have given up on life and they stop eating. So a 1200 calorie diet is a lot of food for them. This is true for a person with Anorexia Nervosa. I am both. Elderly and anorexic. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and I feel like I am eating a 2000 calorie diet. I also have a terminal illness and cannot run a marathon. My purpose of dieting is not to lose weight, but to create a new healthier lifestyle so that I will feel good in my last days here on earth.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    Options
    If you know anything about the elderly, many of them have given up on life and they stop eating. So a 1200 calorie diet is a lot of food for them. This is true for a person with Anorexia Nervosa. I am both. Elderly and anorexic. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and I feel like I am eating a 2000 calorie diet. I also have a terminal illness and cannot run a marathon. My purpose of dieting is not to lose weight, but to create a new healthier lifestyle so that I will feel good in my last days here on earth.

I am sorry to hear that. it sounds like you have not yet given up on life though. As we age we also lose our appetites as natural part of aging (though this is not true for everyone) or many have dementia or the like which causes them to forget they need to eat. When my Great grandma was getting close to her time the doctor told her eat whatever you want. if you want chocolate cake for breakfast-go for it!
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I eat on average 1200 cals per day. I am not starving myself, my body is satisfied. 3 solid meals and 2 snacks work for me. It depends on what you eat too. I get lots of protein and stay within a limit on my carbs. I focus on making each meal nutritional with veggies, a carb and protein. I also like fruit and yogurt. To say that something can't work for someone is just not true.
  • soxfan2184
    Options
    i believe a 1200 calorie diet works well for petite women
    im one of those who it has worked for.
    i was on a 1200 calorie diet for 6 months and i lost 60 pounds! so i would ssy it works!!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    No one says it cant work for someone. They say it cant work for everyone. Hope this helps.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Using a 200 pound person @ 35% body fat as an example, with generally accepted macro recommendations:

LBM = 200 * .65 = 130

Protein = 1 g/ pound of LBM -> 130g
    Fat = 0.3 g/pound of LBM -> 39g
    Carbs = .75 * Protein grams -> 97g

Total calories -> (130 + 97) * 4 + 39 * 9 = 1261 calories

Change the example to 150 pound person @ 35% body fat and you end up at 945 calories.

--

"Eat to fuel the body you want to have."
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    1. You do not need to "eat clean." (you can eat a variety of foods, lose weight, and meet nutritional needs)
    2. Drink the lemon water if you like the taste, but it will do nothing for weight loss.
    3. Meal timing is personal preference.
    4. You can eat lunch meat and still lose weight. (and be healthy)
    5. You do not have to limit condiments. (if it fits into your day, go for it.)
    6. You do not have to limit dairy. (unless you have a medical reason)
    7. You do not have to limit fruit. (fruit has numerous nutritional benefits)
    8. The only reason somebody should be restricting sugar is because of a medical reason. (sugar is carb, so track that.)

This basically sums up my whole philosophy on eating....I don't know why so many people on here insist on going to extremes.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    No one says it cant work for someone. They say it cant work for everyone. Hope this helps.

In this forum, the argument usually is stated in the opposite direction: that 1200 calories is too little for anyone. That's untrue and works to the detriment of many people.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

In this forum, the argument usually is stated in the opposite direction: that 1200 calories is too little for anyone. That's untrue and works to the detriment of many people.

I disagree with your analysis of how this is "usually" stated.
  • ViolaPlayer1987
    Options
    1100-1300 calories works for my body. It always has! If stay in that range, I drop weight. Anything higher than that and my body won't shed lbs.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Y'know, I was afraid to open this thread because I thought for sure it was 90%+ people decrying the horrors of 1200 calorie starvation. So I was pleasantly surprised to see it's more like the other way! So I guess I agree with you both. Usually, or historically, this place has treated 1200 like it's anorexia. But people seem to have loosened up.

The part that burns me is it's usually men claiming the horrors of 1200. Men who don't need to worry about it because they have the BMR that they can lose 2 lbs/week and not get near it. A lot of us have to hover around 1200 to lose 1 lb/week. Which is not a bad thing, only when people act like we're crash dieting or idiots or something for daring to risk our precious LBM instead of spending six months losing 10 lbs. 'the healthy way', i.e., their way.
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I'm following most of your "rules" or suggestions! Whew!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Y'know, I was afraid to open this thread because I thought for sure it was 90%+ people decrying the horrors of 1200 calorie starvation. So I was pleasantly surprised to see it's more like the other way! So I guess I agree with you both. Usually, or historically, this place has treated 1200 like it's anorexia. But people seem to have loosened up.

The part that burns me is it's usually men claiming the horrors of 1200. Men who don't need to worry about it because they have the BMR that they can lose 2 lbs/week and not get near it. A lot of us have to hover around 1200 to lose 1 lb/week. Which is not a bad thing, only when people act like we're crash dieting or idiots or something for daring to risk our precious LBM instead of spending six months losing 10 lbs. 'the healthy way', i.e., their way.

:flowerforyou: