Maybe this will inspire you to keep going!

Options
I've had a lot of failed attempts at trying to lose weight...A LOT of fails. And finally, one success at it. I wanted to share something that I realized with you so that it might help some others with this as well. first, my goal has been weight loss and to get healthy. I have found that there are 3 Stages that you go through while making a lifestyle change that involves changing to healthy eating and starting to exercise.

Stage 1: When you first start trying to exercise and eat healthy. It's new it's exciting and you are totally into it! You are doing it you got big goals and big dreams and big plans and your biggest plan is that you are gonna stick with it this time! In this Stage this is new and easy and you feel motivated to keep going.

Stage 2: It's not new and it's certainly not fun anymore. You begin to miss the old ways. You miss junk food and working out sucks. Your not motivated to keep going and you want to quit. And a lot of people do. This is where they start to fall off the wagon. They start adding cheat meals (which turn into cheat days and then weeks) and they start missing workouts. They are too busy, they have no time, they are too tired or one of 100 other excuses. This is where most people quit. They either quit entirely or they start undoing their progress by cheating. This is the hardest place to be. usually about 3 weeks or so into it.

Stage 3: You didn't quit in Stage 2. You didn't start missing workouts and eating more unhealthy foods. You powered through (and probably hated every minute of it!) and that is how you get to Stage 3. This is where you want to be! The winners circle! The inner sanctum! Because now here in Stage 3 exercise and healthy eating has become a HABIT. You give as much thought to the question "will I exercise today?" as you do to the question "Will I brush my teeth today?" It has become a habit and you are getting it done every single day because it's a habit. At this point you really do enjoy the healty eating-and can easily sneak in some cheats without it becoming a problem and you have even started to enjoy the exercise! You get up in the morning and you know when you will be doing your workout that day-you don't keep to try to find the time. The time has automatically been found and reserved for a workout. In this Stage you just have to keep doing what you've been doing and the physical results will catch up with the emotional and mental results that you have already acheived.

I don't know if there is anything past Stage 3. Stage 3 is where I'm at and it's my first time ever being here and I've been here for about 3 monts or more.

Now, my DISCLAIMER Not every single person will see things this way and not every single person will do things this way and not every single person will find this helpful. But try to respect the idea that some will. If you have a positive comment to make please do so or a constructive critism please do so. If you want to just spew negativity over this then please either message me personally to do it or just go away. negativity includes things like "no, just no" or " that is just wrong" unless its "that is just wrong and here is why...." that then is constructive critism.

Now, my second DISCLAIMER I think it's sad that I have to add a disclaimer to try to keep the thread positive on a motivation and support message board on a website like this-just sayin!

Replies

• Sobeone
    Sobeone Posts: 72
    Options
    Great to have read your post. I'm in stage 1. 3 weeks in but I'm having the time of my life. I am so amped up I think I need a valium, lol. I understand were you are coming from worrying about negative feedback but try and let it roll of your back like it aint nothing. I had some dude tell me to put a shirt on in a post yesterday. Made me mad for a second then I re focused. Well thanks for this heads up post, you hit the nail on the head.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm in the throes of stage 2, with the exception of not missing junk food. I don't miss it because I still eat it :bigsmile: However, working out does suck, eating at a goal sucks, and I'll be honest, there are nights I wanna say "screw it, I DON'T CARE ANYMORE". I can't wait to get to stage 3, where all this is habit. Because stage 2 is miserable lol. So I guess thanks for the hope that it does get better!
  • MizSookeh
    MizSookeh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I'm still in Stage 1 as well, today marks my 3rd week of tracking. This is my first time trying weight loss with MFP and I'm finding it's making a HUGE difference to my motivation.

I know there are people who are completely against 'naughty foods' and those who include it but plan for it - I'm one of the latter. Exercise will be where I start to struggle with motivation, but I don't think I'll fall into the trap of cheat meals/days because I'm already allowing myself to eat foods I enjoy, in moderation.

(Does everyone say that? Possibly! I might come back and change my mind in a few weeks. :laugh: )
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    So very true. Makes sense. Thanks for sharing.
  • paulygi
    paulygi Posts: 58
    Options
    You nailed it. Keep up the good work.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Stage 3 here! Woop woop!!! So glad to be here! Good for you!!! :D Keep it up girl!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i can relate to this. i remember thinking when can i stop all this now. i never stopped the exercise but started to mess up when it came to eating. i am really happy i pushed through
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Very nice breakdown!

I think I'm still in Stage 2 this time. Getting impatient. Missed a few workouts. Really wishing I had some good way to know whether I've put on any muscle :( Still hungry!

I've been through it all a few years ago, though, and I know it gets better! It gets so much easier. The weight does really come off, but I wasn't concerned about time last time, so I don't remember how long I was at it until I hit goal (even got too small because I kept eating the same, lol :) ) It took a while. I just changed my diet and fitness habits and didn't care about how much I'd drop or when, if that makes sense.

This time I'm trying to watch the pot boil, lol. Thank you for the post. It's true: it gets so much easier!

I only gained it back because I went to total anarchy :D Left to my id I'm 30 lbs heavier -- fact!
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think I am on the line of 1 & 2. For three weeks I have been excited to go through my days being good. The past 2 days I have been searching the house for chocolate:angry: . I was down another pound this morning which may have come at just the right time.
    A little spark in my floundering fire.

Congratulation on your success!! and I like the idea of the stages. Helps to put the tough spots in perspective.
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had some dude tell me to put a shirt on in a post yesterday.

Ummm......what? Before and after pictures are a major source of inspiration for a LOT of people.
    Almost all the picts on here are of people in their skivvies. Keep up the good work!!!
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    So true, I have almost into stage 3 (with occasionally stage 2 moments) but exercise is now a habit and I do it everyday without thought, and always plan out my meals!
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Yep, this happened for me! Except stage two came on after six or so months. Now, I am re-energized and motivated. Have been consistent for two months now.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My stages are a bit mixed up!! i am definitely in stage 3 as I have been doing this for about 10 months now and although I exercise 6 days a week and never miss it, I still hate it while im doing it! I love the feeling afterwards and all this exercise allows me to eat this little bit of pudding I want but I still dont like actually doing it! What I do like is feeling fit and healthy and having the energy to run 8 miles when I feel like it. I feel I have a great sense of accomplishment every time I go out and do a run! No quitting for me! Im in the zone!
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Been at stage 1,2&3. Fell off the wagon in stage 3. Now back at 1..... Pushing through to 2! Eating good is the hardest bit.
    Thanks for posting this!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    Options
    Yes, in stage 3, but almost coming out the other end again. I'm nearing maintenance and it doesn't feel so terrific any more. I'm still keeping to the plan and slowly losing, but I think I need a new focus - this has been the most important thing in my life for 16 months. I have some refining to do, especially around the waist, but I won't have the thrill of fitting into smaller clothes etc. I think I should set myself a new fitness challenge.
    It is all worth it though, my life has been transformed. On a recent holiday I was able to walk all day. Amazing. My fitness is better than most people half my age. My routine is now an essential part of my life, but the returns do diminish. I miss the thrill of fitting in to a new size or getting astonished compliments.
    A new goal in life is in order, me thinks, while still keeping up the routine.
  • amie709
    amie709 Posts: 99
    Options
    I'm glad so many people have been finding this helpful! And that you all so much for sharing some of your journey with me on this thread!
  • karabasik
    karabasik Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Great ! Thank you for your post! Stage 3 here for last maybe year and a half . I am maintaining for a tear. I could tell you that according to my experience , stage 2 visits me once in a while in a form of craving sweets . :blushing:
    However , I remind myself that I didn't come that far to get sloppy . I want yo be a winner ! And we all are!
    We have to keep ourselves motivated .
    Good luck to everybody ! Regardless what stage you're .
    P.
    S. Maintaining is muuuuch harder than loosing. The scale is your helper , yes, but not the same way as while you were losing . It watches you, controls you (not inspiring any longer ). Well, it is what it is.:wink:
  • suzeq22
    suzeq22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Perfect description! I have been at Stage 1 and 2 many times. Right now, I'm feeling like Stage 2 1/2, I've lost 11 lbs but seem to have leveled off. I'm trying not to fall back into full Stage 2 but looking towards Stage 3. I just got a fitbit to track progress and it's pretty motivating, although honestly, it's only day 2! I think it might be just the thing to push me all the way to Stage 3!
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Great Post and Congrats on your weight loss!!

I have been thru all of those stages and then some in the last 16 months. You dont realize how much weight loss and getting healthy affects you until you are serious about it . There are so many emotions involved and it truly changes who you are ( hopefully in a good way).

I have found my way from stage 1-3 with no problem.
    When i hit what i will call stage 4 i had some difficulty......Do i really want to do this forever, do i want to log every thing forever, do i want to be sore like this all the time...maybe i should just be happy where i am at and stop for a while

Now i guess you could say i am at stage 5? Yes, i want to do this forever....be fit and strong and look and feel great! Am i sore? Every single day somewhere....and i love it! It means i am changing myself and making a better version of me every day that passes. I go to bed with satisfaction that i did the best things for my body and wake up ready to do it all again . I find myself longing for that "fix" at the gym and taking the rest days when i know my body needs them.

So for anyone in stages 1 or 2.....hang in there!! It will get better. You will see results. Be patient and kind to yourself. Accept the failures and slip ups and move on. You have come this far and you can go so much farther. DREAM IT, BELIEVE IT. ACHIEVE IT!

It feels great to build a better me!!
  • SpookyElectric
    SpookyElectric Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I got to stage 3... but then an ankle injury throws my exercise routine to pot and I find myself back at stage 2. :sad: