diet pills, shakes, meal replacements ....

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake occasionally for breakfast... but it doubles as my pre-workout as well since I workout in the morning.

Diet pills, NO. Been there years ago, not doing again.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between diet pills and meal replacement shakes. Diet pills are something that can be dangerous and should only be taken under medical supervision. ALWAYS.

Shakes, vitamin supplements, etc. are used as a convenient way to get more of a particular nutrient. Whey protein shakes are used just to get more protein. Multi are just a way to get more micro nutrients. All this is done knowing that only a calorie deficit will result in weight loss. Drinking a shake or taking a supplement alone will not result in weight loss.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    no. I use food in proper amounts.
  • supersmiles11
    supersmiles11 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I occasionally use build it up as a meal replacement as given by my doc. I'm actually trying to lose weight but because of cancer I'm also battling food is sometimes last thing on my mind so a shake helps me to keep strong but I always log. Only do it if really struggling as TBH I'd much rather have proper food anyday :-)
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I use the EAS shakes as well. I like them for quick after workout meals or when I need something quick on the go (like when I am running late for work). They taste better than others out there. The Rich Dark Chocolate is especially good.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I take a pre-workout mix to help me through cardio some days.

I also will take protein shakes after an intense workout or if I'm coming up short that day on my MACRO count.

For pills it's just vitamins. No "diet" pills. I've tried them and they've worked but want to do it all myself this time around.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. I thought everybody was here to support one another not to promote products. I thought I was getting help from a member and it turned out they wanted to sell me some things. No big deal but I'm not interested.

On the other hand I have looked into some protein powders because I find I don't get close to my protein for the day. But it is hard to find a good one with organic ingredients and soy free (I have food allergies).

I won't go near diet pills. When I was in high school I took some because my boyfriend at the time would monitor what I ate and thought I needed to lose weight (I was 5'4" and 118 lbs). I eventually ended up collapsing in school. Never again. I can't believe I thought I was fat then. I remember thinking my thighs were too fat when I was like 8-9 years old and I definitely didn't have a weight problem then.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I use EAS AdvantEdge protein drinks pretty frequently. 100-110 cal, 17g of protein, 2g net carbs. I work long hours some days and don't get a chance to actually stop to eat- these things are great for times like that, especially. I used to just not eat at all, by time I would get home in the evening, I wanted to eat my arm.

How are they? I'd like a shake that's not full of sugar that I can enjoy on occasion when I'm on the run with my toddler or at work between patients in the middle of the night.

You should try Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey. 120 cals, 3g carb (1g sugar), 1g fat, 24g protein in ONE scoop.
    I've never met a flavor I didn't like.... Favorites are double rich chocolate or cake batter mixed with unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    OK i"m curious how many people on here use one of these to help your weight loss ... ..because i ran across a couple people promoting some weight loss replacements and i got a lil annoyed ...guess i was naive cz i figured most on here did it the old fashion way..

ok wait , i realize everyone has there own journey and im not saying anything against the people who do ..im just curious to how many on this site actually take something ALL the time to help them...

nope none for me. i'm old fashioned. :)
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    OK i"m curious how many people on here use one of these to help your weight loss ... ..because i ran across a couple people promoting some weight loss replacements and i got a lil annoyed ...guess i was naive cz i figured most on here did it the old fashion way..

ok wait , i realize everyone has there own journey and im not saying anything against the people who do ..im just curious to how many on this site actually take something ALL the time to help them...

No offense but the smart people wont use this, the quick fixer looking for the latest diet plan that Dr.Oz is talking about, expects to lose 20lbs in a month cause they are going on vacation type will buy this crap.

No one should want to live their life having meal replacements.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope. I eat real food and don't need pills!!! (see ticker below) :bigsmile:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Never have, never will waste my money on dieting fads. I've just been eating less than I use to ;)
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Since I started tracking my macros I don't even take a multivitamin any more. Food is awesome, it gives you everything you need!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    No, no & no.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I had to do meal replacement shakes when I was going through a detox/diet change (Dr. prescribed. We were trying to figure out what foods I was sensitive to.)

I did lose weight, but that's because I wasn't....you know...eating? So...lol...yeah. It was basically a fast with supplemental shakes so I didn't pass out all the time.

It was terrible. I hate drinking my calories.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    tried diet shakes, and pills, it made me gain the weight. started eating, and exercising saw a major change
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I've been known to "borrow" a family member's amphetamines occasionally when trying to get a heavy project done. Helps me focus and keeps me up and moving. No appetite while taking them, but the next day I'm ravenous. The body knows what it needs and mine can't be fooled into skipping a day of eating.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

How are they? I'd like a shake that's not full of sugar that I can enjoy on occasion when I'm on the run with my toddler or at work between patients in the middle of the night.
    [/quote]

^^^ edited, quoting that^^^^

They aren't bad. I liked the Chocolate Fudge ones when I first started, but I can't take the taste anymore. Rich Dark Chocolate always had a bad taste to me. Now I go back and forth between Strawberry Cream and French Vanilla. Over ice seems to be pretty good, if not definitely refrigerated. Someone I was friends with on here had a Caramel one (I've never seen them in stores) which she said wasn't really very good.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I always have a protein shake after workouts. Sometimes I use Atkins brand products for treats because they're low in sugar and pretty tasty. I also take a "fat burner" which may or may not do a anything, but I got a great deal on them and I enjoy the caffeine.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    i make my own smoothies, but it's not like slim fast, herbalife, anything like that - just fresh or frozen fruit, milk, and protein powder... i'm on a tight budget and tight time schedule, so it's quick and simple for me to make at night after working late or in the morning before work.

Never took diet pills though, the ridiculous amount of caffeine will land me in the hospital, again...