I want to quit smoking but afraid of weight gain rumors

Options
I really want to quit smoking a.) because its gross and b.) I want to add a smoke free lifestyle to my new plan to get fit. I feel its counter productive to get healthy while I'm still doing unhealthy things like smoking cigarettes.

But I've heard horror stories of people gaining weight after they quit. I tossed my pack and I'm done with them because they just make me feel sluggish and gross but the nicotine withdrawal is freaking me out and I've noticed I crave things randomly when I'm not hungry now. I've seen friends quit and pack on 20 pounds and I know weight gain is a side effect of quitting. Obviously the benefits out weigh the cost but I was wondering if anyone who's experienced this or knows anything about this could give me advice? What did you do to keep from gaining the weight back after you quit? Any tips on how to sustain from the urge to pick it back up again? I don't want to chew gum or use the nicotine patch, I don't really have the money for it as I'm struggling financially as it is after getting laid off (another reason I'm quitting, its expensive and I can't afford it anymore)

Please be nice if you reply, I already feel stupid for asking such a thing but I just wondered if anyone had any similar experiences.

Thanks in advance <3

Replies

• Xtrobelights
    Xtrobelights Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you exercise regularly (cardio and weights) then you shouldn't gain a ton of weight. Emphasize cardio while doing weights for strength, not mass. As for the urges, I don't know since I've never been a smoker but you could always go for a run or lift some weights every time you get an urge. You'll be in shape and NOT gaining weight before you know it if you do it that way!

PS although I've never been a smoker a few of my friends have. Two of them quit and did put weight on, but as soon as they started exercising 4-6 days a week it came off. I think it'd be better to not wait until you've gained and start exercising right away.

Edit: I think your weight gain has to do with how long and how much you smoked. Also natural body type, genetics, how active you were before you quit ect...

Good luck!
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I've never personally been a smoker, but I have had relatives who have been (and quit). With weight gain, it seems to be that people replace smoking with eating so as to have something to do with their mouths. So that's why gum, even of the regular non-nicotine variety, can help. But if you don't want to go down that road, maybe focus on trying to eat your meals more slowly. Or have a cup of herbal tea every time you feel like a cigarette. Try to train yourself to do something else when the urge hits instead.

I don't know too much about handling the craving side of things, but are there any situations in particular that make you smoke? My uncle used to have a cigarette whenever he would drink, and when he reduced his alcohol consumption his smoking dropped dramatically. Are there certain people you smoke with in social situations? I'm not saying to stop seeing them, but maybe if you find other things to do with them in sneakily-chosen smoke free environments, that could help. Getting them on board and having them not smoke around you could also help.

Best of luck to you, and stay strong! :flowerforyou:
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I think most people gain weight because smoking kills your appetite and once you stop smoking your appetite comes back. As long as you stay within your calories, you wont put on weight.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I gained 2 stone in 18 months after quitting but that is because my attitude was completely wrong. I used champex tablets to stop and they worked well enough for me but I replaced the cigarettes with wine and food!

Part of this was because I could suddenly taste things and wanted to try everything, each different style of red wine had subtle flavours and I craved the new taste experiences

My doctor told me that I would need to weigh 30 stone to have the same health risks as smoking my 30-40 a day and I used that as an excuse to allow myself to feed my food and drink habit and so the weight gain

One day I looked in a mirror and was horrified by what I had become, I realised the real reason I covered up on holiday was no longer that I burn easily it was shame

The good news is, 60 days into MFP and I am close to losing the 2 stone I gained but I want to lose so much more and to be a healthy weight for the first time in 20 years.

Log your food and any drink here, eat healthy snacks and drink lots of water and maybe even try and keep to the recommended maintenance calories until you are over the smoking......its what I wish that I had done :smile:
  • ayeesunshine
    Options
    @AllyCatXandi
    Mostly when I smoke its because I'm nervous or stressed out about something or simply because I'm bored. Sometimes I even chain smoke if I'm really upset. I do also like to smoke when I drink but since I've started my weight loss journey I've cut back dramatically on alcohol and only allow myself a glass of wine or light beer every so often because that was a major reason I gained weight in the first place, college partying.
  • ayeesunshine
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and advice so far! Really good ideas in there, maybe I can replace a craving for a cigarette with a cup of veggies or something instead. I thought about trying Yoga I hear its relaxing.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    The reason many gain weight is because they try to substitute one addiction with another. Addiction for nicotine by overeating.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you not try to fill your hands too much. If you're new to counting calories and all that jazz and working on weight loss/fitness than don't quit smoking right now. You will get overwhelmed and give up on both. Tackle one battle at a time. Try to cut down on cigs while you're trying to get the hang of weight loss but if you crave it, go for it. Once you are on the right path to weight loss and have mastered counting calories and staying under and are a regular at working out, THEN go for quitting cigs.

Good luck.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Yes the driving force behind me getting into better shape is the desire to give up smoking and being healthy all round. Having seen others pile on the pounds when stopping it made me think about improving my fitness levels beforehand

however, I am likely to look into patches to help wean myself off the cigs, at least at the start

definitely not a stupid thought or question :) good luck
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Giving up smoking does not make you gain weight. People tend to put on weight when they give up because they substitute the habit with something else - normally food.

Find something else to occupy your mind when you give up and you will be fine. I very recently gave up - 10 days ago to be precise - and I have not overate.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    @AllyCatXandi
    Mostly when I smoke its because I'm nervous or stressed out about something or simply because I'm bored. Sometimes I even chain smoke if I'm really upset. I do also like to smoke when I drink but since I've started my weight loss journey I've cut back dramatically on alcohol and only allow myself a glass of wine or light beer every so often because that was a major reason I gained weight in the first place, college partying.

You know why you smoke so now you can stop smoking. You need to deal with the nerves, stress and anxiety or else you run the risk of reaching for something else to comfort you through those feelings. I stopped smoking on December 11th 2010 and I wish I had sat and thought about why I was smoking in the first place, it was anxiety. I comforted myself with food and gained weight. As soon as I got my anxiety under control I was able to stop the comfort eating and start living healthier.

PS: I should add that I was obese to begin with, 5'2/250lbs+, didn't exercise and didn't eat healthy. My weight gain was from the time I quit until mid April when I decided I'd had enough. I'm still glad I quit smoking. I used to need help tying my own shoes. Yesterday I sprinted.

TL;DR: Solve the issues of why you smoke first and then stop smoking.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I think it's a 'all in the mind' thing. I'm trying Stoptober, and I haven't missed them too much. I also haven't been picking at food to compensate either. In fact, yesterday I ran a lot harder than I have done in a while, so I'm going to hold onto that to keep going.

You'll only put on weight if you eat more to compensate for the lack of (excuse me) having something in your mouth. There's little to no viable scientific research which suggests smoking cessation = weight gain.

You can do it!!!
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Giving up smoking does not make you gain weight. People tend to put on weight when they give up because they substitute the habit with something else - normally food.

Find something else to occupy your mind when you give up and you will be fine. I very recently gave up - 10 days ago to be precise - and I have not overate.

this. same with giving up anything, if you replace it with something just a destructive it is not gonna have a major effect, tho health and money wise you are better off giving up smoking regardless of any weight gain
  • ayeesunshine
    Options
    @Lauren3101
    Thats amazing you gave it up! Congrats :) I hope I'm as successful as you
  • Embraced
    Options
    My friend had the same problem and she didn’t put the weight on as she very consciously chosen not to grab a snack as a replacement for having a smoke. I think majority of weight gain after quitting smoking is purely down to people turning to food for the release that having a cigarette gave them. If you manage your cravings and not get tempted by sugar to replace the cigarette, reduce the stress and continue exercising and eating balanced meals, you should be fine. I’m sure you will do amazing – quitting smoking is the best decision you could make so good luck and be proud of yourself as you are making the right decision!
  • LDBianca
    LDBianca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I will recommend auricular therapy to every smoker I will ever meet. They take this device and place it on certain parts of both ears and send a little shock to each area. It's a little uncomfortable but it doesn't hurt.

I was a super heavy smoker and did this and it was the best choice I have ever made. Not only does it help with cravings for nicotine but also food!

What it makes you feel like is say you just went to an all you can eat buffet and just stuffed yourself stupid; then someone offers you your favorite food. You would look at it and think, "hmm that sounds good, but no thanks I'm full" That's how you feel towards cigarettes, "that sounds nice but no thanks".

Here is a link so you can see how the procedure works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBgYzKwyAHA

If you really want to quit smoking this is by far the best option for people who are seriously addicted.

Good luck!!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I've not been a smoker but as others have said its about doing something else - for me part of reducing calories was finding something other to do than snacking. Knitting is good if you can do it, or cross stich, rug making - anything which keeps you hands busy, as you can't exercise 24/7!

Yoga or tai chi is also very good.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking and put a few pounds on, I think it was to do with my metabolism as well as eating a bit more, but like Taunto said, if you've only just started counting calories etc, get into the habit of doing that before trying to stop smoking, it'll all be too much.

Good luck!
  • sueprice3914
    sueprice3914 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My hubby this year gave up smoking after 30 years and what little weight gain he got it did not take long to remove so dont let that worry you.

He did suggest you read Allen CarrThe - Easy Way To Stop Smoking if you really wont to give up it opened his eyes to all the myths about giving up. You will see what you are saying now is just an excuse to stay smoking but really the fear is not real and its just the Demon ( thats what my hubby calls it) putting things in your head to make sure you light up again.

Good luck
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I quit smoking six years ago, but I'd smoked for 25 years and was already overweight and sedentary. No matter what, quitting smoking was still the best thing I have ever done. Eventually my energy levels went up and I felt healthier despite being severely overweight. Then, when, I finally decided to lose the weight, it was far easier to do as a non smoker, because I could run/walk/swim without being breathless all the time. Kick that nasty habit to the curb, you will never regret it. :flowerforyou:
  • ayeesunshine
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice, I'll be doing some research and take all of what you've said into consideration. I am going to have to quit smoking cold turkey as I have no money to purchase them anyway but so far I've been adapting pretty well to counting the calories and thinking before I put something in my mouth. Its just the intense random cravings I get to smoke that have me reeling. I'm going to try the yoga suggestion and the herbal tea for when I get a craving. See if that helps. I know I will feel so much better in the long run but it is a scary thought to give up something I've been doing for a while. Thank you again <3 and I will still read replies if anyone has anymore advice :) you guys are great!