Will doing squats make a flat butt bigger?

Options
12346»

Replies

• tanyadolan1
    tanyadolan1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite proble...I am trying to get rid of mine
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I was ready to give him the benefit of the doubt and think that maybe he posted in the wrong thread accidentally. But then he kept replying, so yeah............. What's his obsession with periods, anyway? :laugh:

I don't think we want to know... some things are better left... unsaid, you know? :laugh:

True!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My body building friends are BIG fans of the all you can eat sushi places. They run up hundreds of dollars of bills- they NEED the food/protein.

I'll do squats/deads til I puke for that, right there! :drinker:

yeah-on am TOTALLY with you there.

I go with a few of them-and the Sushi place HATES them... they are both well into 200 lbs- one is a professional- the other amateur- both huge. I can do 2 plates maybe of good -'clean' sushi as they say- not a lot of sauces or fried stuff- just straight fish and veggies- little rice. so at a regular place- it's maybe 40-60$ of sushi.

I think i watched the two of them eat probably 500$ worth of sushi in 2 hours. It was just so.much. for 25$ the sushi place seriously LOST. LOL

I was angry- and jealous. and then angry some more LOL.
  • Tashia_HH
    Tashia_HH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Only one way to find out. Doing squats certainly won't hurt, and if it doesn't get bigger, you'll at least be stronger. Not everyone has the genetics to be Kim Kardashian or Nicky MInaj, though.

They don't have the genetics either...lol
  • rowrunyoga
    rowrunyoga Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Why are some people telling the girl that she needs to eat at a "surplus"? LOL..... For one women have Menstrual Cycle's, those can wreck havoc on ones blood sugar level and that is what can cause food cravings. Some women (older I'm sure) can also have PMS, which can cause depression, which a lot of people when feeling down, eat comfort food... so no, eat at a calorie deficit at all times, eat less, not more to get defined & exercise to get toned... At 5'5" & 142lbs Im sure you already look fine but that depends on your build. petite, medium or heavy boned? Everyone has a butt, even me. However if you have a layer of belly fay creating a muffin top then that can be giving the illusion that you have no butt. You have a butt Im sure, its in there somewhere...lol

I would suggest eating clean & healthy, drink water & be the best that god designed your body to be... Jogging, walking, bike riding and some minor weight training can help build and sculpt your body and of course, your butt... look at female weight lifters butts... They all have back, and so will you, but its up to you & your level of dedication. GO FOR IT!!!

ofEnRFv.jpg?1

Not sure if I should laugh or cry...
  • jimlambrt2
    jimlambrt2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Posterior chain gains will give you a bigger booty.

Weighted Hip Thrusters, Romanian Deadlifts and Glute-Ham Raises really hammer the posterior chain. Squats, Deadlifts, Lunges hit it as well.

Recovery is just as important as lifting. Exercise breaks down muscle. Muscle grows (gets bigger) during recovery. What makes up recovery: food and sleep are the primary components. You have to EAT some sort of surplus if you want to grow and you have to SLEEP.

(Posterior chain lifts + Food + Sleep) x Time (months of work) = bodacious booty.
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Donkey kicks and and everything jimlambrt2 said... also i think jillian michaels has a dvd or at least some exercises that work on that you can look at. I know when i was doing some of her stuff for my wedding my butt did get a little more pronounced and firmer, and i didn't have a butt.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I had an *kitten* that looked like I'd been smacked with a shovel. It was flat from sitting at a desk all day and genetics. Squats are the best thing for a more muscular butt. This doesn't mean that you will get a big butt. Mine is rounder and firmer but still more flat and wide. I tend towards a skinny *kitten*.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Posterior chain gains will give you a bigger booty.

Weighted Hip Thrusters, Romanian Deadlifts and Glute-Ham Raises really hammer the posterior chain. Squats, Deadlifts, Lunges hit it as well.

Recovery is just as important as lifting. Exercise breaks down muscle. Muscle grows (gets bigger) during recovery. What makes up recovery: food and sleep are the primary components. You have to EAT some sort of surplus if you want to grow and you have to SLEEP.

(Posterior chain lifts + Food + Sleep) x Time (months of work) = bodacious booty.

QFT.

Dead lifts, glute bridges and hip thrusts, walking dumbbell lunges and barbell lunges are my favorite glute exercises. Squats are great but you have to work your glutes and get them firing well or they may not do much during your squats which is where those other exercises come in.

There are however many variations of body weight squats, be sure to mix them up so you hit the leg muscles especially the glutes in different ways. Squats with pulses at the bottom, the plié squat, or the basic squat with a donkey kick are examples.

ETA: you might check out Bret Contreras' book and program called Strong Curves. I have done it, and I highly recommend it. He's known as the "glute master." :wink:
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Gak, too much cray-cray from Ronny boy.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Eat more

Lift heavy (squats, step ups, lunges, kickbacks laterally, hip thrusters) Always focus on squeezing your glutes :) if you ain't squeezing you ain't getting cheeky!!!

Example of my glutes routine:
    Warm up: walking from my car to the squat rack

Squats : 95lbs 2 sets of 25
    135 lbs 2 sets of 10
    155 lbs 1 set of 8

lunges: 90 lbs 25 reps on each leg 4 sets

Hip Thrust on floor: 2 sets 135 lbs 25 reps
    1 sets 185 lbs 15 reps
    1 set 225 lbs 12 reps
    1 set 315 lbs 8 reps

Cable kickbacks laterally each leg : 1 set 30 lbs 25-35 reps
    1 set 40 lbs 25 reps
    1 set 50 lbs 25 reps
    1 set 60 lbs 15 reps

Reverse hacksquat: I burn them out :)

Then plyo jump squats, walking lunges, bosu squats etc....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    oh box jumps.

no one said box jumps- how could we have missed that!