Who is that "average woman" who needs to eat 2,000 cal?

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    This thread is so mean...

..........................get it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    My maintenance is above 2000 calories a day... but I'm a tall woman.

But in another thread, you said you weren't being consistent with your logging/eating so how do you know what your maintenance is? And if you know your maintenance, then I'm confused about the other thread in where you had issues losing.

Sorry, it just stuck out is all. But...back to the averages I guess....

Isn't there something about creating drama by bringing stuff from other threads? Why is my maintenance any of your damn concern in the first place?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

But in another thread, you said you weren't being consistent with your logging/eating so how do you know what your maintenance is? And if you know your maintenance, then I'm confused about the other thread in where you had issues losing.

Isn't there something about creating drama by bringing stuff from other threads? Why is my maintenance any of your damn concern in the first place?

It was just a question...sheesh.

Edited to Clarify: I just found it odd you'd make a statement in regards to your maintenance in a thread asking about those who need to eat 2k+ when you don't really know, it seems.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    I eat 18-1900 a day and am losing...and that's with a 15% reduction of my TDEE...so yeah, if a person is active and has muscle they can easily eat 2000 calories a day and not gain.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Gonna guess about 5'5", 150lbs, 30 years old and lightly active.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Probably because I deleted you... but you know... whatever.

Um, no.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Yeah and they ALSO don't tell you when you take the 'all the money' option that not only are you going to be taxed heavily but you're going to be really hungry, exhausted, emotional and craving a Snickers binge by the end of the first week. :sad:
    That is exactly the tax I had in mind in this analogy.

FTR, at 5'7", I was measured with an RMR of ~1530 I think, but that was probably 5+ years ago, and had less muscle. I maintained on 1750 calories per day. Scooby's calculator using Katch-McArdle puts me at 1794, so pretty close there. With my current level of exercise, I would maintain on 2250. My ultimate goal is to put on enough muscle to be able to maintain on 2000 per day without exercise. Then my exercise will just be gravy.
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Yep, when I'm ready to maintain...one day...finally...I'll be eating in that range of calories. Or supposed to. I struggle to eat the cals I'm supposed to NOW for weight loss, but we'll see how it goes once I get there. I'm also taller and active, but yeah, like 1950 cals will be maintenance.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Is the 2,000 calorie diet a myth, and women who eat that will be slowly gaining weight?
    WHO is that average woman that can eat 2,000?

Pick me! Pick me!!!!

I'm recovering from an illness and completely sedentary. Meaning, I'm only getting up to take care of my kids and walk to the bathroom. Only taking 2-5k steps per day, ZERO exercise and I'm burning 1800-2100 per day. Let me say that again....

***SEDENTARY, ZERO EXERCISE AND BURNING AN AVERAGE OF 2,000 PER DAY.***

I have a FitBit Flex that calculates my TDEE very accurately. When I'm active and strength train 3x per week, I maintain on 2,700+ calories a day. So, no. It's not a myth. Strength train to maintain or build LBM and eat enough so your metabolism isn't damaged. Then, one day (hopefully this won't happen), if you happen to fall ill and have to sit on your butt for a month, you will still get to eat 2,000 a day and not go hangry....only stir-crazy.

BTW, I'm 5'7 3/4" and weigh 157. Low 20s bf%, so I'm carrying some muscle mass. Muscle is good ladies!! You burn massive calories and get to eat all the good foods!
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Is the 2,000 calorie diet a myth, and women who eat that will be slowly gaining weight?
    WHO is that average woman that can eat 2,000?

Pick me! Pick me!!!!

I'm recovering from an illness and completely sedentary. Meaning, I'm only getting up to take care of my kids and walk to the bathroom. Only taking 2-5k steps per day, ZERO exercise and I'm burning 1800-2100 per day. Let me say that again....

***SEDENTARY, ZERO EXERCISE AND BURNING AN AVERAGE OF 2,000 PER DAY.***

I have a FitBit Flex that calculates my TDEE very accurately. When I'm active and strength train 3x per week, I maintain on 2,700+ calories a day. So, no. It's not a myth. Strength train to maintain or build LBM and eat enough so your metabolism isn't damaged. Then, one day (hopefully this won't happen), if you happen to fall ill and have to sit on your butt for a month, you will still get to eat 2,000 a day and not go hangry....only stir-crazy.

BTW, I'm 5'7 3/4" and weigh 157. Low 20s bf%, so I'm carrying some muscle mass. Muscle is good ladies!! You burn massive calories and get to eat all the good foods!

Exactly why I'm hell-bent on increasing my muscle mass. And I want a FitBit. Lol
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    My TDEE is 2300 and I eat around 2100 to lose weight. (And I just spent last week on vacation eating between 3500-4000 - yes, it was an AWESOME vacation! - and I gained two pounds that were gone as of today, so I'm assuming that was just my glycogen levels being restored.)
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    I'm maintaining on about 2000-2300 calories a day including rest days. I'm 5' 2'' 124lbs. and lift weights/play hockey.
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    To maintain I have to eat 2000 calories a day...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member

At my height and weight, MFP has my maintenance (for sedentary) at 2230.

I have had my goal at 1800 calories for most of this year. No... I did not always stay at 1800 calories. Guesstimating, I would say I ate at maintenance or higher 6 to 8 times a month.

I'm having some hormone issues.

Why can I not ask a general nutrition question without giving a complete breakdown of my diet/fitness/macro-ratios and overall general health? My diary is my business... if I don't want anyone poking around in it, then that is my choice.

And yes, jonnythan, I deleted you... because you champion IIFYM, then wagged your finger at me when I let you in my diary!!
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Interesting topic. I'm awfully close to the 2,000 cal mark- 5'4", 138 lbs, and I've been maintaining for a month at 2100-2200 calories a day. I'm hoping that I can increase my LBM and see that number go a little higher, but I'm happy at more than 2,000 a day :)
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member

HAHA I get it. :)
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    My TDEE is 2300 and I eat around 2100 to lose weight. (And I just spent last week on vacation eating between 3500-4000 - yes, it was an AWESOME vacation! - and I gained two pounds that were gone as of today, so I'm assuming that was just my glycogen levels being restored.)

Oh man, I want that vacation and outcome afterwards! :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

Ugh.

And this is why you will *never* be on my FL.
  • I'm 5'9 and maintain at 2500-3000 a day depending on my activity level (but seriously I am hungry on anything less than 2200). I accept that I'm not average but from the other women I see around me 2000 a day seems about right (different if you are 4'10 I imagine!)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member

At my height and weight, MFP has my maintenance (for sedentary) at 2230.

I have had my goal at 1800 calories for most of this year. No... I did not always stay at 1800 calories. Guesstimating, I would say I ate at maintenance or higher 6 to 8 times a month.

I'm having some hormone issues.

Why can I not ask a general nutrition question without giving a complete breakdown of my diet/fitness/macro-ratios and overall general health? My diary is my business... if I don't want anyone poking around in it, then that is my choice.

And yes, jonnythan, I deleted you... because you champion IIFYM, then wagged your finger at me when I let you in my diary!!

No one's asking to see your diary or berating you or anything like that.

Joy simply asked how you know your maintenance because of other questions you asked earlier. I wondered the same thing when I read this post.
    And, I'm sorry, but you can't ask people to isolate your posts and only respond to them on an individual basis. If you post something about having trouble losing weight, and then post that you aren't logging/tracking/weighing, and THEN post that you know what your maintenance is.....well, people are going to put 1+1+1 together and come to a conclusion about what your problem might be. And then, they may even offer advice on how to fix your issue (medical conditions aside).

That's how MFP works. That's how I've seen you work in the forums many times. Don't be surprised and upset when people ask questions about inconsistent posts.

^ This.