Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    binge.gif?w=645
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat a handful or two of Wonka's Bottle Caps in a few minutes, followed later by a few Everlasting Gobstoppers. Should I update my will first? Who wants my 12 bags of Tootsie Pops once I'm gone?
    *waves and jumps up and down*
    I'll take them. I have some calories left today and no sugar phobias. :laugh:
  • JBnyc99
    JBnyc99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat a handful or two of Wonka's Bottle Caps in a few minutes, followed later by a few Everlasting Gobstoppers. Should I update my will first? Who wants my 12 bags of Tootsie Pops once I'm gone?

You got it! I have plenty for everyone,...and we might as well enjoy them before our livers give out. I got first dibs on blueberry!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You're right, OP - a calorie is not a calorie.

It's a unicorn.

This is a far better response than mine. If only you'd had a unicorn jpeg.

I'll go one better. A unicorn gif.

tumblr_m6g9c2cXhM1rvrheto1_500.gif

A++++++
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Ummm Researchers at Harvard University and University of Pittsburgh. Of course I am sure you know much more than experts in their fields BTW Harvard is ranked the number one institution for obesity research by many "experts" However I know MFPers know a unicorn when they see one, cuz they are such fanciful thinkers stuck to "Baaahhhh "a calorie is a calorie"
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    nobody suggests that the Twinkie Diet is the one you should chose to adopt and yes when you have little to lose and are small having 1300 cals worth of junk isn't going to fill you up, but that doesn't mean that if I eat 2000 cals worth of veggies I am not going to gain weight. In fact it's almost easier to follow the Twinkie diet, because the packet will tell me exactly what's in it whilst my green beans don't really come with that.

Please do post again when you have proof that eating large amounts of veggies won't make you gain weight, cause as a vegetarian I super interested in that ...
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    There-s-a-Lady-Gaga-gif-for-that-Don-t-Care-lady-gaga-22182730-500-281.gif
  • poohpoohpeapod
    Options
    nobody suggests that the Twinkie Diet is the one you should chose to adopt and yes when you have little to lose and are small having 1300 cals worth of junk isn't going to fill you up, but that doesn't mean that if I eat 2000 cals worth of veggies I am not going to gain weight. In fact it's almost easier to follow the Twinkie diet, because the packet will tell me exactly what's in it whilst my green beans don't really come with that.

Please do post again when you have proof that eating large amounts of veggies won't make you gain weight, cause as a vegetarian I super interested in that ...
    WTH? vegetables? Nobody said anything about veggies, you make no sense.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Cutting edge experts say the "calories in, calories out", philosophy is oversimplified and inadequate. Quality of calories determnes the quantity your body burns or stores.

Fiber: delays the absorbtion of calories. For example, when you eat a 160 calorie portion of almonds, you absorb 130 calories because some calories are delivered to your intestine, where your gut bacteria burn them for their own energy source

How does delaying the absorption of food make the caloric value different?

Protein: You use twice as much energy to metabolize protein as carbohydrate- due to thermic effect of food. Protein reduces hunger hormones more than carbs do.

That is well established - not cutting edge. Also, TEF impacts TDEE, it does not impact the unit known as a calorie.
    Carbs: starches (like potatoes) contain mainly glucose, which every cell in your body uses for energy.

Are you saying that no other carb converts into glucose?

Fructose-- found in soda and candy and added to most processed foods--is metabolized in your liver as fat, which drives chronic diseases such as diabetes.

On a caloric deficit?

You do realize that fructose is found in fruit I hope.

Edited to fix quotes
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Although, I have to say, I am amused by the gut flora aspect. Because if you can treat C. dificile with a pill made of human poop, maybe a poop pill can be created with the feces of lean people to help with weight loss!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Agreed :smile:

Quality of calories determnes the quantity your body burns or stores.
    No.

If you really expect anybody to believe this completely unsubstantiated malarkey, please explain which organ in the body grades/checks the "quality" of calories and makes the decision to burn or store them. Also explain how this process subverts energy balance/basic thermodynamics and allows the body to store anything while in a caloric deficit. While you're at it, please provide an objective definition of how to determine the "quality" of calories - preferably based upon peer-reviewed scientific research rather than some "sugar is da debil" hysteria.
  • reasons2lie
    Options
    So much hostility. Granted the OP should have provided a link to the study for some credibility, but this idea is not impossible. If we think about it, we are lead to believe that low fat high carb diet is healthy and help prevent heart disease for years which couldn't be further from the truth. I'm not saying what the OP say is true/ not true, but I always keep an open mind about new information. Carb and fructose will be store in our fat cells if we over indulge. I guess its easier to overdo sodas and items with added sugars cause they are usually empty calories and doesn't fill you up.

From personal experience, when I was attending UW I barely ate, maybe 900 ish (eat once at dinner when I get home) calories a day plus a can of energy drink and sometime a coke. Yet I was gaining a lot of weight over 40 lbs (125lb to 167lb) in the course of the last 2 years. After I graduated took me 2 month to completely stopped all sodas and energy drink and only drink black coffee, I started losing some of the weight eating 3 meals a day again. Then I started MFP last month and lost an additional 7 lbs ( only 12 more until I'm back to my original weight). I've always had a really high metabolism and could eat w/e I wanted but ever since I habitually drank energy drink I started put on pounds really fast. I was getting stretch mark on my stomach which scared me and made me realize i need to lose some weight. Of course this is not proof of anything cause it could just me by body reacts differently to high sugar content than other people. However, this theory is interesting and maybe we don't know as much about calories as we think.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    There is a saying:

Dont be so open minded that your brain falls out.

tumblr_mrid9tRQgh1rjlcwbo1_250.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    So much hostility. Granted the OP should have provided a link to the study for some credibility, but this idea is not impossible. If we think about it, we are lead to believe that low fat high carb diet is healthy and help prevent heart disease for years which couldn't be further from the truth. I'm not saying what the OP say is true/ not true, but I always keep an open mind about new information. Carb and fructose will be store in our fat cells if we over indulge. I guess its easier to overdo sodas and items with added sugars cause they are usually empty calories and doesn't fill you up.

From personal experience, when I was attending UW I barely ate, maybe 900 ish (eat once at dinner when I get home) calories a day plus a can of energy drink and sometime a coke. Yet I was gaining a lot of weight over 40 lbs (125lb to 167lb) in the course of the last 2 years. After I graduated took me 2 month to completely stopped all sodas and energy drink and only drink black coffee, I started losing some of the weight eating 3 meals a day again. Then I started MFP last month and lost an additional 7 lbs ( only 12 more until I'm back to my original weight). I've always had a really high metabolism and could eat w/e I wanted but ever since I habitually drank energy drink I started put on pounds really fast. I was getting stretch mark on my stomach which scared me and made me realize i need to lose some weight. Of course this is not proof of anything cause it could just me by body reacts differently to high sugar content than other people. However, this theory is interesting and maybe we don't know as much about calories than we think.

Oh.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options

You got it! I have plenty for everyone,...and we might as well enjoy them before our livers give out. I got first dibs on blueberry!

Oh Geez! I don't know how to tell you this . . . the blue one isn't blueberry!

*whispers*: that's grape . . .
  • 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Options

From personal experience, when I was attending UW I barely ate, maybe 900 ish (eat once at dinner when I get home) calories a day plus a can of energy drink and sometime a coke. Yet I was gaining a lot of weight over 40 lbs (125lb to 167lb) in the course of the last 2 years. After I graduated took me 2 month to completely stopped all sodas and energy drink and only drink black coffee, I started losing some of the weight eating 3 meals a day again. Then I started MFP last month and lost an additional 7 lbs ( only 12 more until I'm back to my original weight). I've always had a really high metabolism and could eat w/e I wanted but ever since I habitually drank energy drink I started put on pounds really fast. I was getting stretch mark on my stomach which scared me and made me realize i need to lose some weight. Of course this is not proof of anything cause it could just me by body reacts differently to high sugar content than other people. However, this theory is interesting and maybe we don't know as much about calories as we think.

Were they purple stretch marks? Was most of your weight gain in the abdomen? You may have had excess cortisol due to stress. If you were truly eating 900/day and gaining rapidly you probably had an endocrine disorder. I bet you are sleeping better and your skin has improved too.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    Options
    If all calories are the same as you say, then how can diabetes type 2 be reversed with diet? i was not posting this as a study. I read it in an obesity journal in my Dr's office. The research was done at Harvard and University of Penn. I just found it interesting. The fact that you so vehemently disagree , and are saying that top researchers are wrong, and you (on MFP) know better...ummm ok.:noway: l
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Cutting edge experts say the "calories in, calories out", philosophy is oversimplified and inadequate. Quality of calories determnes the quantity your body burns or stores.

Fiber: delays the absorbtion of calories. For example, when you eat a 160 calorie portion of almonds, you absorb 130 calories because some calories are delivered to your intestine, where your gut bacteria burn them for their own energy source

How does delaying the absorption of food make the caloric value different?

Protein: You use twice as much energy to metabolize protein as carbohydrate- due to thermic effect of food. Protein reduces hunger hormones more than carbs do.

That is well established - not cutting edge. Also, TEF impacts TDEE, it does not impact the unit known as a calorie.
    Carbs: starches (like potatoes) contain mainly glucose, which every cell in your body uses for energy.

Are you saying that no other carb converts into glucose?

Fructose-- found in soda and candy and added to most processed foods--is metabolized in your liver as fat, which drives chronic diseases such as diabetes.

On a caloric deficit?

You do realize that fructose is found in fruit I hope.

Edited to fix quotes

Quoting this to bring to the OP's attention to answer the questions
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    And an inch is not an inch.

A pound is not a pound!

A kilowatt is not a kilowatt!

But A kiss is just a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Ummm Researchers at Harvard University and University of Pittsburgh. Of course I am sure you know much more than experts in their fields BTW Harvard is ranked the number one institution for obesity research by many "experts" However I know MFPers know a unicorn when they see one, cuz they are such fanciful thinkers stuck to "Baaahhhh "a calorie is a calorie"
    Says no such thing on the study at Harvard. Here's the link:
    http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/06/when-a-calorie-is-not-just-a-calorie/

Reducing refined carbs may help maintain weight loss better than reducing fat

That's not the same as saying "a calorie is not a calorie".

This is from the University of Pittsburg:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304458604577490943279845790.html

A second study in the same medical journal showed that people in an 18-month weight-loss program that started with monthly meetings lost nearly as much weight as those in a much costlier program of the same duration with group sessions that initially met weekly. That study, led by researchers at the University of Pittsburgh, found that the monthly program cut about $600 off the cost of a $1,360 traditional weight-loss program with the weekly classes.
    All that's spoken of hear is the differences in cost of programs.

Thanks for playing though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
This discussion has been closed.