Has anyone else felt sick after eating unhealthy foods?

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I used to live off of Kraft boxed Macaroni and Cheese when I was fat. I gave it up for a while while losing and, after months and months of relatively clean eating (cooking all my own foods from scratch) I decided to treat myself to it.

It felt like there was something alive moving around, writhing inside my stomach for hours afterwards.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    It's more a guilty feeling for me than a sick feeling

Agreed.

It's probably more psychosomatic.

^ this.

i eat candy and pizza and bagels and processed foods and pretzels and diet soda and a bunch of other things and i don't ever feel sick (except from ingesting too much dairy too quickly that triggers my lactose intolerance).
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    too... much... smug...

I'm out!

lol. Pretty much this.

But I will say that I had one of my old favorites: A greasy fish fillet sandwich with Tartar sauce and a little extra mayo the other day. I didn't feel so great afterward. :) Eh...guess I'll just have to get a new favorite. :drinker:
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    YES! eat bad- or over do it-get the runs or constipated LOL
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I think it's actually the fact that I'm getting old, and not that I've been eating healthier, that makes super greasy foods less palatable to me now.

And my IBS is to blame for all the problems with any foods. Healthy and grease-laden alike.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I had a small piece of apple torte yesterday and I felt nauseous afterward. It wasn't worth it. It also made me crave more later on in the day, and I don't normally crave sweets anymore.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Agreed.

hey now, don't be getting all "arm chair psychiatric" now.....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Oh yeah, I think it is pretty common to see this after eating well. My hubby even pointed out that we probably both felt sick all the time when we ate processed foods but now we are more aware of it.

ummm no, plenty of people on my friends list eat all kinds of stuff and do not have this problem..so lets not generalize...

IMO this is a mental thing....

Perhaps the difference is if you ever actually stopped consuming something or not for whatever extended period of time.

I certainly know that my physical reaction to certain foods now is most certainly NOT in my head.

I never set out to eliminate anything and am also not ever advocating that other people do. I have no issues with eating "unhealthy" or "junk" foods as proven by the fact that I was quite happy to have them. It was a simple case of having reduced eating certain foods less and less often, as on fewer calories I liked to feel fuller for longer and wanted to get more bang for my buck so to speak which resulted in me eating cleaner. But whenever I return to things that never used to cause problems when I was eating them frequently (deep fried fish in batter, McD, KFC, Indian take-aways etc) whenever I have them now I feel sick afterwards. Simple as. I know myself well enough to know what's effectively psychosomatic and what's not! Often I actually really enjoy eating it in the moment, but it's shortly after that the meal sits in mys stomach like a brick and I end up being sick.

Strikes me that there are a hell of a lot of people on this thread having similar experiences.

there are a hell a lot of people who are not having this experience; my point was, just because "some" people have this issue, does not mean that we can extend it to the whole population.

Some people will die in auto accidents, does it mean that we all will? No...

I don't know where you're going with this argument.

I never claimed it was something that EVERYONE experiences.

I just felt that, being one of those who DOES happen to experience this reaction, the unsubstantiated piece of armchair psychoanalysis "it's all in your mind" is a little patronising. That's all.

the original person that I quoted said that "I think it is pretty common to see this after eating well..." I just said lets not generalize one persons experience to everyone else. I am perfectly fine eating all manner of food and do not have any issues...
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    It's a common reaction to eating a type of food you've not had in a long time. Has nothing to do with being 'healthy' or not.

Funny how it never happens with carrots eh? :huh:

Actually, it does. To me, anyway. If I have too many raw carrots and/or broccoli, I get a terrible gut ache. I'm not talking huge bowls of veggies, either. Mind you, I love vegetables.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    We've been eating almost 100% clean here too for about the last two months. I've not deviated, but I know that hubby has tried to eat a few "normal" things every once in a blue moon while at work and seriously regretted it afterwards....he said it was like instant nausea and heartburn. He's started turning down food offers just because he doesn't want to feel like crap afterwards. Now we are too afraid to even attempt to eat out.......instead we spend the money that we would have spent at the restaurant to buy fancy ingredients and make our own fancy meals and desserts...and eat them "al dente" on the patio. I don't think I could bring myself to eat something not "clean" now....simply for fear of the physical consequences.

" al dente " refers to slightly undercooked pasta
    " al fresco " means eating outside.

I quit eating " fast food " about thirty years ago. Each time I visited the US I looked forward to eating at fast food places ( Arby's for the roast beef sandwich and Wendy's for the burger and the Cheesecake Factory for the soup & cheese cake ) and could not figure out why I often felt so bad. I usually blamed it on the long flight. When the venue for the meetings was changed from Chicago to Miami and I started to eat Cuban food in small mom & pop restaurants, I figured out that it must have been from that fast food. I have pretty much left it alone since. The few times I tried it, I paid the price.
    I am very well aware that my reaction ( usually bloating, gas and almost diarrhea ) was, because I was not used to this kind of food and that eating more of it will adjust one's digestion. But I figured that I was really not interested to eat that kind of food often and it was much easier for me to just cut it out entirely.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    It's a common reaction to eating a type of food you've not had in a long time. Has nothing to do with being 'healthy' or not.

Actually, it does. To me, anyway. If I have too many raw carrots and/or broccoli, I get a terrible gut ache. I'm not talking huge bowls of veggies, either. Mind you, I love vegetables.

i stopped eating raw carrots years ago for this reason. it felt like razor blades working their way through my intestines.

i stopped eating corn because it seemed to enjoy mocking my body's inability to digest it.

i refuse to eat brussels sprouts or asparagus because they are evil.

i guess what i'm saying is.. that... well... basically, vegetables suck! :angry:
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

Agreed.

I'm not acting like a psychiatric, but in my opinion I would estimate a lot of people base their sick feelings on emotional/mental/guilt issues rather than actually feeling like they're physically ill from ingesting some of their former favorite unhealthy foods. I do understand that some people could be feeling ill from having gluten/lactose intolerance or another food allergy.
  • ndj1979
    Options

your vegetables are not clean enough...
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    That just proves that "clean eating" makes you weak.

:flowerforyou:
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    We've been eating almost 100% clean here too for about the last two months. I've not deviated, but I know that hubby has tried to eat a few "normal" things every once in a blue moon while at work and seriously regretted it afterwards....he said it was like instant nausea and heartburn. He's started turning down food offers just because he doesn't want to feel like crap afterwards. Now we are too afraid to even attempt to eat out.......instead we spend the money that we would have spent at the restaurant to buy fancy ingredients and make our own fancy meals and desserts...and eat them "al dente" on the patio. I don't think I could bring myself to eat something not "clean" now....simply for fear of the physical consequences.

" al dente " refers to slightly undercooked pasta
    " al fresco " means eating outside.

I quit eating " fast food " about thirty years ago. Each time I visited the US I looked forward to eating at fast food places ( Arby's for the roast beef sandwich and Wendy's for the burger and the Cheesecake Factory for the soup & cheese cake ) and could not figure out why I often felt so bad. I usually blamed it on the long flight. When the venue for the meetings was changed from Chicago to Miami and I started to eat Cuban food in small mom & pop restaurants, I figured out that it must have been from that fast food. I have pretty much left it alone since. The few times I tried it, I paid the price.

and once again...

correlation =/= causation
  • ndj1979
    Options

Agreed.

I'm not acting like a psychiatric, but in my opinion I would estimate a lot of people base their sick feelings on emotional/mental/guilt issues rather than actually feeling like they're physically ill from ingesting some of their former favorite unhealthy foods. I do understand that some people could be feeling ill from having gluten/lactose intolerance or another food allergy.

LOL I was actually agreeing with you ..I said the same thing in an earlier post and someone said don't be all "arm chair psychiatric" and then said I was patronizing...
  • SlimmingMeDown
    SlimmingMeDown Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I hadn't eaten at a fast food restaurant in a year. Out of necessity on the road I had a Wendy's meal and got a stomach-ache almost immediately after.

However, anything I make at home from scratch that resembles fast food does not make me sick. It's all in the ingredients I guess.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

Agreed.

LOL I was actually agreeing with you ..I said the same thing in an earlier post and someone said don't be all "arm chair psychiatric" and then said I was patronizing...

Ah, gotcha.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    That just proves that "clean eating" makes you weak.

Do you also believe that a high alcohol tolerance somehow makes you "stronger"? :huh:
    Well, it makes me stronger than the person who passed out before me. Especially after I write "I am weak" all over their face with a Sharpie. :glasses:

Ahhh, just kidding. Never done that. But now that I've thought of it...
  • Mgsilve
    Mgsilve Posts: 24
    Options
    I ate clean for several months, and then indulged in an unhealthy dinner. A few agonizing hours later it all left my system. I could not hold the food down, and all I ate was a fast food meal. Bizarre right? I can eat homemade unhealthy foods without trouble, like homemade french fries.