What do you put on a sweet potato?

Options

Replies

• albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've heard almond butter is great, but I haven't tried it yet! (my favorite is Justin's Maple AB, I bet that would be unreal)

One of my all-time favorite foods is roasted sweet potatoes! My mom has been making them this way since I was a kid. I was surprised to find out how healthy her recipe is- they get so caramelized that you'd swear you added tons of sugar but there's none!

Cut sweet potatoes and 1-2 Vidalia or sweet onions into chunks (I like them big but smaller cooks faster). Put in foil-lined pan (for effortless cleanup), drizzle with olive oil and toss together. Depends how many potatoes, but I use 1 tbsp oil for a big pan. Roast at 400 degrees for about an hour until they get a little black and crispy on the edges and the onions are fairly transparent. Now...try not to eat the whole batch.
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    I need some healthy, vegan toppings for sweet potatoes. Thoughts?

Absolutely nothing! I love them just the way they are! :heart:
  • yoga_mel
    yoga_mel Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    we usually just do them up with some garlic :)
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Usually only cinnamon or sriracha or just plain
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    great ideas, bump!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat them plain but sometimes I make them a meal and add pulled pork and corn as you're rating vegan just drop the meat. Also use the smoky meat rubs on the skin of the potato when you bake them, the flavor soaks through and adds a little kick.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    cinnamon + chili powder + cumin.

There's a really good thread about what to put on sweet potato fries, might help. I'll see if I can't find it and get a link here.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Spray olive oil in a pan, saute some kale, red onions, red sweet peppers and garlic. Dump it on your mashed sweet potato. I add greek yogurt, but that's not vegan so you could leave it off, or use a vegan alternative.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    People don't realise butter is not vegan? hmm.. Maybe they are talking about a fake butter.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    We spray them with olive oil and toss them in Cajun seasoning and bake the as fries.

Sometimes we combine them with roasted butternut squash, onions, thyme, and light coconut milk and blend as a soup.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I put on Marvin Gaye's "Let's get it on" and then spread some buttery goodness on that potato. Then, to spice things up I throw some cinnamon at it. Gets it every time.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I put peanut butter on my sweet potato!!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bump
  • foolsforsarah
    Options
    I love them plain! Its surprising all the flavors they have we don't realize since we are used to loading things with butter.

On occasion I add a little Ghee to mine and or cinnamon.

I found this amazing recipe for indian spiced sweet potatoes while I was home.....let me go look brb....

okay pretty sure this is it!
    THEY WERE AMAZING!!!! Wish I could eat them now.
    http://www.janssushibar.com/indian-spiced-sweet-potatoes/
  • Just_Wil
    Just_Wil Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon is usually the only thing I put on mine.
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump for some great ideas
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Nothing.
    Heat it up, eat it with my other food....tastes great.
    Naturally sweet.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    All I put on mine is butter....

Or you could make sweet potato fries if you want to try something different. I made some yesterday.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Nutmeg is good on sweet potatoes. :)
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    1 tablespoon of butter (to cut calories, I halve portion sizes sometimes), cinnamon, and stevia (all natural, zero calorie sweetener, without the bad side effects of aspartame!).