What are your feelings?

Options
jazi719
jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
Hello everyone, I am new here and reading some awesome success stories. Grats to all of you!

My question, "what are your feelings" goes to all of you who lost weight. How do you feel now? Did it truly make you happier? More confident?

I know just losing 20lbs will make my face thinner and will make me feel better when looking in the mirror. But has losing weight made an impact on any other areas of your life?

I thought about this question as I was attempting to fill out my profile. Why do I want to lose weight, other than health reasons and liking what I see in my mirror, which are good reasons of course. What else is there? I would love to hear your reasons. :smile:

Replies

• Amy11108
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight in the past (I gained it back) but one of the feelings that stood out was freedom. I can't wait to feel that freedom again! Being able to jump on a slide at the playground without getting stuck, go out to eat and be able to fit into any seat or booth. I just felt so FREE.

I am interested to hear what others have to say!
  • ajharries
    ajharries Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    For me, I like the feeling of control. I set a goal, and then track my progress towards it. When things are moving in the right direction, it gives me a lot of satisfaction to know that i am able to control that facet of my life. And if I can control that, I can control other things too, like my emotions, my finances, my job etc. etc.
  • wingchungym
    Options
    I wasn't far over weight ( just around 1 stone) but since shedding that extra fat my knees and ankles feel better, I have more energy and my jeans are far more comfy, I'm increasingly of the view that all of us individually have an optimum weight that our skellital structure can cope with, hope thats useful :smile:
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I feel much better and more confident. I have more energy and relish physical challenges. My aim was mostly to get in shape for my family and Im doing that and and went on from my first goal to set myself new goals. I dropped a size in jeans and that was a nice pat on my back as well, good to see. Overall I'd say only positives come from it. Well, except money, eating healthy sadly is expensive (stupidly).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'm still the same depressed, self-loathing person I've always been. Losing weight doesn't change that.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Very good thing to think about. I've actually been thinking about this a lot lately. I look in the mirror and I still see the same overweight person I've always saw. People around me are ooooing and ahhing at my weight loss. I'm in a size 14 for goodness sakes, I haven't been there in 15 years ... yet I still see an out of control person staring back at me. I put photos side by side and I can see the change, but in the mirror ... the vision I see every day ... still looks fat to me.

What I do feel is a since of balance. I noticed the other day that I can stand and put on a pair of pants. In other words I can stand on one foot and put on pants without falling over or loosing my balance. I can run up and down stairs. I climbed over a house size boulder this weekend, the last time I was on that trail I wouldn't even attempt it, I took a huge detour to keep from having to climb it. Since loosing weight I've found a physical balance. I still have as far to go as I have gone, I'm hoping I will achieve the emotional balance as well as the physical balance.
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For me, I like the feeling of control. I set a goal, and then track my progress towards it. When things are moving in the right direction, it gives me a lot of satisfaction to know that i am able to control that facet of my life. And if I can control that, I can control other things too, like my emotions, my finances, my job etc. etc.

I completely agree, my weight and what I eat are some of the only things I have complete control over. I also love seeing the results, they dive me to do more. Once I started seeing them I was addicted, I love my abs more than I love junk food.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I used to be a size 16, i'm now between a size 6 and a size 8 (UK). I can't tell you how much more confident i feel knowing i can (almost) wear whatever i want and nto worry about how i look in it, just how much lighter and more mobile i feel, how it's so refreshing not to have legs covered in sores because they rub together when i walk!
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    I'm still the same depressed, self-loathing person I've always been. Losing weight doesn't change that.
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha that's hilarious. :D
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Goodnamegone,

How do you know that person was joking. They could have been completely serious, which would then make your laughter a bit insensitive.

I agree with those who say they feel better in control. Also, even though I don't have tons of weight to lose, I understand those who say that they still feel like the fat person they used to be. Sometimes it's hard to see/acknowledge your own progress (we're our own worst critics).

For me, once my clothes start fitting better and/or I have to buy new ones, I feel more attractive.
  • cl_green
    Options
    I'm still in the process of reaching my goal, but I'm proud of myself for coming as far as I've come. I know that I can do this. I am in control, I can do this, and it's going to make me better. I am going to be healthier, stronger, more self confident, and just feel better. You can do this!
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

^^^ This and since I have a 3 yr old son, I need to be able to control SOMETHING! LOL

Satisfaction in reaching a goal is definitely part of it, but after having my son and gaining a ton of weight, I knew I would not be happy with myself unless I did something about it. I never did this for anyone else, I'm doing it for me and those who support me, great! Those who don't... bye bye.
  • cl_green
    Options
    I agree with you. Insensitivity like this can put a person over the edge - you hear about it all the time. Why would you do that?
    Goodnamegone,

How do you know that person was joking. They could have been completely serious, which would then make your laughter a bit insensitive.

I agree with those who say they feel better in control. Also, even though I don't have tons of weight to lose, I understand those who say that they still feel like the fat person they used to be. Sometimes it's hard to see/acknowledge your own progress (we're our own worst critics).

For me, once my clothes start fitting better and/or I have to buy new ones, I feel more attractive.
  • jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    So many great responses! Thank you everyone.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I want to get out of it, don't get me wrong, I have a list of things but apparently I need more??

zyxst.... have you considered counseling? For you to want to pursue this goal, you can't be that self-loathing because then why pursue any goals? I wish the best for you.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Still fat, just not as fat.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I feel younger, fitter, and stuff hurts less! I had all sorts of aches and pains in my feet, knees and hips, all gone! I can sit on the floor and stand up again without the aid of furniture! I can kneel or squat for ages for example, gardening, doing chores etc. Before I couldn't last 5 minutes. I am walking much quicker. I have more stamina.

I feel like me again!

I used to catch glimpses of myself reflected, for example in shop windows, and I'd cringe, and turn away - I'd dodge my reflection. Now, I look for my reflection because I want to see how great I'm looking! When I piled on the weight, I felt different from the rest of the world, now I feel back in it.

I feel more confident, I want to do things I'd have avoided before, I enjoy things more - just ordinary having-fun things! I used to cringe when my husband came home and said we'd been invited out to social things, Christmas parties, friends' houses, because I knew I'd have a crisis about what to wear, and feel lumpy and frumpy and miserable. Now, I'm desperate to get dressed up and go out! I want any and every excuse to put on my glad rags and go out and party! And I'm happy to detatch myself from the wall and talk to people! I didn't realise how bad it was till the weight was gone! But most of all, I used to hate clothes shopping - I used to pick out things based on the colour first, size second, and never tried stuff on, because it was so miserable. Now I feel so good about myself I love it, I can look at nice clothes and think it's worth trying on, instead of just mentally dismissing it because there's no way it'll fit even if they've got it in my size, and it certainly won't look good.

I feel on top of the world!
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I started because I didn't want to take medicine for diabetes and high blood pressure. I've lost over 50 lbs. At the moment I jave gained back 5. No problem. I know how to control it. At first I said o was only going to cut out sweets and fast food. I added salads. Then I went to a nutritionist. And she helped me undetstand how to eat.only restriction. Sweets are for special occassions. Still struggling with that one. And she said 15 minutes of walking per day. Almost a year later and I go to the gym at least 5 times a week. I am so happy because I am healthy. Was sick constantly. Critical sickness. Now I'm on my second goal. Need to lose 50 lbs. Not happier because of weight lose. Because of a lofestyle change. Good luck
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have as much work to do on my mind as on my body. But this is a life long venture... I am getting better on both issues but life is not over...
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    One of the interesting things I have found is that I am a lot less hesitant to do stuff. One day, I just decided I would go back to judo after being out for many years. One day, I decided I was going to give Bikram Yoga a try. Over the weekend, I was going to go to a Zumbathon benefit - but school work got in the way. The great thing is that this new feeling does not only relate to physical activities. I am more confident to move forward with work stuff or school projects that are outside of my comfort zone. Anyways, I think losing weight increased my confidence in many aspects of my life. I don't know why - but it did :)
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    Goodnamegone,

Oh no, that was serious? I assumed it was a joke it was so negative. Sometimes I make jokes like that. Very sad if it wasn't a joke and also kind of inappropriate. Apologies though if my misinterpretation caused offence.