Fellow geeks for support?

Options

Replies

• Hegemone
    Hegemone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of getting some favorite books on audio to encourage me to walk more. My current work out of rapidly turning pages has made my hands nimble and lean, though.
    One thing going for me: nerds love information! So, I can learn All The Things about getting healthier! And then I can relax, all proud of myself whilst I watch Eureka or Star Trek or read Jane Austen or whatever!
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    I don't know if I'm the kind of geek you are after, but I love science and Star Trek and when I log "Cardio", what I mean is DDR...
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    I'm a gamer shedding my post pregnancy pounds. would love some support. feel free to add me. I enjoy telling people if i've exercised or not each day. It helps me stay on track!!
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm the kind of geek you are after, but I love science and Star Trek and when I log "Cardio", what I mean is DDR...

*crys* I miss our DDR machine so bad. We had one down the the Memorial Student Center where I went to school, but a rennovation later the machine is now gone. We have one in another place in the city but it's bad- kids have beaten the pads so bad the right no longer registers so it's pointless to play and expensive to boot. I so wanna play...
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Ingress, I take it you have an android device.
    You have never walked as far in your life as you will to cap an enemy portal in Ingress.
    One of my friends climbed a mountain to cap a portal and I ran thru this morning's wind/rain storm to get one too.
    I can Farm portals for an hour without even realising where the time has gone

A friend showed this game/app to me recently and I think I'm hooked ))
    For the first time in my life, a computer game that actually gets me out the door and makes me move! Awesome.
  • pixie_pix
    pixie_pix Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    In for geekieness not only labled on my shirt...
    DS9 and TNG Fan, embracing the wisdoms of Master Yoda, am into Fantasy-Books and -Gaming (Skyrim, The Witcher, eg). Music is essential and I am a Fashionista of the creepy kind: love strange hats with funny ears, nerdy t-shirts, skulls in any style, tattoos and weired colored fingernails.
    Working is no geeky at all, I am the friendly HR_Department...

My personal opinion is that geeks and nerds of any kind are determined to succeed on this journey for a healthier lifestyle cause we are passionate folks. And if we WANT something, we love and embrace it with our entire heart and soul and give everything for it!
    So I see this journey like a big RL Game in wich I do quests and level up and this makes it a lot of fun!

I celebrate my unique Playlists for running, love to have audiobooks while I do cardio in the gym and try to fit in regular gaming sessions and time to watch the latest tv-shows inbetween my busy workout schedule....

Love to have more geekieness on my wall, so all feel free to add me as you feel you rock a similar boat!
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    So I see this journey like a big RL Game in wich I do quests and level up and this makes it a lot of fun!
    Have you been on Fitocracy yet?

Also, since no one mentioned it here yet, there's also Nerd Fitness. They put a geeky spin on training.
  • smerkord
    smerkord Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think I am 50/50 nerd/geek.

Zombies! Run as suggested.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/ (I haven't fully explored the website, but I like it so far)
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I fit in here but you all seem really cool so feel free to add me if you like. I recently downloaded Zombies Run, though I only tried it once and am not sure if I will be able to "get into it" or not.
    I do like to read but can't seem to find time. I have thought about listening to audio books when I walk but I need the music for motivation.
  • gbjess204
    gbjess204 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am a geek!!! Complete IT geek. I am having trouble finding time to get to the gym and in my free time I am finding myself building computers.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You knowwww you can be a geek and work out at the same time. Pop on some Star Trek on netflix and entertain yourself during a home workout. Especially if you've seen it all before, you'll be able to concentrate more on your workout with the entertainment in the background.

Or you can get your books on tape ;)
  • smerkord
    Options
    Why am I just learning of this fitocracy?? Downloading android app now.
  • smerkord
    Options
    You knowwww you can be a geek and work out at the same time. Pop on some Star Trek on netflix and entertain yourself during a home workout. Especially if you've seen it all before, you'll be able to concentrate more on your workout with the entertainment in the background.

Or you can get your books on tape ;)

Audiobooks are a lifesaver for walking...I haven't tried them running yet, because I have found the zombies! run app. Prior to that though, I found that just being in my own head worked.
  • pixie_pix
    Options
    Have you been on Fitocracy yet?

Yup, I'm in there but recently got a bit behind with double logging mfp and fitocracy since It takes a lot of time to log every single exercise during my gymtime in fitocracy. But the concept is fun to me!

Anyone on Striiv-Fun building "my land" with walking and running? it's not very accurate in counting steps but "no brainer"-fun while you walk or run anyway.... I'm in there but don't know anyone who is playing it too...

I still reject Zombies run, cause I see myself already wanting to buy all in app purchases and I don't want to end up buying and buying with no end...
  • punkinkat
    punkinkat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I wore my HRM to determine precisely how many calories I burn playing MarioKart... does that count as "geeky?"
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Total geek here too :bigsmile: Anyone can feel free to add me! My fave thing to do is to make workout games for my fave movies and shows.. like this
    tumblr_m1kscg4PJ01r45m07o1_500.jpg
  • smerkord
    Options
    I still reject Zombies run, cause I see myself already wanting to buy all in app purchases and I don't want to end up buying and buying with no end...

I don't typically pay for apps, but I justify this as an "investment" in my fitness. Of course now I am hooked because the zombie hordes make interval training more fun, and there are achievements. I am a sucker for achievements.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Geek will one day rule the world!!!
  • pixie_pix
    Options

Audiobooks are a lifesaver for walking...I haven't tried them running yet, because I have found the zombies! run app. Prior to that though, I found that just being in my own head worked.

Audiobooks are great for long walks or Cardiosessions in the Gym.
    But for running I prefer Music which keeps me in the right tempo. Figured out I run best with some heavy pitched up techno-tunes at about 150bpm... Or some Power Metal, as I recently fell in love with a finnish Band called Battle Beast...
    For weighttraining I love to put in some stuff like Disturbed or Killswitch Engage to get me in the right mood...

And I am always the one who comes into Gym or on Track with the nerdiest of shirts... My favs atm are a "Bazinga" shirt and a variety of star wars shirts... Love to celebrate my geekyness/nerdyness like this!
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Is the zombie run app suitable for beginners? Was just gonna do the plain old boring couch to 5 k but figure zombie run would have me fighting fit for the apocalypse!