Became a vegetarian today, help!

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Gotta love all the people on mfp thrownin around theatric words "peer reviewed" as if it means a study's findings are the researchers theories are iron clad. Just because something is peer reviewed doesn't mean it's a fact or that there aren't variables that weren't addressed. Lol #internetscience
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    What a shame...the OP asked for help and advice, what did she get? The usual bollocks...
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    What a shame...the OP asked for help and advice, what did she get? The usual bollocks...
    Just because the answer doesn't start with "yes, that's a great plan" doesn't mean it's not good advice!
  • VeganLexi
    Options
    Just because the answer doesn't start with "yes, that's a great plan" doesn't mean it's not good advice!

She wasn't asking for validation, she wanted some tips...simples.

ETA I live up the road from you! Saltaire here...small world.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians live an average of 7 years longer than meat eaters, and meat consumption is absolutely 100% linked to cancer and heart disease.

Lolwut?

I don't think you quite understand what you just said there. If eating meat is "absolutely 100% linked to cancer and heart disease", you are essentially saying that anyone who ever eats meat ever, WILL die from cancer and heart disease. And you, a vegelitist yahoo are completely 100% immune from cancer and heart disease. Is that really what you meant to say? Well. hot damn! You found the cure for cancer?? Stop the presses and contact the surgeon general! :laugh:

:noway:
  • VeganLexi
    Options
    Vegetarians live an average of 7 years longer than meat eaters, and meat consumption is absolutely 100% linked to cancer and heart disease.

Lolwut?

I don't think you quite understand what you just said there. If eating meat is "absolutely 100% linked to cancer and heart disease", you are essentially saying that anyone who ever eats meat ever, WILL die from cancer and heart disease. And you, a vegelitist yahoo are completely 100% immune from cancer and heart disease. Is that really what you meant to say? Well. hot damn! You found the cure for cancer?? Stop the presses and contact the surgeon general! :laugh:

:noway:

Erm... I'm pretty much 100% certain that the post that you have just quoted wasn't intended to be serious....#justsaying
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    She wasn't asking for validation, she wanted some tips...simples.

ETA I live up the road from you! Saltaire here...small world.

And she got some tips - just they were general tips at what she wanted, disagreeing with how she wanted to do it :).
    I want to be healthy ad young looking for as long as possible that I should be!
    I am posting this for any tips and advice someone might have for me!

And normally, yes... but I'm actually working in Kent at the moment!
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I applaud your resolve, I went vegetarian about 9 months ago and I love it.There are some times that I want to eat meat, but they are always when it is a convience problem, like when I am traveling or when I am out with a bunch of friends at a resturant that has almost zero vegetarian options, not because I am craving it. I really posted to tell you what my favorite thing to eat is,

Quinoa about 1/3 cup
    Black beans 1/2cup
    1/2 avocado
    tomato
    onion
    and a sauce, I have a whole array, just depends on what I am hungry for, like sirracha,teriaki, hawaiian, sometimes even a little BBQ sauce!

This is so good and so healthy for you! Good Luck and send a friend request if you need meal suggestions.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I actually sorta respect vegans/vegetarians more who do it out of their moral convictions rather than the generic "to be healthy" reasoning. I mean hell, if you want to go against nature and fundamentally change your life, might as well have a strong reason for it
    There is plenty of evidence that a diet high in red meats is linked to type 2 diabetes, heart disease & high blood pressure, which I happen to have neither...
    Hey man, I hear old age is heavily correlated with a higher chance of heart disease and high blood pressure. Also I don't seem to have diabetes, sickle cells, cancer, brittle bones and a plethora of other diseases, but I'm not quite yet at the point where I attribute my miraculous condition 100% to my food choices

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be healthy and live a long, disease free life, if possible. I constantly get my mom to eat as much of what I do because I want her to be just as healthy as I am because I love her and want her to be around for as long as possible, to see her grand kids grow up, to see ME grow up. There is nothing wrong with being healthy. You can have ethics and be healthy.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    If you understand how the vegan food triangle works then there's no worrying about getting proper nutrition. A well stocked salad w/ some fruit & low fat cottage cheese on the side for example has plenty of vitamins & minerals. Eating vegan is pretty easy, you just have to be a bit creative in the kitchen to really enjoy it...
    Wait. Cottage cheese is vegan now?
  • Jplante312
    Jplante312 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    After I watched and read Fast Food nation I stopped eating beef. I under stand why you want to go vegan or vegetarian. For the most part with out junk food it is healthier. Good luck I do mostly meatless Mondays and try to eat more fish and veggie burgers.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    After I watched and read Fast Food nation I stopped eating beef. I under stand why you want to go vegan or vegetarian. For the most part with out junk food it is healthier. Good luck I do mostly meatless Mondays and try to eat more fish and veggie burgers.

just because its on video or a documentary doesnt meal it is real
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    There are different types of vegetarians......

semi vegetarian- (me) one that cuts all red meats & fish but eats occasional chicken.

Lacto ovo vegetarian - a vegetarian that excludes all chicken, red meats & fish but includes all dairy.

Lacto- vegetarian- a vegetarian that excludes all red meats/fish & chicken as well as eggs and any product containing eggs but still drinks milk & eats cheese.

then of course, vegan... a vegetarian that excludes all animal products entirely.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think this person just wants help making the adjustment to being vegetarian - it isn't helping to debate whether vegetarianism is healthy or not, or healthier than eating meat - that is for another thread I think. While there are loads of references in popular books and academic medical journals which point to vegetarians/vegans living longer and healthier lives, for instance the American Journal of Medicine says that 97% of heart attacks would be avoided by a veggie diet, among others, and The near-vegan diet designed by Dean Ornish in the 90's is the first ever to halt and even reverse heart disease, the list goes on - my point is that somebody is not wrong simply because they have left their references out, so let's give them a break and just answer their question.

I am 99% vegetarian and have been veggie for over 10 years, and if you need any help or advice on something specific, let me know. I have made veggie dishes tasty and desirable for even the most avid meat eaters. I recommend getting some great-looking vegetarian cookbooks, because if you are used to eating "meat and two veg" type meals, you may not actually know how to cook tasty vegetarian meals. Sure, there are fake meat products like soy burgers and tofu dogs, but what I mean is that you need to learn how to make good, tasty meals that started out vegetable - that aren't modifications of better-tasting meat dishes. I was eating vegetarian in Alabama for years before I officially became "vegetarian" - In my home, we just had so many good vegetables, we weren't really concerned if there was meat on the plate - we certainly didn't miss it if it wasn't there. My in-laws, for instance, cook me a hunk of "veggie meat" plus peas and potatoes. Other than meat, the only thing they know how to cook is fake meat. They cannot actually fathom a real vegetarian meal. So get yourself some great cookbooks, and in the meantime, look at this website for ideas:

This one is good if you are vegan, but it may be a bit strict for you at first, 'cause a lot of these recipes use fake eggs or vegan cheese - I just make them vegetarian by using real cheese, real eggs, real milk etc.

http://vegweb.com/

Also, it doesn't hurt to give this one a try, and search for "vegetarian" recipes (though maybe search for "healthy" "vegetarian) because these people can use butter and cream and stuff - remember if you use the recipes from this website, substitute healthier fats such as olive oil instead of butter; use low fat/fat free mayos and cheeses when you can, etc. etc.

http://allrecipes.com/
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    There are different types of vegetarians......

semi vegetarian- (me) one that cuts all red meats & fish but eats occasional chicken.

Lacto ovo vegetarian - a vegetarian that excludes all chicken, red meats & fish but includes all dairy.

Lacto- vegetarian- a vegetarian that excludes all red meats/fish & chicken as well as eggs and any product containing eggs but still drinks milk & eats cheese.

then of course, vegan... a vegetarian that excludes all animal products entirely.
    Here are some more:

Pollotarians eat chicken (that's you), pescetarians eat fish/seafood, pollo-pescetarians eat chicken/fish/seafood, ovo-vegetarians eat eggs... Semi-vegetarians, of as I prefer to call them, flexitarians, will occasionally eat meat (could be beef, could be fish, whatever). I'm sure there's more, too.
  • Erin70CA
    Options
    Hello,

I am on board with the Vegetarian thing as well now. I was going to try Vegan but I found "true" free range eggs through a local farmer. She has allowed me to see how the chickens live. I prefer almond milk to dairy anyways, so I will be avoiding milk products whenever I can.

I don't judge those who eat meat, poultry and fish. I just focus on what is right for me, and so far I feel healthier.

I do suggest people watch some documentaries on how the animals are treated on the farms that supply food to the grocery store. Furthermore, the farming industry creates more pollution world-wide than the transportation industry, so I think if you can find local farmers who will let you see how the animals are treated, that is the way to go. :)

There are numerous famous athletes out there who are Vegetarian or Vegan.

It takes some work to balance the amino-acids to ensure you are getting adequate protein, but it is possible.

There are a lot of cook books out there and online recipes etc.... Vegetarian versus Vegan isn't that difficult at all.

I wish everyone luck in becoming healthier whichever route they follow.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    BBC documentary of 'How to live to be a 100' and in that they introduced a community of 7th day Adventists, who had a higher then average life expectancy and aged better then the average American and one of the defining differences was that they ate a vegetarian diet, exercised moderately, and didn't smoke or drink.
    video sounds interesting.. thanks
    I think this person just wants help making the adjustment to being vegetarian - it isn't helping to debate whether vegetarianism is healthy or not, or healthier than eating meat - that is for another thread I think. While there are loads of references in popular books and academic medical journals which point to vegetarians/vegans living longer and healthier lives, for instance the American Journal of Medicine says that 97% of heart attacks would be avoided by a veggie diet, among others, and The near-vegan diet designed by Dean Ornish in the 90's is the first ever to halt and even reverse heart disease, the list goes on - my point is that somebody is not wrong simply because they have left their references out, so let's give them a break and just answer their question.

I am 99% vegetarian and have been veggie for over 10 years, and if you need any help or advice on something specific, let me know. I have made veggie dishes tasty and desirable for even the most avid meat eaters. I recommend getting some great-looking vegetarian cookbooks, because if you are used to eating "meat and two veg" type meals, you may not actually know how to cook tasty vegetarian meals. Sure, there are fake meat products like soy burgers and tofu dogs, but what I mean is that you need to learn how to make good, tasty meals that started out vegetable - that aren't modifications of better-tasting meat dishes. I was eating vegetarian in Alabama for years before I officially became "vegetarian" - In my home, we just had so many good vegetables, we weren't really concerned if there was meat on the plate - we certainly didn't miss it if it wasn't there. My in-laws, for instance, cook me a hunk of "veggie meat" plus peas and potatoes. Other than meat, the only thing they know how to cook is fake meat. They cannot actually fathom a real vegetarian meal. So get yourself some great cookbooks, and in the meantime, look at this website for ideas:

This one is good if you are vegan, but it may be a bit strict for you at first, 'cause a lot of these recipes use fake eggs or vegan cheese - I just make them vegetarian by using real cheese, real eggs, real milk etc.

http://vegweb.com/

Also, it doesn't hurt to give this one a try, and search for "vegetarian" recipes (though maybe search for "healthy" "vegetarian) because these people can use butter and cream and stuff - remember if you use the recipes from this website, substitute healthier fats such as olive oil instead of butter; use low fat/fat free mayos and cheeses when you can, etc. etc.

http://allrecipes.com/
    thanks
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't become obsessed and start telling your friends to also stop eating meat, and that they are animal haters for enjoying turkey on thanksgiving and so on.

I had that happen, and I'm no longer friends with her, because she went all psycho ***** on me about eating meat, when she had only recently when vegetarian herself. I have another friend who is vegetarian, and she has never once told me not to eat meat, and I've never tried to get her to eat meat either. We just let it be and its not a big deal.

If you can stick to it, then go for it!
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    923020_10151504087118224_293380576_n.jpg

You win. At life.
  • vnstallionsmith
    Options
    How has the road been? What tips do you have for others?