Success stories by upping calories PLEAS

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    How do you increase your muscle mass after weight loss if i eat the same calories i have been im still loosing i don't need to loose more fat i need muscle but my body seems to be getting smaller with out much muscle mass im guessing i need to add more protien or more fat to my diet but that means increase calories also ??? Don't know how to accheive what i want now that the fat is gone i do lift weights and a lot of cardio im 42 weigh 121 people say i look sick now

You cannot build muscle on a deficit. I would suggest looking into doing bulk and cut cycles. You can do a slow bulk (eat at a slight surplus, maybe 250 calories a day over maintenance), which may limit how much fat is gained at the same time as muscle (there is no way to gain muscle without also gaining fat). Then after bulking for a few months, do a slow cut (250 calories under maintenance). Repeat as necessary.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I like the stories on here, thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately I can't say mine is a "success" story since I have just started. I plataeu'd for over a year at about 165 (goal weight is around 145-150) eating 1400 or less calories a day. I just got so sick of it, too few calories, so hard to do, hungry all the time, no energy, etc.

Then my husband and I moved across states and in the 2 months of prep and work for that I stopped watching what I was eating, hadn't been exercising anymore, and gained about 15 lbs.

I had already been researching EMTWL and such, and I always like strength better than cardio so I am now trying NROL4W and eating the recommended calories in there-10% which is 1800 calories for me. This is roughly what TDEE calculators tell me to eat.

It's only been a week and I have been the same scale weight, but I do feel like my shape is getting better. Getting firmer and all that. Plus I just FEEL good, you know?

And for those that are scared, don't be. I gained 15 lbs. Did I die? Did everyone in my life hate me for gaining? Nope. (In fact most people still told me I looked like I lost weight, go figure!). Sure it sucks I have to lose those 15 again but I'm not going to stress myself about it.

So the WORST that can happen is you gain a few lbs while your body adjusts. Most of that will probably just be your glycogen stores (and water weight) returning to normal after a long period of eating under BMR. But IMO the benefits of doing TDEE outweigh any drawbacks. You eat more (which is not to say in excess!), get your metabolism up where it should be, and you feel and actually are healthier. Isn't that the whole point?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I had already lost about 100 lbs when I joined MFP. I joined because I hit a plateau that I wanted to break, and the only way to do so, I felt, was by more closely monitoring the numbers of what I ate. I discovered when I started logging that I was actually eating well under my BMR (which is ~2000 calories, while I was average about 1500 a day). Increased calorie intake and weight loss picked right back up again. I have since then lost another ~35 lbs.
  • sparrow0716
    Options
    How long has it taken for everyone's bodies to adjust to the upped calories? (i.e. How long after you up your calories do you start losing weight again?)
  • amypomm
    amypomm Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    How long has it taken for everyone's bodies to adjust to the upped calories? (i.e. How long after you up your calories do you start losing weight again?)

I started losing straight away - i.e. within the week...
  • knitbytes
    knitbytes Posts: 114
    Options
    That is an excellent question. I'm quite curious about that as well. Everybody says "eat more, starvation mode, bla bla bla". Has anybody actually reached a plateau and then lost some more weight by increasing calories?

Yes.

I hit a solid plateau in late April/Early May and for an entire month I fluctuated between 235 and 232 pounds. I could not break 230 for the life of me. I was also tired and angry all the time. At that point I had been on a 1200 calorie diet for several months.

In late May, I read up on TDEE and BMR, etc, and decided to try it out. My calorie intake changed to 1800-2000 calories a day (I know- it seemed like a lot to me, too! I had a really hard time eating so much for a couple of weeks.) During the week or two that I was changing gears, I didn't lose, but as soon as that was over and I was solidly eating 1800cal/day, the weight started falling off again. In the month since, I have lost over 11 pounds. Plus, I have energy! I'm actually happy! I'm enjoying my life! I can eat pretty much anything I feel like eating (which is mostly clean foods, but once a week or so I'll have a treat like ice cream or pizza and have no guilt because it fits into my calories).

ETA pictures! Here's me in mid-May, stuck in a plateau:

0514130819.jpg
    0514130820.jpg

And here's me now:
    0627130951.jpg
    0627130951a.jpg

(same person, I promise. I started liking myself enough to start having a style, in the last few weeks, thus the haircut and contacts!)
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I know I got down to 86 lbs eating less... Never hit starvation mode, even when actually starving.
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    That is an excellent question. I'm quite curious about that as well. Everybody says "eat more, starvation mode, bla bla bla". Has anybody actually reached a plateau and then lost some more weight by increasing calories?

Yes.

I hit a solid plateau in late April/Early May and for an entire month I fluctuated between 235 and 232 pounds. I could not break 230 for the life of me. I was also tired and angry all the time. At that point I had been on a 1200 calorie diet for several months.

In late May, I read up on TDEE and BMR, etc, and decided to try it out. My calorie intake changed to 1800-2000 calories a day (I know- it seemed like a lot to me, too! I had a really hard time eating so much for a couple of weeks.) During the week or two that I was changing gears, I didn't lose, but as soon as that was over and I was solidly eating 1800cal/day, the weight started falling off again. In the month since, I have lost over 11 pounds. Plus, I have energy! I'm actually happy! I'm enjoying my life! I can eat pretty much anything I feel like eating (which is mostly clean foods, but once a week or so I'll have a treat like ice cream or pizza and have no guilt because it fits into my calories).

ETA pictures! Here's me in mid-May, stuck in a plateau:

0514130819.jpg
    0514130820.jpg

And here's me now:
    0627130951.jpg
    0627130951a.jpg

(same person, I promise. I started liking myself enough to start having a style, in the last few weeks, thus the haircut and contacts!)

Awesome girl!!! I like the part about the haircut and contacts. Feels good to feel good about yourself!
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    b7db1220-7e0a-4105-86e8-5a6c59747bda.jpg

Started Nov 2011 on 900 - 1200 cals per day, everyone said it was too low so I upped to 1400 for 6 months, then I upped to 1600 for another 6 months or so, then I did my actual BMR/TDEE and started eating at 1810 which is what I've been doing for the last 3 months. I currently lose 1-2lb per week, I might even put my calories up again. It does work :drinker:

wow you look like joan holloway in that dress! Im so jealous:flowerforyou:
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    bump. Ive been doing this for about a month and have actually put 2 lbs on...Trying to be patient though since everyone says it takes time for your body to adjust. fingers crossed that it works!
  • withoutaname
    withoutaname Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my weight was on the exact same number for a while (I was starting to think my scale was broken), so I heard upping calories might help, and went from 1200 a day to about 1600 all week - checked the scales this morning and bam another pound lost. Looks like I'm going to be sticking to this :)
  • Landi_001
    Options
    bump
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have upped calories from 1200 to 1500 then finally 1800-1900 finally dropping slowly
  • jesskreg
    jesskreg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd share. I started out on MFP eating 1200 cal./day plus exercise calories. I've lost about 50 lbs. For this past year or so, I've bounced between the same 2-3 lbs. I thought it was because I've been so busy and haven't really kept up with my exercise routine like I would like to. The past few weeks, I've gone to eating about 1500-1600 calories plus walking and zumba, and I've lost 2 lbs! It may be a coincidence, but I'll definitely update this post in a few weeks. Hopefully this works out! Good luck to you. :)
  • KellieP1975
    Options
    Hi my name is Kellie and I have been on here since November 12. While I have only lost 15lbs I have toned my body and went from skipping meals to now I am eating food. I have my intake set at 1200 but I never can obtain that amount and especially after exercise which I do Elliptical 6x a week. I have been told that the reason I am not losing the last 5-8lbs that I desire to lose is because I am not eating enough calories. Why is it that I have a fear of eating more food I am going to blimp out? I know that this wont happen but it is bothersome to me. I have got to overlook the number on the scale and realize it isnt about that its about health and doing what is right for my body. Based on what I have read here upping my calories will make a huge difference. UGH anyone else feel the same way I do about having to up calories? Thank you in advance for your advice.

Please dont comment if you are going to rag on me for not eating enough as I really am trying to. Remember I have gone from skipping meals for years to now I am eating food and feel so much better.
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options
    b7db1220-7e0a-4105-86e8-5a6c59747bda.jpg

Started Nov 2011 on 900 - 1200 cals per day, everyone said it was too low so I upped to 1400 for 6 months, then I upped to 1600 for another 6 months or so, then I did my actual BMR/TDEE and started eating at 1810 which is what I've been doing for the last 3 months. I currently lose 1-2lb per week, I might even put my calories up again. It does work :drinker:

you look awesome girl! kudos to you!!
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • LoudmouthLee
    Options
    Hi, Everyone!

In high school, I was athletic and of a slightly larger build. I was 5'8, weighed around 190. Good looking boy! - I went away to college when I was 18. The freshman 15 turned into the freshman 50 for me. Things spiraled out of control after that, and I ended up graduating college at 310 pounds, putting on 120 pounds during my college career.

Whenever I had lost weight previously, I had drastically cut calories and hit the gym hard... it was completely the wrong way to do it, and there was no way I could maintain the pace I was going at. I would drop 50 pounds, only to put 60 back on. It was wild. And horrible.

The last time I lost weight, I decided to really do research. About TDEE. About BMR. About Calories in vs. Calories out.

Throughout the entire time I have lost weight, I have eaten between 2200-2700 calories a day. If I want Pizza, I have Pizza. If I want Taco Bell, you bet. I just make better decisions when I'm there.

Pictures:

Then (310 pounds)

1rpx14.jpg
    2pycmzm.jpg

Now (190 and Body Recomp)

2a5yyv4.jpg
    250qp9s.jpg
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I did my first 8 weeks on 2200cal, then I upped my cals to 2400cal and I'm still losing weight. I didn't up the cals as I hit a plateau though. I did it so I could eat more food. I started my cut on way too little cal for my cal needs. Next time I'll cut on 3.3k and then slowly taper down if I need to.

Koing
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!