What's the stupidest thing you've ever done to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    Eating a salad. :sick:
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    We have a local clinic called "Doctors Weight Loss". About 5 yrs ago I went there and they put me on a 500 cal a day diet, and I went in every day and a "doctor" took my blood pressure and weighed me. After a couple of weeks and about 22 lbs lost, I got so dizzy and disoriented while I was driving that I got in an accident. The accident was not serious and no one was hurt, but did make me realize that there was a better more healthy way to lose weight.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    So many too pick from but probably was the cabbage diet and the grapefruit diet. Both were extremely unappetizing and ridiculous. Also the all fruit diet was a huge mistake. Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night a few days after starting this one to spend hours in the bathroom. The things we do when we are young.
  • JBearsMom21
    JBearsMom21 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The grapefruit diet! I only lasted a day and a half haha. I also tried to do a week long juice fast and that didn't go very well either. I think that one lasted 3 days.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I tried chewing and spitting out foods that I craved. I got scared that I was going to develop an eating disorder that I couldn't stop doing at my own will so I only did it for about 2 weeks. My weight did not change during that time.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    The cabbage soup diet... and more recently SureSlim. It is based on super low calories and NO exercise... (Because you haven't got the energy to move) I quit when my hair started falling out. I decided I'd rather be fat than bald. I thought that was my only choice. PLUS I was so hungry all the time, I was pretty mean to everyone.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot about that herbal tea that gives a person diarrhea all night! THAT was the stupidest thing I've ever done. Agghh.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Phentermine a couple of times, cabbage soup, laxatives (now I've got IBS).

Worst thing I've heard is the trend for young girls/women with diabetes who don't take their insulin! :noway:
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    HCG. I lasted for three weeks before the headaches became intolerable. I lost about 15 lbs but felt like crap the whole time and stopped. Totally ridiculous thing to do.
  • nedtoloseme
    nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Went to a class guaranteed to lose weight. When I got to the class was told to close my eyes & think of myself small. This wonderful class cost me $25 & my dignity. Lol
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I tried Alli for a period of time. That was not actually the stupidest for me, because they have you on an 1800 cal diet to start (dep on your starting weight) and then you take the pills to 'block fat' absorption, but I think I was probably (like most people) losing weight from the diet not the blocked fat.

Anyway, fat is good for me, and I wish I knew the things I know now back then.

But the stupidest thing I ever did was listen to my doctor when she told me to go on a 1200 cal/day diet. My hair started falling out and I was tired all the time. 1200 with not enough protien =/= healthy weight loss for a 288 lbs woman.
  • ziggification
    ziggification Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tried to catch colds to lose weight while sick...
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    Basically starving my self and doing insane amounts of cardio...In wrestling though I used to wear tons of clothes and wear a plastic garbage bag over me so I'd sweat out even more....we did lots of dumb stuff to loose temporary weight in wrestling
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    For a short time several years ago I was taking STRONG laxatives on the weekend when I would eat a lot of food. I only did this for a brief time because I hated the stomach pains and was fortunately smart enough to realize it's terrible for your body to do that and ultimately does not really work.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I ate grapefruit for breakfast and lunch, and salad for supper. kept that up for over a week, until I passed out. Mom took me to the doctor and discovered I was anemic.
  • alisha_1983
    alisha_1983 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I went on a celery diet in college once. The theory was that it took more calories to digest the celery than was in the actual celery itself. I lasted 3 days....Not a good idea :noway:
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Options
    Bulimia.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The Cabbage Soup diet. :/
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    My coworkers all got on a kick from some lady about these diet pills. They were all losing weight. They all eventually stopped and gained more back. My stupid thing was taking the same pills with Korean writing all over them even after my coworker experienced chest pains. I discontinued their use when I found MFP and read horror stories about heart problems and diet pills.

I was also bulimic for a few months. I would bring my breakfast and lunch to work, light stuff, and my excuse was that I could eat a hearty dinner. But that dinner sat in my stomach like a rock and I would end up almost having a panic attack due to guilt and that overly full feeling, so I would purge.

I was also in a very stressful relationship at the time. Ex BF was on vyvanse for ADHD which kills your appetite and causes you to lose weight. He seemed to think it was fun to bring up the fact that he lost 40lbs without trying and weighed less than me (granted, no definition. ... He didn't work out). I laughed with him but inside it made me feel awful and like a failure.

I got so obsessive with my MFP logging that I had to quit for a while. I would freak out and spend an hour or two considering whether to get a chicken sandwich or a bowl of Chili from the local restaurants.

Weight loss isn't supposed to cause you that kind of stress. Now that I'm in s better situation and working out again regularly, I can track my food and not flip out. This is a common problem that gets teases about a lot in the forums but it's easy to get too obsessed with logging, etc to where is actually detrimental to your life and happiness.

If this is you, just realize the slower you lose, the easier it will be to keep off. Work on having fitness goals too so you feel accomplished. And for the love of God, don't let that scale rule your life. If you're checking in on it too much, put it away and weigh monthly or bi weekly.

Edited to add: did you know forcibly throwing up repeatedly not only increases your risk of esophageal cancer, but it can cause you to rupture your retina and eventually blind you? Yeah. ... so glad that's behind me. I like my eyes.
  • pandamonium1987
    pandamonium1987 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1) A classmate at University commented on how much weight I've gained over the years, then suggested I try her soup diet. (By the way, this girl is now almost wider than she is tall... I know I'm horrid, but the thought made me happy) It's basically just a brothy vegetable soup, actually quite nice tasting. I ate only that for a month. It made me terribly ill. I felt lethargic all the time, and I wanted to barf when I thought about the soup. I swear, at times I thought I smelled like the soup.... This shall henceforth be known as the soup-era of my academic career...

2) I would stop eating. I tried to dampen my hunger pains with bitter, black coffee and cigarettes. (But in high school I didn't smoke and I simply drank a lot of water). Nowadays, I can't stand black coffee.

3) I stuck my finger down my throat. This escalated when I went to University. I felt guilty after a night out because of all the "empty" calories in beer, so I made myself vomit.

Even after years of self loathing and destructive crap, I still catch myself contemplating drastic, stupid things.