Misinformation

Options

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Interested to see what misinformation people have been told...

personally my favourite is fat makes you fat. So wrong...:laugh:

^^^^ this and that refined sugar (the white stuff) is what makes you diabetic... SOOOOOOO WRONG, it is the bad carbs that raise a diabetic's blood sugars.

yesssss. I forgot about that last one about eating too much sugar makes you diabetic. :explode:
    That one makes me angry :blushing: :ohwell: :blushing:
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Exercise causes fat to turn into muscle

Often combined with

Muscle weighs more than fat

Muscle does weigh more then fat? that is a fact...its denser?

Most people will say that cement weighs more than feathers too.. it isnt worded right but everyone knows what they mean.. People like to rush in and try to correct these "idiots" because it makes them feel.. better..superior.. I dont know.. it does something for them though. LOL
  • romancefan1983
    romancefan1983 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If a woman picks up something heavy and puts it down, she will undoubtedly turn into she-hulk.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    If a woman picks up something heavy and puts it down, she will undoubtedly turn into she-hulk.

:laugh: :laugh:

you laugh but someone obviously started this rumour and its spread all over the place
    my friend said to me last week why am i using dumbells do i want to have muscles
    and another said she gains muscles very quickly as soon as she uses dumbells.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Interested to see what misinformation people have been told...

personally my favourite is fat makes you fat. So wrong...:laugh:

^^^^ this and that refined sugar (the white stuff) is what makes you diabetic... SOOOOOOO WRONG, it is the bad carbs that raise a diabetic's blood sugars.

^^this misinformation. Carbs whether white, brown, fresh, or processed raise blood sugars. NONE of which will CAUSE diabetes. The causes for Diabetes are:

Type 1-genetics. Its autoimmune so we did nothing to cause it and there was no way to prevent it.
    Type 2-You are either no longer producing enough insulin to match the food you eat (genetics), or you are no longer able to use the insulin you are producing usually more common with overweight/obesity and can sometimes be corrected with diet and exercise.

as a type 1 diabetic I hate the terms "bad carbs" (there is no such thing as a good carb, bad carb. good food bad food) "you ate too much sugar" "sugar causes diabetes"
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Dairy is evil

Clean eating is the only way to go

Artificial sweeteners will kill you

Additionally, people who promote the aforementioned ideas often attempt to substantiate their claims by offering links to content authored by charlatans.
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    "Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat! A pound of fat is the same as a pound of muscle!"

That's the biggest misunderstanding I see here. No duh a pound of x weighs as much as a pound of y. Absolutely no one thinks otherwise. The rest of us just have the critical thinking skills to understand that the constant is the volume.

Same people who rush in to correct your and you're....
  • Erica6130
    Erica6130 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    "This exercise is suitable for people of all shapes and sizes."

:laugh:
    said the silly little twigget pilates instructor :laugh:

she actually came over & adjusted me & then scolded me as for not being able to hold the position....

her after my leg refused to stay at awkward angle: when I adjust you, you need to stay there
    Me: :grumble:

in my head: never. coming. to. this. class. again.
    :huh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    "you should stop eating x amount of hours before bed to lose weight"
    "1200 calories = weight loss"
    "low carb = weight loss"
    "all sugar is the devil in edible form"
    " there is too much fat in nuts and nut butter"
    "you NEED 100+ grams of protein per day"
    "you NEED to drink protein shakes to see results"

And the ultimate lie which makes me cringe every time I hear it:

"FRUIT MAKES YOU FAT"
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Anything from Dr. Oz
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Generalizations about nationalities and physique -- i.e. people that say they have:
    "Russian metabolism"
    "Greek hips"
    "German butt"
    etc.

Not to say that people don't have some regional characteristics or diet that can be a contribution (some nations have heavier weight average than others) but particularly Americans that will attribute their 1/8th Greek heritage to the fact that they have big hips or like to eat.

I like to joke that my Eastern European peasant heritage has given me thick arms and legs and hips built for squatting in a field, pushing out a kid, and then keep right on plowing, lol. I'm mostly joking, but it probably does impact my *shape,* but certainly not my *size,* knowwhatimean? :drinker:

Anyway, my favorite is "starvation mode" (applied to me and my 1500 calorie/day consumption). Honey, I'm 32 years old and 5'5" and I weigh over 2 bucks. MY body isn't going to be "starving" anytime soon, lol.

*Edited for grammar, mostly. Grrr.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    "It's this diet where you eat nothing but raspberries and spinach for a week. You're supposed to lose 10 lbs!"

Uh... no thanks.

(fyi, 5 days into the diet they had to stop because they felt sick.... didn't work)
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Actually a lof the things you all listed are correct under the right context.

Most of the statements are taken out of context...Making them misinformation.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Don't lift heavy things, you are a girl
    Lifting heavy makes you bulky
    eating more than 1200 calories will make you fat
    you have to give up sweets to lose weight
    losing weight means eating flavorless foods
    fast-food is the devil (except subways)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    "Potatoes are bad for you."
    Why?
    "Because they're white."

*facepalm*
  • NetmanNH
    Options
    Muscle is MUCH more dense than fat , which is what people REALLY mean, however they tend to communicate it incorrectly .. because as we all know, a pound is a pound is a pound
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Actually a lof the things you all listed are correct under the right context.

Most of the statements are taken out of context...Making them misinformation.

To be fair...you're right about that.
    It's when these things are boiled down to the simplest sound bite, where it becomes misinformation....

Except for the part about eating too much sugar *gives* you Diabetes.
    That's still facepalm worthy :laugh:
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I shave my head because I was going bald.

We know, we can still see the hair line =)
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    " eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up to kickstart your metabolism" :indifferent: