Losing Slow vs Losing Fast

Options
I have been doing this for about a year and three months. I have been pretty happy with my weight loss of 62 lbs. I've gone from a size 20/22 to a size 12.

My ultimate goal isn's to be skinny... it's to be fit.

But lately, I feel that I am constantly getting the "you're losing slowly, you need to speed up your loss to 2lbs a week or so" and then I see success stories of people dropping 100lbs in a year at my age and height!

Does anyone else feel the same pressure to speed it up?

Replies

• JenLikes2Rock
    Options
    That's ridiculous. What's the hurry. If you're happy, screw 'em. I think slow and steady wins.

^ This. This is REAL LIFE. Not a contest or competition. If you go at a pace that works best for you (which it sounds like you are) you're more likely to maintain the lifestyle. Keep up the good work you're doing!
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    However you are most comfortable is what is best! Don't let a bigger number for someone else downplay what you've accomplished! Congrats to you for losing those 62lbs!!! If anything, it can be said that you are probably very set in a new lifestyle that is sustainable, that can't be said for some people who loose the weight really fast.

So yes, slow and steady is great!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If you were to lose all your excess weight in 2 years, and it seems to be what you'll achieve at this rate, I'd say that's pretty fast weight loss as well.

Comparison is the thief of happiness.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous. What's the hurry. If you're happy, screw 'em. I think slow and steady wins.

I agree with them ^.....If you're doing this healthy and you're happy I say Ignore anything that's not praise. Very easy to lose too fast, and re-gain the weight. Keep going
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    For me losing slowly mean creating habits that will build a healthy life and maintaining the weight lose for the first time in forever. In the first 6 months I lost 70 lbs. Nine months later I have 42 but while the scale is not moving as fast my body is changing more. I have become really focused on hitting my protein numbers every day which means I am losing more fat vs muscle. That means more inches coming off than when its was muscle and fat being lost. So I am happy with my progress.
  • sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That's a solid pound a week! You should be proud!

I've been at this about as long as you and sometimes I feel like the slowest loser who has every lost. Then I remember that at least I'm losing! So what if it takes me two or three years? I'm still living and enjoying my life while making a healthier lifestyle, it's win/win.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I started here 14 months ago with 75 lbs to lose. I thought I was being realistic to expect to lose it within a year. Heck, I wanted it gone in 3 months, but I knew that wasn't going to happen. Well, that year went by and I am not at goal. BUT, I feel fantastic after losing 50 pounds. I still have 25 more to go, and sometimes I start getting antsy and just want to get it off quickly like other people seem to be, but I know that I have made permanent life style changes, and I am not gong to put this weight back on. My body and mind are adjusting to the changes as I lose the weight, both physical and mental changes.

At 50 yrs old, I know how quickly times flies by. It will probably take me another year to reach my goal weight, but that is ok. The year will go by quickly, and I can either be 25 lbs lighter, or be at the weight I am now. My choice. Either one is a win when compared to my life a year ago.
    Besides, I have bought a lot of skinnier clothes over the past few months and I want to get my money's worth out of them!
  • mlerand62
    mlerand62 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing wonderful. I have seen way to many people lose "fast and furious" and I don't know if even one of them has kept it off. You are making changes that you can live with forever.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for about a year and three months. I have been pretty happy with my weight loss of 62 lbs. I've gone from a size 20/22 to a size 12.

My ultimate goal isn's to be skinny... it's to be fit.

But lately, I feel that I am constantly getting the "you're losing slowly, you need to speed up your loss to 2lbs a week or so" and then I see success stories of people dropping 100lbs in a year at my age and height!

Does anyone else feel the same pressure to speed it up?

Who are these people that say "you're losing slowly, you need to speed up your loss to 2lbs a week or so?" and why is what they think important to you?

Of course, there's always someone who loses faster than you (for a variety of reasons), but since your goal isn't to be "skinny" (not so sure what you mean by that), that shouldn't be a big concern, right?
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You have exactly the right mindset already, don't let others try to change it!

Losing slowly and steadily, working on locking in lifestyle changes that will last for many years, is clearly the long-term winner for most people. Besides, the 2lb/week average is a target that is great for obese people during the first part of their weight loss. It's not generally sustainable nor healthy. 1lb/week (or even .5!) is more the norm.
  • KayLasMack
    KayLasMack Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The goal is to lose the weight and keep it off. From past experience, losing weight too quickly sabotages any chance of maintaining a permanent lifestyle change. You're doing great!:bigsmile:
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Comparison is the thief of happiness.

Wow, that is really true eh.

And honestly it doesn't usually bother me that much, because in my mind, I know it is what is right for me. Sometimes I guess I just want to vocalize my thoughts and not feel alone in this whole thing.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Also, the closer you get to the right weight for your body, the slower you will lose. Someone who is morbidly obese will lose faster than someone who is within 15 lbs of their ideal weight (all other things being equal). So slowing down is normal and not a sign of failure or anything like that.

Kudos to you for getting this far, and remember, the tortoise won the race!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Honestly, most people will agree through experience and statistics, that slow weight loss is more sustainable. The problem is that it is really HARD for most people. It's hard to resist the temptation to lose more weight faster. It's hard to find a balance in your diet that you can maintain for a long time. Slow and steady is the most difficult way to lose weight and you are doing it. Keep doing what you are doing!! Congrats on your success so far!
  • Chrisbrunt68
    Chrisbrunt68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady is the best way to go.. however in my case it never seems to go that way.. I always want to get t here quick.. and when I don't lose the pounds I'd like to in a certain time I get discouraged and then give up.. I've been on the yoyo diet for years and years.. I wish I could have the courage to wait it out.. maybe then I would be like a lot of you with great weight losses instead of having gained back everything I had worked hard for and having to start over again and again. Right now I'm also following another program which has supplements.. not meal replacements which is good cause I still have to make my own food and think about what I'm taking in. I think it's great to see that you lost 62lbs in a year.. it's encouraging to see that it doesn't have to be gone in a few short months...it's a lifestyle so keep it up and whatever has to come off will continue coming off in due time.. As for me I hope..
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 100 or so pounds very quickly, like 7 months quick. Now I have slowed down to an average 1 lb - 1.5lb a week loss, I'm in this for the long haul and will never go back to the way I was. I didn't plan on loosing that fast at first, it just happened.. now that I have slowed down i'm ok with it, the hard part is "over" i'm used to my new way of life now. Getting up at 5:30 during the week to squeeze in the workouts and eating better has made me FEEL amazing; after all that's what its all about .. how we FEEL.. not what a silly scale says week after week.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think you need to go at your own pace I have been at this for 7 years. The first two years I lost from 186 to 155-165 I hung out there for a few years and then was like hey you need to lose more now I am 144ish. I think for some people not all losing too fast they may gain it all back if they are not committed to the lifestyle change. I am happy with my slow progress.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    It's all about how you feel.

It's been 15 months for me. The first couple months I dropped almost 30 lbs and I've been basically crawling ever since. Quite frankly I am completely happy where I am now weight wise. Of course I would love to lose more but honestly I am more concerned with developing healthy eating habits and the longer you stay at one weight the easier it is to start getting those good habits. When you lose a ton of weight super fast you have really no idea what to do about it so invariably you tend to go back to old habits.. Going slower helps me to form new habits to make sure that I will never be where I was again - I'm good with that.
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose (over100 lbs), but rather than go aggressive and set MFP to 2lbs a week, I only set it to 1lb/week. It's really hard to go from eating 3000 (or more) calories a day down to 1700 or 1500 or whatever. Let me wrap my mind around what 2000 calories feels like, what exercise feels like, before going aggressive and cutting things down so drastically. I would rather see a slow and steady and maintainable decline rather than go aggressive and burn out.