Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    If it ain't broke ... don't fix it.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't exercise. I'm losing just fine without it, it seems like more trouble than it's worth!
    You do understand what the benefits of exercise are besides contributing to weight loss?

Yeah, but my goal is to lose weight, and I'm pretty healthy overall, so it's not a priority. I'll start exercising AFTER I lose all the weight I want to lose, just to move everything into the shape I want. I'll probably just do yoga or something, I don't do the frantic sweating thing.

good luck with that one.

(eye roll)
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It actually is a bad plan and you are wrong

She's a single handful of pounds from her final goal. Exercising now or not won't make a damn's worth of difference in her appearance or body composition at goal weight.

For her goals, from where she's at, there's nothing wrong with her plan.

With being 12 lbs from her "goal" there would actually be a noticeable difference if the OP did some sort of compound lift routine while in a slight caloric deficit as opposed to just having a slight caloric deficit. She might also see that she's probably not a whole 12 lbs away from her goal. Like I said before heavy lifting does great things for body composition.

But she doesn't want to lift weights... Personally, I love lifting; it's the majority of my routine. But, she doesn't want to. She wants to do yoga.

I believe the point is: Why be concerned with the number on the scale, instead of the number on the tape measure. Why sacrifice LBM now to meet a number on the scale only to try to go through body comp later? Why not put in the work now to maintain some of that LBM when it's much easier, than try to go through building it back up later which is much harder?

Don't bother, as she doesn't understand this. I tried repeatedly in another thread to explain maintaining LBM to help with calorie burn & she didn't get it. In fact, she made rude comments repeatedly to the OP of the thread. She'll understand at some point when she doesn't get the results she wants, but for now, don't get frustrated trying to correct her misinformation. It's not worth the time & effort. I just hope others are not swayed by her arguments. That's where it hurts, when others are lead astray!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I got to goal weight and then started exercising. It's working fabulously for me. I don't look how I want to when I'm done, but I knew that was going to happen. I'm at my goal weight, not my goal shape. I'm not done yet. I know a lot of the weight lost was LBM, I don't care. It's not the most efficient way, but people seem to conveniently forget that weight loss isn't a race when people choose to lose differently from them.

Edtied for a typo.
  • YvonneCT
    YvonneCT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice for you, not really. I can only share my own experience which was a surprise to me. I was exercising consistently 4-5 days a week...long walks, weight training, bicycling, treadmill, stairmaster, etc. I loved it. I felt good. But my weight loss was erratic, up down, up, down, up, up, down, plateau. I only ate back about half my calories. I was on plateau when I injured my hip. So I had to stop exercising for the last 3-4 weeks, except for some easy walks. My plateau was broken and I had my biggest loss in less than a week. 2.5 lbs. I never lost more than 1 lb. in a week before. I love exercising, so I am not sure what to do as my injury is about healed. When I exercise I am hungrier and eat more. Not sure what to do. I do feel much more fit when I exercise, though.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

1.) What you were doing previously was working, GO BACK!

2.) Weight loss is not linear. Most newbies, those truly new to weight loss, will have large losses in the beginning. Those are the "easy" pounds due to water loss, changes in glycogen stores, etc. Don't expect those rapid losses to continue. Weight loss of 0.5-1 pound/week is sustainable. Weight losses >2 pounds/week are not only not sustainable, but are unhealthy. Weight loss that fast should only be done under the care of a bariatric/weight loss physician & dietitian who will ensure you are ingesting adequate nutrients.

3.) Your goal should be to spare the most lean body mass (muscle), which helps burn more calories. You can help that along by eating adequate protein & calories/day, as well as adding resistance training. If dieting, you will lose some LBM, but your goal should be to limit the amount of LBM lost. You want to loss more fat than muscle!

4.) Don't be in a hurry. It's a marathon not a sprint. I know that's hard to do, trust me, I know! Studies have shown that those who crash diet & lose rapidly, usually regain their weight. They view a diet as just that, a "diet"--it's temporary. It better to establish a reasonable/sustainable dietary & exercise regimen you can live with "for life." Those who only diet to lose weight, regain it back when they finish "the diet." Those who choose to lose slower and establish a real lifestyle change they can stick to for life, are the ones who succeed long term.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I think the simplest answer to your question is staring right back at you. The mind is a funny thing isn't it ? I eat back nearly every calorie because I don't want to lose more than 1/2 - 1 lb. a week as I'm getting within 15-20 lbs. of where I want to be. Maybe. I would be happy where I'm at if I lost 3 inches on my waist. So we make logical decisions in our minds and it doesn't work , panic sets in then we fear what seems to be illogical, eating back the calories. When to eat them back and what kind is my conundrum. I hope I helped, have a good day
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    It actually is a bad plan and you are wrong

She's a single handful of pounds from her final goal. Exercising now or not won't make a damn's worth of difference in her appearance or body composition at goal weight.

For her goals, from where she's at, there's nothing wrong with her plan.

With being 12 lbs from her "goal" there would actually be a noticeable difference if the OP did some sort of compound lift routine while in a slight caloric deficit as opposed to just having a slight caloric deficit. She might also see that she's probably not a whole 12 lbs away from her goal. Like I said before heavy lifting does great things for body composition.

But she doesn't want to lift weights... Personally, I love lifting; it's the majority of my routine. But, she doesn't want to. She wants to do yoga.

I believe the point is: Why be concerned with the number on the scale, instead of the number on the tape measure. Why sacrifice LBM now to meet a number on the scale only to try to go through body comp later? Why not put in the work now to maintain some of that LBM when it's much easier, than try to go through building it back up later which is much harder?

Don't bother, as she doesn't understand this. I tried repeatedly in another thread to explain maintaining LBM to help with calorie burn & she didn't get it. In fact, she made rude comments repeatedly to the OP of the thread. She'll understand at some point when she doesn't get the results she wants, but for now, don't get frustrated trying to correct her misinformation. It's not worth the time & effort. I just hope others are not swayed by her arguments. That's where it hurts, when others are lead astray!

LOL. I'm not doing things your way, I'm not prioritizing exercise, but I'm still losing weight, and my milkshake is still bringing the boys to the yard. My way is working well for me, and honestly, it could work for other people like me. I don't like exercise. I just don't. So why would I put myself through the ordeal of having to use my willpower to force myself to exercise during the same time period that I'm using it to restrict my calorie intake? Why put myself through both ordeals at once? Slow and steady wins the race, right? Well, that's what I'm doing. It's not like there's some magical body sculpting effect that can ONLY happen if you do exercise and weight loss at the same time. You can do them consecutively, and it's not like I'm a flaccid mess with no muscle tone to begin with, even though I don't exercise, I always take stairs two at a time, and I always walk briskly, etc. So come off it. Your way ain't the only way.
  • jlocant
    jlocant Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    don't concentrate so much on what the scale says. as many said weight lose in females comes in hops. concentrate on how you feel and look.
  • jafabuNZ
    jafabuNZ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    To the OP: The great plateau, don't we all just love it. Something has to change and I guess you're trying to find out what that change should be. I could suggest less food but who wants less food?! and we all know what starvation will do, the body cannot be tricked, it will adjust. Exercise isnt my favourite thing either but I like walking and I assume you walk every day anyway so boost that walk, power walk for at least half an hour every day, see if that helps. Good luck.
  • reneeb816
    reneeb816 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

1.) What you were doing previously was working, GO BACK!

2.) Weight loss is not linear. Most newbies, those truly new to weight loss, will have large losses in the beginning. Those are the "easy" pounds due to water loss, changes in glycogen stores, etc. Don't expect those rapid losses to continue. Weight loss of 0.5-1 pound/week is sustainable. Weight losses >2 pounds/week are not only not sustainable, but are unhealthy. Weight loss that fast should only be done under the care of a bariatric/weight loss physician & dietitian who will ensure you are ingesting adequate nutrients.

3.) Your goal should be to spare the most lean body mass (muscle), which helps burn more calories. You can help that along by eating adequate protein & calories/day, as well as adding resistance training. If dieting, you will lose some LBM, but your goal should be to limit the amount of LBM lost. You want to loss more fat than muscle!

4.) Don't be in a hurry. It's a marathon not a sprint. I know that's hard to do, trust me, I know! Studies have shown that those who crash diet & lose rapidly, usually regain their weight. They view a diet as just that, a "diet"--it's temporary. It better to establish a reasonable/sustainable dietary & exercise regimen you can live with "for life." Those who only diet to lose weight, regain it back when they finish "the diet." Those who choose to lose slower and establish a real lifestyle change they can stick to for life, are the ones who succeed long term.

Thank you for your advice! I realize that I was being impatient. It felt good to eat back my calories today. :bigsmile:
  • reneeb816
    reneeb816 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think the simplest answer to your question is staring right back at you. The mind is a funny thing isn't it ? I eat back nearly every calorie because I don't want to lose more than 1/2 - 1 lb. a week as I'm getting within 15-20 lbs. of where I want to be. Maybe. I would be happy where I'm at if I lost 3 inches on my waist. So we make logical decisions in our minds and it doesn't work , panic sets in then we fear what seems to be illogical, eating back the calories. When to eat them back and what kind is my conundrum. I hope I helped, have a good day

You hit the nail right on the head! It does help....thank you!