1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Some of us are short petite females. Even at 1200 calories we lose less than a pound a week.

Based on the goal in your ticker, unless you told MFP more weight per week than your body weight can realistically lose (1.5 or 2 lbs for example), I would suspect that number could be higher
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Some of us are short petite females. Even at 1200 calories we lose less than a pound a week.

Based on the goal in your ticker, unless you told MFP more weight per week than your body weight can realistically lose (1.5 or 2 lbs for example), I would suspect that number could be higher

The number in my ticker is not right. I tried losing weight a year ago, lost some, then put it back on and some more. When I started again this year I couldn't reset my starting weight. I've actually lost more than is reflected there.
  • ewarren1985
    ewarren1985 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bygblu21 wrote: »
    I'm fairly new to this forum and am really surprised at how many people on here are starving themselves to lose weight. Weight loss is not a sprint its a marathon. Its something that should happen over time, not within a few weeks. Weight loss is more than just limiting your caloric intake. Its a combination of eating clean and healthy ( I hate the word diet) and exercising on a daily basis. Starving yourself is not a healthy way to lose weight and by limiting your caloric intake to 1200 or so calories is doing just that. Not only is it unhealthy, but its a process that you will never stick to because its not natural and uncomfortable to do. So lets be serious and talk about how to lose weight realistically.

I would first ask yourself, "why do I want to lose weight?' Is it for appearance? Is it to be more healthy? Is it to be able to make it up that flight of steps without getting tired? Once you understand your own reasoning you can then move forward and begin your weight loss journey, because after all that's what it should be, a journey not a short trip. Once you've realized your goal and the reason for it you need to make the biggest decision of all, and that's to commit to yourself and commit to achieving your goal of losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle.

So now you've made the decision to put your health first; now what? Lets start with your eating habits. What do you eat? When do you eat it? and how often are you eating? Your body is a very complex machine but by following some simple rules about eating, you can have it running very efficiently. Follow these few simple rules and you'll see and feel the difference in your energy level.
    -Start every day with an 8oz. glass of lemon water
    -Monitor your portions- you should be eating small portion meals throughout the day rather than one, two or three large portioned meals a day
    -Drink water, all day long
    -Focus on lean proteins like chicken, turkey, salmon etc. and I don't mean processed cold-cuts...
    -Focus on eating fresh vegetables, steamed when possible
    -Limit unnecessary condiments i.e. mayonnaise, oils, salt etc.
    -Limit, but don't restrict carbohydrates. Complex carbs are needed by your body
    -Dairy is ok but in limited portions and should be kept to low fat dairy. Greek yogurt is a good choice.
    -Fresh fruit should be kept to 1 or 2 pieces a day. Its high in sugar and you should be limiting your sugar

This si just a guide to go by. Your food intake should be directly related to your physical activity. Exercise is key but that's a whole other topic....

So... Funny thing that I found this today while utilizing MFP to log my progress on my weight loss journey!

I am currently under the care of weight loss doctor - a qualified medical professional - and was specifically instructed to limit my daily caloric intake to 1200 calories, as that is the medically recognized amount of calories needed for most women's weight loss (it is 1500 calories for men). I was also given the following instructions:

1. Eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner
    2. Limit your daily calories (women 1200 men 1500)
    3. Try to avoid excessive snacking between meals
    4. Allow yourself to experience hunger between meals and small snacks. Feeling hungry during weight loss and everyday life/schedules is normal and healthy.
    5. Limit carbohydrates to breakfast. The reason for this is that your body can easily burn the carbs off during the course of the day AND most of the reason that women retain "water weight" is because the carbohydrates stored in their bodies act like sponges and soak it all up.
    6. If you need to snack, choose wisely (fruits, low fat yogurts, hard-boiled egg, small salad with dressing on the side)
    7. Dinner should be your lightest meal of the day and breakfast your largest, but do what works for you
    8. Find something other than food to soothe yourself
    9. Make sure that meals are eaten at the table - not in front of the tv, in the bedroom, etc.
    10. Use a Lean Cuisine for a meal if you are in a rush or too tired to cook

On top of that, I was given the advice that studies have shown that people who consume 25 grams of fiber on a daily basis, lose weight. You get 25 grams of fiber by consuming between 5 & 10 servings of fruits and vegetables throughout the day. Therefore, if you get hungry between meals, have a serving of fruit (banana, orange, handful of grapes, bing cherries, sliced apples, etc.)

Last tip he gave me: Learn to eat slowly so your body has time to catch up with your brain about when you are actually full/satisfied as opposed to "stuffed."

All in all, I'm FAR from being an expert on the subject (obviously evident by the fact that I went to a qualified medical professional that IS an expert on the subject), but I feel pretty confident in listening to what was conveyed to me above by my doctor.

In summary, what he tells hundreds of people everyday that leads to successful weight loss that doesn't come back completely contradicts the nonsense you listed! Also, I really feel that some of those choices and options differ depending on the person and their circumstances. At the end of the day, it's whatever works for you and keeps you strong enough to get where you want to be and stay there!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If you were five three, female with a busted thyroid, and 46 years old, you would eat 1200 just like I do and you would lose a pound every 3 weeks on it just like I do. Not everyone is young, healthy, and/or male.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this forum and am really surprised at how many people on here are starving themselves to lose weight. Weight loss is not a sprint its a marathon. Its something that should happen over time, not within a few weeks. Weight loss is more than just limiting your caloric intake. Its a combination of eating clean and healthy ( I hate the word diet) and exercising on a daily basis. Starving yourself is not a healthy way to lose weight and by limiting your caloric intake to 1200 or so calories is doing just that. Not only is it unhealthy, but its a process that you will never stick to because its not natural and uncomfortable to do. So lets be serious and talk about how to lose weight realistically.

I would first ask yourself, "why do I want to lose weight?' Is it for appearance? Is it to be more healthy? Is it to be able to make it up that flight of steps without getting tired? Once you understand your own reasoning you can then move forward and begin your weight loss journey, because after all that's what it should be, a journey not a short trip. Once you've realized your goal and the reason for it you need to make the biggest decision of all, and that's to commit to yourself and commit to achieving your goal of losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle.

So now you've made the decision to put your health first; now what? Lets start with your eating habits. What do you eat? When do you eat it? and how often are you eating? Your body is a very complex machine but by following some simple rules about eating, you can have it running very efficiently. Follow these few simple rules and you'll see and feel the difference in your energy level.
    -Monitor your portions- you should be eating small portion meals throughout the day rather than one, two or three large portioned meals a day
    -Focus on lean proteins like chicken, turkey, salmon etc. and I don't mean processed cold-cuts...
    -Dairy is ok but in limited portions and should be kept to low fat dairy. Greek yogurt is a good choice.
    -Fresh fruit should be kept to 1 or 2 pieces a day. Its high in sugar and you should be limiting your sugar

This si just a guide to go by. Your food intake should be directly related to your physical activity. Exercise is key but that's a whole other topic....

So... Funny thing that I found this today while utilizing MFP to log my progress on my weight loss journey!

I am currently under the care of weight loss doctor - a qualified medical professional - and was specifically instructed to limit my daily caloric intake to 1200 calories, as that is the medically recognized amount of calories needed for most women's weight loss (it is 1500 calories for men). I was also given the following instructions:

4. Allow yourself to experience hunger between meals and small snacks. Feeling hungry during weight loss and everyday life/schedules is normal and healthy.
    5. Limit carbohydrates to breakfast. The reason for this is that your body can easily burn the carbs off during the course of the day AND most of the reason that women retain "water weight" is because the carbohydrates stored in their bodies act like sponges and soak it all up.
    6. If you need to snack, choose wisely (fruits, low fat yogurts, hard-boiled egg, small salad with dressing on the side)
    7. Dinner should be your lightest meal of the day and breakfast your largest, but do what works for you
    9. Make sure that meals are eaten at the table - not in front of the tv, in the bedroom, etc.

On top of that, I was given the advice that studies have shown that people who consume 25 grams of fiber on a daily basis, lose weight. You get 25 grams of fiber by consuming between 5 & 10 servings of fruits and vegetables throughout the day. Therefore, if you get hungry between meals, have a serving of fruit (banana, orange, handful of grapes, bing cherries, sliced apples, etc.)

Last tip he gave me: Learn to eat slowly so your body has time to catch up with your brain about when you are actually full/satisfied as opposed to "stuffed."

All in all, I'm FAR from being an expert on the subject (obviously evident by the fact that I went to a qualified medical professional that IS an expert on the subject), but I feel pretty confident in listening to what was conveyed to me above by my doctor.

In summary, what he tells hundreds of people everyday that leads to successful weight loss that doesn't come back completely contradicts the nonsense you listed! Also, I really feel that some of those choices and options differ depending on the person and their circumstances. At the end of the day, it's whatever works for you and keeps you strong enough to get where you want to be and stay there!

your doctor is I-N-S-A-N-E!!! I'm eating 1674 calories and I'm losing!!!!!

And no, your doctor IS NOT an expert on the subject. FIND A NEW DOCTOR!!!!!

^^^This, and
    limit my daily caloric intake to 1200 calories as that is the medically recognized amount of calories needed for most women's weight loss (it is 1500 calories for men).

chuckle-GIF.gif
  • Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I like the part where everything is totally made up.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Man, I missed this thread. Stupid gifs, lots of ANGRY, ADAMANT CAPS... and now...

caps with H-Y-P-H-E-N-S!!!!!1!

OMG, someone's doctor told them 1200 was safe?!?! The nerve!! The moron!! Get a rope! He doesn't know what *I* know! Let me save you, you who knows not that he needs saved! Do I have evidence that 1200 isn't safe? Well, no... but I have CAPS and CONVICTION!

:D

• RGv2
    Options
    Man, I missed this thread. Stupid gifs, lots of ANGRY, ADAMANT CAPS... and now...

caps with H-Y-P-H-E-N-S!!!!!1!

OMG, someone's doctor told them 1200 was safe?!?! The nerve!! The moron!! Get a rope! He doesn't know what *I* know! Let me save you, you who knows not that he needs saved! Do I have evidence that 1200 isn't safe? Well, no... but I have CAPS and CONVICTION!

:D

Um.....that's not what was said. Big difference between 1200 is safe and 1200 is the medically recognized amount needed for most women's weight loss. Needed and Most being the operatives in that statement.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No one says it cant work for someone. They say it cant work for everyone. Hope this helps.

In this forum, the argument usually is stated in the opposite direction: that 1200 calories is too little for anyone. That's untrue and works to the detriment of many people.

I disagree with your analysis of how this is "usually" stated.

Y'know, I was afraid to open this thread because I thought for sure it was 90%+ people decrying the horrors of 1200 calorie starvation. So I was pleasantly surprised to see it's more like the other way! So I guess I agree with you both. Usually, or historically, this place has treated 1200 like it's anorexia. But people seem to have loosened up.

The part that burns me is it's usually men claiming the horrors of 1200. Men who don't need to worry about it because they have the BMR that they can lose 2 lbs/week and not get near it. A lot of us have to hover around 1200 to lose 1 lb/week. Which is not a bad thing, only when people act like we're crash dieting or idiots or something for daring to risk our precious LBM instead of spending six months losing 10 lbs. 'the healthy way', i.e., their way.
    Yup.

For some, 1200 is much too low. For others, 1200 means losing .5 - 1 pound a week.

Telling someone who loses a pound or less a week that they need to add 25% more calories is silly.

Everyone is different.

There is no One, True Way for everyone.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Another really good way to lose weight is to come here and preach. Folks will take bites out of your backside.

hehehe
  • starchild3
    starchild3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am happy to only eat 1200 calories some days! I am not a breakfast eater and by the time I get the calories in I need I am not hungry. There are other days I am ravenous and eat more (depends on my exercise). I don't think it's a set rule everyone is different! I am not going to make myself eat more if I am not hungry that to ME is silly.
  • RGv2
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    No one says it cant work for someone. They say it cant work for everyone. Hope this helps.

In this forum, the argument usually is stated in the opposite direction: that 1200 calories is too little for anyone. That's untrue and works to the detriment of many people.

I disagree with your analysis of how this is "usually" stated.

Y'know, I was afraid to open this thread because I thought for sure it was 90%+ people decrying the horrors of 1200 calorie starvation. So I was pleasantly surprised to see it's more like the other way! So I guess I agree with you both. Usually, or historically, this place has treated 1200 like it's anorexia. But people seem to have loosened up.

The part that burns me is it's usually men claiming the horrors of 1200. Men who don't need to worry about it because they have the BMR that they can lose 2 lbs/week and not get near it. A lot of us have to hover around 1200 to lose 1 lb/week. Which is not a bad thing, only when people act like we're crash dieting or idiots or something for daring to risk our precious LBM instead of spending six months losing 10 lbs. 'the healthy way', i.e., their way.
    Yup.

For some, 1200 is much too low. For others, 1200 means losing .5 - 1 pound a week.

Telling someone who loses a pound or less a week that they need to add 25% more calories is silly.

Everyone is different.

There is no One, True Way for everyone.

And the "1200 is too low" normally starts is when it's a 19 yr old (who's usally 16 or 17 IRL) who is already a healthy weight.....or is really close....and is trying to lose the last few vanity lbs (but can't), is trying to do 1200 cals on 2hrs of cardio and not eating back a morsel of exercise cals.
  • crystalstinson7
    crystalstinson7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I struggle with an eating disorder and sometimes 1200 is a hard number for me to hit. Sometimes it's not!! I hate when "friends" give me grief for not eating more than 1200 calories. They say, "You'll lose weight if you eat more." No, I won't because I jacked my metabolism up from years of barely getting 600-800 calories a day! It takes time to recover from that. Not just physically, but mentally as well. And for someone in a situation similar to mine, 1200 calories can make you feel very full! I just hate when people think it's black and white, one size fits all. Pfft. I do me and you do you. :)
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Everyone is not the same. For me, low-calorie is sustainable because I enjoy healthy foods and know how to eat a lot of vegetables and fruits to get all my nutrients and control hunger. On a typical day I eat about 1200 cals a day of actual food and spend the rest of my budget on chocolate and alcohol in the evenings. I don't see why it's not sustainable. It will never be the case that I "don't have time" to eat right. I shop and cook even under times of stress, and it takes no more time to make a stirfry or salad than a burger.

What's not sustainable for me is exercise. I generally don't enjoy it and don't always have time for it. For me it is stupid to eat more if I just have to burn it off. I'd rather not eat in the first place.

My goal is weight loss, not body recomposition. I have plenty of muscle and don't really care how I look in a bathing suit. I just want to be thinner. Therefore, diet is all that matters.

Also, numbers that sound impossibly low for a 6'2" athletic man are perfectly reasonable for a 5'0" woman with a desk job. 1200 is not a magic number.
  • RGv2
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    Everyone is not the same. For me, low-calorie is sustainable because I enjoy healthy foods and know how to eat a lot of vegetables and fruits to get all my nutrients and control hunger. On a typical day I eat about 1200 cals a day of actual food and spend the rest of my budget on chocolate and alcohol in the evenings. I don't see why it's not sustainable. It will never be the case that I "don't have time" to eat right. I shop and cook even under times of stress, and it takes no more time to make a stirfry or salad than a burger.

What's not sustainable for me is exercise. I generally don't enjoy it and don't always have time for it. For me it is stupid to eat more if I just have to burn it off. I'd rather not eat in the first place.

My goal is weight loss, not body recomposition. I have plenty of muscle and don't really care how I look in a bathing suit. I just want to be thinner. Therefore, diet is all that matters.

Also, numbers that sound impossibly low for a 6'2" athletic man are perfectly reasonable for a 5'0" woman with a desk job. 1200 is not a magic number.

You're also a 45yr woman who I'm now guessing is 5ft. Few to no one would come in here and tell you 1200 is too low, if that is disclosed right away.
  • Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have days where I eat 1000. I also have days where I eat 2500. As long as it balances out at the end of the week, I'm doing just fine. People have a very skewed idea of what 'starving' is.
  • Evelyn_IRV
    Evelyn_IRV Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Is it that time again already? Time for the you're-wrong-to-eat-1200-calories-a-day lecture? Sometimes MFP feels like Groundhog's Day and I'm Bill Murray.

hahaha, this one was the best!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Her doctor gave her information for her, not for you.

You should follow the advice the doctor gives you and she should follow the advice the doctor gives her. Different people get different advice.
  • RGv2
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Her doctor gave her information for her, not for you.

You should follow the advice the doctor gives you and she should follow the advice the doctor gives her. Different people get different advice.
    1200 calories, as that is the medically recognized amount of calories needed for most women's weight loss (it is 1500 calories for men).

You saw that the above quote was bolded, so that is what the poster was calling insane (and quite honestly is)....right?