Build muscle in a calorie deficit

Options

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Nothing significant. That said, since you have to eat at a surplus to realize the kinds of gains you really want, take the time now to cut to your goal bodyfat % before lifting. Otherwise after you gain all the fat that comes with a bulk, you'll have twice the work to do when cutting.

Continue to lift heavy to maintain what you have, and consider any size gains to be a bonus. Muscle glycogen storage (chemical energy) and water retention also makes them look bigger, without having actually built any new muscle tissue. This is what creatine does, fyi. And what creatine giveth, creatine taketh away.
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    So if your wanting to lose weight and get more defined muscle you can lift and eat at a deficit. but once you have lost enough weight, then you can up to a small surplus to build that muscle and not lose anymore????
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    So if your wanting to lose weight and get more defined muscle you can lift and eat at a deficit. but once you have lost enough weight, then you can up to a small surplus to build that muscle and not lose anymore????
    Yes. And the smaller your surplus, the more your gains will be muscle. They will be slower tho.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Yes. And the smaller your surplus, the more your gains will be muscle. They will be slower tho.

Yeah for example, when I started I weighed 160lbs with *around* 20% bodyfat. Then I continued to lift weight to maintain the muscle, and lost weight down to 142 at 15% bodyfat.

At that point, I changed my diet to include roughly +500 calories above maintenance, continued lifting heavy, and gained about 12 lbs, 6 of which were muscle and 6 of which were fat. Now I am cutting down again to 142... but this time I will be at 10% bodyfat.

The result is that my muscles grew in size, and at the lower bodyfat %, they will be more visible (toned / defined).

To illustrate the point, if I had to eat 500+ calories for 16 weeks to gain 6 lbs of muscle, how much muscle do you really think you are going to put on if you were eating -500 calories.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Most research and the experience of people much more experienced than I indicate that (absent chemical enhancement) under completely optimal conditions, eating at a large surplus and lifting regularly following a solid program, that adding about 2 lbs of muscle a month is about the most that anyone can hope for.

So, if under optimal conditions you are limited to 2 lbs a month of muscle, how much do you think you can add under suboptimal conditions?

Adding muscle is _hard_.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Most research and the experience of people much more experienced than I indicate that (absent chemical enhancement) under completely optimal conditions, eating at a large surplus and lifting regularly following a solid program, that adding about 2 lbs of muscle a month is about the most that anyone can hope for.

So, if under optimal conditions you are limited to 2 lbs a month of muscle, how much do you think you can add under suboptimal conditions?

Adding muscle is _hard_.

I'd be thrilled with a pound a month, provided I can wear the same pants and not need special ones for bulking.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yeah for example, when I started I weighed 160lbs with *around* 20% bodyfat. Then I continued to lift weight to maintain the muscle, and lost weight down to 142 at 15% bodyfat.

Woah. You didn't "maintain" anything, that's a loss of about 8 pounds of LBM, or nearly half of the total lost weight.
  • FrnkLft
    Options

Woah. You didn't "maintain" anything, that's a loss of about 8 pounds of LBM, or nearly half of the total lost weight.

I said *around*... my bf% was higher when I started. I didn't bother with the math for that figure, but I guess it was closer to 24%.

Here's my full explanation of at least the bulking cycle:

"Real Numbers on Muscle Gain (muscle to fat ratio) READ"
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1099747-real-numbers-on-muscle-gain-muscle-to-fat-ratio-read
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    In a non-athletic individual, it's possible to gain noticeable muscle quickly (even in a caloric deficit).
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Was going to reply, nevermind.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    In a non-athletic individual, it's possible to gain noticeable muscle quickly (even in a caloric deficit).

I can even attest to this, as it happened with me, but it's miniscule, and I'm not even sure it wasn't just my current muscle showing through as the fat came off. Be smart...

You noticed it, that's all that matters. :)

How much muscle in pounds is irrelevant to how you feel when you look in the mirror and see those peaks and feathers.
  • FrnkLft
    Options

I can even attest to this, as it happened with me, but it's miniscule, and I'm not even sure it wasn't just my current muscle showing through as the fat came off. Be smart...

You noticed it, that's all that matters. :)

How much muscle in pounds is irrelevant to how you feel when you look in the mirror and see those peaks and feathers.

Lol, I changed my post to say nothing. The truth of the matter is, at the same time, I was loosing fat around the muscles, which will make them more noticable without any growth at all, and I did have muscle there.

Read the other posts, the results are miniscule if any. Just do your cut, then do a proper bulk. By the time you get there you won't care and you'll have seen some results in size and strength.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    it's possible in 4 different scenarios. And note I said possible. Even with these 4, it's more likely you're not gaining anything.

1) You're really fat

2) You're completely untrained

3) You used to be really muscular, lost it, and are trying to regain it

4) On roids.

As you can see, the above are all temporary situations that will eventually result in plateau. Once that happens, the only way you're gaining lean mass is eating above your tdee with a proper resistance training template.
    this
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I said *around*... my bf% was higher when I started. I didn't bother with the math for that figure, but I guess it was closer to 24%.

Even if it was all the way up at 24%, you still lost lean mass. And the difference between "around 20%" and "around 25%" is huge, especially visually, it would be quite difficult to confuse the two.
  • LaColombicana
    LaColombicana Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Thats what I guessed, too. I'm cutting, but I want to get strong and maintain whatever muscle I do have. After cutting, I can focus on bulking if I want to....thanks for the clarification!

BUMP BUMP
  • MUZZAMMIL10
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

Guys I used scooby's theory that u can build muscle and lose fat at the same time.
    Yea I know muscle gain will be slow but it is possible!
  • FrnkLft
    Options

Even if it was all the way up at 24%, you still lost lean mass. And the difference between "around 20%" and "around 25%" is huge, especially visually, it would be quite difficult to confuse the two.

Here's the math genius:

Start:
    LBM: 121
    TTL M: 160

1 - (121/160) = 24.4%

End:
    LBM: 121
    TTL M: 142

1 - (121/142) = 14.8%

I wasn't tested at 160 lbs, only at 142 after I dropped the weight. I might have had a bit more LBM at the start, but all the legitimate literature I've read indicates that lifting heavy during a deficit maintains muscle, and for exactly the same reasons that lifting heavy during a surplus builds it.

Here is one article in particular, from a bodybuilder, who has a PhD in the field: http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html

A quote:
    "As a general rule of thumb, losing 1 lb of bodyweight per week will allow one to retain most of their muscle mass. One can probably lose up to 1.5 lbs per week and retain most, if not all of their muscle mass (provided their training and nutrition are optimized)."

And before you chime in, my training was sufficient, and my diet was too. If I lost anything, it was negligible, and you're just being a pain in the *kitten*.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

Guys I used scooby's theory that u can build muscle and lose fat at the same time.
    Yea I know muscle gain will be slow but it is possible!
    But you've apparently gained lots of muscle very quickly. There's contradiction in your statements. So which is it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I think what's really missing from this is how we aren't necessarily after "muscle gain" in the sense that we want total lean mass to be higher. I mean, yeah, we do. But probably, or at least in many cases because it will give you a more desirable appearance. Of course it's enhanced by fat loss but that's not the only thing going on.

Or at least, that's confused with "your deltoids, lats, forearms, traps, biceps, and triceps will be bigger". Because even if you lose some total muscle, those might grow. So you take a measurement, and say "I gained muscle". It's true. And, not true. You lost a bunch "somewhere" from the cut. But that doesn't mean the muscles you never used in your life before didn't grow.
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump....lots of useful info